Railroad Spectra

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Ben

Railroad Spectra

Post by Ben »

What is so good about the railroad spectra's? Can they be programmed from the front panel?

Ben
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

hahahaha,

Well, they can be used in locomotives....That's what I'd use one for!
DKouz
VE2VGA
Batboard $upporter

Post by VE2VGA »

They are indestructibles and hard to find... :lol:
Radio99

Railroad Spectra

Post by Radio99 »

Contrary to a popular, previously posted belief, they cannot be programmed from the front panel. They are virtually indestructable and probably coluld take a direct hit from a Minuteman missile. Ther have 99 channel capability, 99 presets and some exceptionally loud audio. There is an extensive thread on this Board covering the Spectra Railroad Radio. Here is the link: http://www.batlabs.com/rrspectra.html
Ben

Post by Ben »

how much would they sell for if you can find them?
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

The new Astro models have up to 255 modes and a bunch of other neat stuff. Someone posted a link to moto's website with good info on the new model. These are just as tuff since they are in the same case.

Last I heard these went for $6000 new. For a used 'normal' version expect anywhere from $200-$800 depending on condition. Railroad service is rough, a beat up radio is abused!
DKouz
Radio99

Railroad Spectra

Post by Radio99 »

Keep an eye on Ebay as they appear there from time to time. Last one I saw went for quite a tidy sum (over $500.00 I believe). Aerotron made a railroad radio and there is one currently up on Ebay. By the way, it takes special software and cannot be programmed with the traditional Spectra mobile software.
Radio99

Digital Railroad Spectra

Post by Radio99 »

Here is the link previously mentioned for the new Astro Railroad Spectra

http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/docs/rail ... ochure.pdf
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

Speaking of the Aerotron. The same guy claims to have a bunch of these over at http://www.railswap.org $200. These are Aerotron's top of the line model with dtmf and 97 channels. Good radios as long as they are not abused.

These however, can not be reprogrammed, RR only.

I was thinking of buying a couple, but we don't need them. Already have 1 Aerotron and 2 Tracstars (pos).
DKouz
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The RR Spectra's will do all the AAR channels right from the front pad without a problem. You can use up the rest of the channels upto 128, but they are programmed in like a normal spectra.

The insides (RF deck etc) are the same as the normal spectra, accounting for different firmware etc. What also make them stand out is as far as the "front panel programming" is just that you can had AAR ch 5 for Rx and AAR ch 77 for Tx. They are independantly configurable.

Some RR districts use the same channel for Tx/Rx, and some use one channel for the road, then Tx on another while listening to the other to contact the dispatcher.

Also the RR spectra supports 72 or 12vDC off the rear connector.

Neat and built for abuse, but goes for high $$ on the open used market.

BTW: No scan feature.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nc5p
What radios do you own?: XPR5550 XTL5000 XTS2500(V&U)

Post by nc5p »

Somebody set us straight:

Doesn't this model need special RSS or will regular Spectra RSS work?

I saw one last August at the local hamfest, didn't buy it because I thought it needed special RSS.

Doug
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

RR Spectra and RSS, etc.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The railroad spectra uses a lot of the same code as a government model, perhaps the same code?
The RR spectra can be made to do 255 channels with a bit of hacking, and be made to load a frequency from service mode with a touch of tweaking, but, so can any spectra.
The RR spectra is a 12volt radio with an extra power supply input for 72volt.
The entire spectra hacking thing has been visited by natedog and myself, and a lot of progress has been made.
Motorola's position is that the software belongs to /\/\, and ANY changes are in voilation of copyright.
/\/\ has gone as far as to say a GP68 is against the law, in ham service?!, in the US as it is not type accepted in this service.
Motorola is in the business of selling radios, taking older radios and giving them "features or functions" not part of the original package is something they do not want to see, and will send out legal warnings over.
So, I act as if all /\/\ software is RSS, no matter what it does.
ricciticcitembo

Re: RR Spectra and RSS, etc.

Post by ricciticcitembo »

nc5p- To answer your question, Yes the RR Spectra DOES Need Special "Rail Road Spectra Software" Standard Spectra RSS will NOT Work on a big ass railroad radio at all.

Thank you.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”