Refurbing an HT 1000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GEMOTO

Refurbing an HT 1000

Post by GEMOTO »

Im new to the board but have been reading for a while. I have an Ht100 that I would like to recase. I was wondering how difficult it is to do and what types of tools I would need.

fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

From the service manual.

Remove the battery.

Remove the antenna and knobs.

Insert a small screwdriver in the slotted area at the bottom of the radio. Pry the frame from the case.

Pull the frame down so the knobs clear the case.

Disconnect the flex.

Reverse for assembly.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Thanks. Sounds like a snap!
radiofreak17

Post by radiofreak17 »

Be careful with the flex....it is very delicate...Other than that you should be ok.

Good luck
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

fire-medic8104 wrote:From the service manual.

Remove the battery.

Remove the antenna and knobs.

Insert a small screwdriver in the slotted area at the bottom of the radio. Pry the frame from the case.

Pull the frame down so the knobs clear the case.

Disconnect the flex.

Reverse for assembly.
The only "problem" with that is that the components don't come already installed in the front case. At least, not that I am aware of. Which means that you have to install the speaker, the microphone, the flex, etc., in the new front case. This is not a huge deal. A soldering iron, maybe a small screwdriver (for disconnecting the piece that holds the speaker down), and you should be ok. But there are probably a dozen or so "piece parts" that make up the front case assembly. Some ofthe stuff, I suppose, could be reused.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

you said a soldring iron. Isn't the speaker already attached to the radio and all I would have to do is mount the speaker to the new housing? I think I might pull the housing off tonight and take a look.
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

GEMOTO wrote:you said a soldring iron. Isn't the speaker already attached to the radio and all I would have to do is mount the speaker to the new housing? I think I might pull the housing off tonight and take a look.
No, the speaker gets soldered to the front panel flex, and then set in place behind the grille. After that, there is a metal piece, with three tabs, that "lock" into slots on the back of the front panel, holding the speaker in place.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Sounds a bit more involved than I originally thought. O well.
Radioshop

Housing Replacement

Post by Radioshop »

Mot. Part # NTN-7151B Front cover- Non Display comes with Flex, Speaker, Mic and side connector already in the housing. All you have to do is remove old housing unplug the flex. Plug new housing flex in snap radio back together.
HT-1000 15 key DTMF Housing all parts in housing part # NTN-7156B

I replaced 4 today in about 3 minites.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: Housing Replacement

Post by MTS2000des »

Radioshop wrote:Mot. Part # NTN-7151B Front cover- Non Display comes with Flex, Speaker, Mic and side connector already in the housing. All you have to do is remove old housing unplug the flex. Plug new housing flex in snap radio back together.
HT-1000 15 key DTMF Housing all parts in housing part # NTN-7156B

I replaced 4 today in about 3 minites.
Why spend 94.00 for an NTN7151 (which you will spend about another 8.00 on the top escutcheon and front labels) when you can spend around 40.00 on a refurb kit (assuming the speaker and mike are good)? The DTMF front cover is even more OURAGEOUSLY PRICED at nearly 160 bucks...and there is almost NO circuitry on the board, just some contacts, a few diodes and LED's...and they STILL don't give you the stickers (even though the NTN7156 is ONLY used on the HT1000!).

It isn't hard, you will need to remove the following (assuming they are good) from the old housing: the flex with speaker/mike assembly, sound dampening pad, speaker felt and acutator for the RF switch. If you use care with the sound dampening pad and speaker felt, it CAN be reused. The actuator can be removed by using a pointed object from the inside, push on it with mild pressure and it will pop out. Be extra careful when removing the items (such as the pad and felt) with adhesive. I do it slowly and never have had a problem.

Assemble your new front cover, and your done. While your'e at it, you may want to check the condition of the contoured O-ring and control top/emeregency button seals. If they are brittle or cracked, replace them too, only a few bucks more and will keep the radio well sealed in the new plastic.
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

The only thin I have to add to WC4RAV's explanation is that you
DO NOT NEED A SOLDERING IRON. :lol:
DKouz
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

My apologies. I misunderstood what you were doing. If you are reusing all of the electronics from the old front case, then you do not need an iron. I assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that you would be replacing all of the electronics in it as well. If you are going to reuse the flex, speaker, microphone, etc., then you can do that with just a minimum of tools. As for the part number that includes all of these electronic items, I have to admit, I didn't even know that that part number existed. My bad, if I caused any undue confusion.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

This is what I was going to purchase unless I found something on ebay.

http://www.radioaccessories.com/storefr ... ctID=53447
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

Be sure you lift up on the "Release" on the connector before pulling out the flex circuit. Reinstall the flex and then push the release back down to hold the flex in place.
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

GEMOTO wrote:This is what I was going to purchase unless I found something on ebay.
Not that bad of a deal. I think these are the same,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3070853669

go to http://www.myradiomall.com/search.asp and enter REX4398A, Price is $33.99

Any of these kits (should all be the same) will work for you.
DKouz
danblashkc81
New User

Re: Refurbing an HT 1000

Post by danblashkc81 »

If you are looking at the front of the radio board With the dials switch and antenna connector facing away from you maybe I am missing something, but where is the release for the flex connector. Got the flex out but can't get it back in

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”