Programming : IBM Thinkpad

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorolamonster911

Programming : IBM Thinkpad

Post by motorolamonster911 »

I just got a new IBM think pad, and I have the hard-drive partitioned, one side normal XP OS and the other DOS 6.22 and all my RSS.

When I boot my computer it gives me the choice of going to XP or DOS ...

If I go to DOS and try to read a radio it just keeps flashing : Accessing Serial Bus .... over and over until it finally fails.

If I go to XP and read a radio under "virtual dos" it works, but a little bit slower.

I did exactly what our radio shop done to their laptops for progrmming but mine dont work.

I want it all to work in DOS mode, any ideas??
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Something to check, Maybe windows XP is using the serial port. I had some problems with xp utilizing things it really doesn't need to. Also, sometimes laptops (espicially) IBM Thinkpads have their own utilities to turn on/off ports i.e. seriel, LPT etc. etc. Also, virtual dos XP is using I believe the windows settings for ports, where as dos uses the IBM utility to assign and control ports...I might be wrong, but it is something to check...Good Luck, Rob
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

How does that work? Can you format each partition with a different type? Fat 16, or 32 and NTFS?

mancow
cfd1736

Post by cfd1736 »

I have a IBM thinkpad 755ce 486dx machine and I can't get the comm port to work. THe machine is loaded with dos 6.2 only. How do I check to see if the comm port is on/off. Where can I turn it on if it is off? Thanks.

Dennis
Dkouz
Batboard $upporter

Post by Dkouz »

mancow wrote:How does that work? Can you format each partition with a different type? Fat 16, or 32 and NTFS?
Yup
FMROB wrote:Something to check, Maybe windows XP is using the serial port.
Can't be that, he booted DOS not windows.
DKouz
giantcake

Part-1 TP Serial Port

Post by giantcake »

In your TP's BIOS, check to make sure that COM-1 is set to on. DOS relies on the BIOS settings, Winblows does not.

Hard boot the TP into DOS. (shutdown, power off, start up)

What will help to troubleshoot serial port problems is if you can download the old shareware Procomm terminal software. (Or any old dos terminal software)

Start procomm, set for any baud rate, no hardware control, no flow control.

With a small screwdriver or other small metallic object touch pins 2 and 3 together on the DB9 serial connector on the back. Don't bend the pins!!

Type a few characters on the terminal program, you should see characters come back to the screen. What your doing is taking your TX data pin and connecting it back to your RX data pin on the DB9 connector. (loopback).

If this works the serial port is working under DOS correctly.

Here is a legal site with Procomm/Dos you can download for free from:
http://www.aspectscripting.com/support.html

Having a dos terminal progam comes in handy for other good things also.

-Steve
giantcake
giantcake

Part-2 TP Serial Port

Post by giantcake »

On this site: http://www.aspectscripting.com/support.html you will want to download this file, unzip it and install it into your dos partition. This is a dos shareware program.

filename: procomm243.zip

If you need the dos unzip program search for this file which a lot of web sites still have in their old archives for download. (handy to have this also!) This is a dos shareware program.

filename: pkz204g.exe

Finally, if the TP is a 380 or 770 series you might have to jumper some additional pins on the DB9 serial port for use under dos. I've had to do that for a few other serial comm programs I use under dos with these models.

-Steve
giantcake
giantcake

Thinkpad Serial Port

Post by giantcake »

On another note, do you have an actual DB9 serial port on the computer or are you trying to use a USB adaptor to DB9 Serial Port ?

Most of the new laptops no longer have a "real" serial port on them.

-Steve
giantcake
cfd1736

Post by cfd1736 »

OK... don't flame me for this but how do I get into the BIOS to check on the serial port settings? Thanks for your help.

Dennis
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

My last IBM had you press F10 when it was booting up. Another IBM I had was F2. And if that's not bad enough I've seen a few that used F1. It should say upon startup which key to press to enter the bios or setup program. The more I think about it I think it's F1 on the 755...
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
tomsdad

Re: Programming : IBM Thinkpad

Post by tomsdad »

motorolamonster911 wrote:I just got a new IBM think pad, and I have the hard-drive partitioned, one side normal XP OS and the other DOS 6.22 and all my RSS.

When I boot my computer it gives me the choice of going to XP or DOS ...

If I go to DOS and try to read a radio it just keeps flashing : Accessing Serial Bus .... over and over until it finally fails.

If I go to XP and read a radio under "virtual dos" it works, but a little bit slower.

I did exactly what our radio shop done to their laptops for progrmming but mine dont work.

I want it all to work in DOS mode, any ideas??
Just went through a similar drama with my new Thinkpad - turned out there was a setting in BIOS where you could set the serial port address and IRQ up - or let the OS do it for you.

Once manually set my thinkpad programs like a champ in DOS;-)

Hope it helps,

Steve
motorolamonster911

Tomsdad,

Explain how you did this, I'm having trouble with it.... :lol:

And YES the TP has a true DB9 connector in the back.

-Nick
MotorolaMonster911

"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

What model ThinkPad do you have? I know my T40 (not more then a few months old) doesn't have a serial port.
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

I have a thinkpad 770 that I use for programming. When I first set up system commander to partition the drive and load everything, the next thing you need to do is go to ibm's website and download the bios drivers for your computer. Search on their website for "thinkpad features". This is a bios program that allows you to set everything up.

Once I did that and enabled the com ports it worked perfectly.

There is one for windows and one for dos. You have to download both of them to get it to work for the cps and rss. It is pretty simple once you download the programs to enable it.

You have to disable the infrared port and enable the com port. The infrared port has the same address as the com port that is why it needs to be disabled.

I have done about 10 thinkpads this way. If you still have trouble after that, I will try to dig out my settings so I can give you an example to go by.
cfd1736

Post by cfd1736 »

Ok I have searched the ibm web site and I can't find anything like that. Suggestions? Thanks again.

Dennis
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

What model do you have?
cfd1736

Post by cfd1736 »

I have the 755ce 486dx100 machine
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

On the bottom you should have a "type" number near the serial number. Post that one too.
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Also, what windows version are you using?
cfd1736

Post by cfd1736 »

9545-7be
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4ZFRG3

this should work for windows

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIE-3AXE3E

this should work for dos.

These only list 760 770 and others but I talked to a service manager with IBM and he said they were the same matrix and should work. If not, just uninstall them. They will do no permanent damage.
motorolamonster911

I have a T30 with serial port,
MotorolaMonster911

fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Yours would be:

windows
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4ZFRG3

dos
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4ZFPEG

Hope this helps.

Just need to download the first .exe file and follow the on screen instructions.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I have a IBM 380 ED that I use for most programming. It has a thinkpad utility that configures that ports, on/off, location, etc. This is done through windows. And yes, while he is okay in windows and not okay in DOS, chances are that windows is occupying the serieal port, for what ever reason.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Everything that IBM utility does can be done directly in the BIOS itself... just press F1
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

The problem I have seen with all the IBMs I have encountered if the thinkpad features is not installed you can not access the bios settings.

Also, with the dos partitioned it doesn't see the settings unless you install the thinkpad features for dos. There are several dos commands to go through and then it saves your settings so everytime you boot up, it comes back to your settings.
tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

motorolamonster911 wrote:Tomsdad,

Explain how you did this, I'm having trouble with it.... :lol:

And YES the TP has a true DB9 connector in the back.

-Nick
Ok, my TP is a T22 - but I see no reason why it shouldn't apply to later models with a DB9 serial port as long as the BIOS is similar.

1. Power Up the TP

2. Hit the F1 key to enter BIOS

3. Select Config <enter>

4. Select Serial Port <enter>

5. Enable Serial Port

6. Set I/O address and IRQ - in my case it's the Com1 defacto standard of 3F8 IRQ4

7. F10 save and exit

Once I had done this on my T22 I went from not being able to R/W through RSS to no problems.

Good luck!

Steve
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Just another suggestion....Loose the crapy windows XP and go with a good platform like Win98SE and you won't have these problems anymore...
motorolamonster911

I enabled port and it worked!

I now have read/write capabilities and it works great!

Thanks for the help you guys!

- Nick
MotorolaMonster911

tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

motorolamonster911 wrote:I enabled port and it worked!

I now have read/write capabilities and it works great!

Thanks for the help you guys!

- Nick
Good to hear you've got it working - where my instructions of any use, or was your T30 way different?

Steve
motorolamonster911

First I used Fire-Medic's program, then I found out it was easier to do it through the original BIOS.. Both ways worked!

Your instructions did come in handy, I had no idea how to get my computer into BIOS CONFIG because it seems everyone of my computers is different.

Thanks again for the help!
MotorolaMonster911

fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Glad to hear everything worked out okay. I have never been able to get them to go into the bios setting without it.

That maybe something specific to the 770 because that is all I have ever ran across.

Actually it was another batlabber who showed me how to do it.

But glad to hear you made it work either way.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”