Crappy audio on HT1550XLSs

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tvsjr

Crappy audio on HT1550XLSs

Post by tvsjr »

I have three HT1550XLSs, all with similarly bad audio:
1. VHF 136-174, firmware R05.00.03
2. UHF 450-520, firmware R05.00.03
3. UHF 403-470, firmware R05.03.02

After looking at these on a service monitor, all three put out a max of about 4kc TX deviation and clip badly. We did some tweaking, pulling up the VCO compensation and dropping the mic gain, and got to about 4kc dev with negligible clipping. However, the TX audio still has very, very little high-frequency response. So, a few questions:
1. What is the latest firmware rev for this radio, and where can I get it from? Any chance that will solve my problems?
2. Any ideas on how to fix the audio?

All three were purchased new, and I have a large collection of accessories, so I'd really like to make this large investment work correctly. Not one of these radios sounds anything like my collection of MTs, JTs, Visars, Sabers, ad nauseum.

A friend of mine purchased a 403-470 at the same time as mine (near-sequential serials) and has the same problem. His is back with Ma Moto getting tweaked (also had problems with power dying at inopportune moments) and I can do the same with mine, but I'd rather fix it myself and not have to deal with shipping them all back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

AUDIO PROBLEM

Post by MOEtorola »

I dont think this will help, but i thought i would pass it along.
I had the same type of problem with a 1250, found the problem was the voice storage board, the problem only appeared after i flash upgraded the radio.

sounds like big M might need to take a look.
I'll take a look at some SRN's on moto's site to see if the problem is known.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”