Wanted.....Help w/ Sys Saber in Tucson Az.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Biggame

Wanted.....Help w/ Sys Saber in Tucson Az.

Post by Biggame »

I have a sys saber that will transmt fine, but will not recieve audio.

When recieveing the red light will blink.

The ONLY sound it makes is when u turn the radio off and then it has that low "pop sound.

I was hoping someone in the Tucson Az area would like to help me trouble shoot this. I have NO RIB or anything to do this myself.

I would be willing to pay for the services.

Thanks

Larry in Tucson

Biggame223@msn.com
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Sys Saber...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Have you tried pushing the side button on the radio at the top? That will defeat the PL/DPL in the event such is now set on every channel programmed into the radio.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Biggame

Post by Biggame »

Thanks for the reply

Yes sir I did try the side buttons.

No audio from them.
giantcake

Systems Saber No audio

Post by giantcake »

I just finished working on a VHF systems saber here for the first time.

Does your SS have encryption capability? It's that funny switch left of the volume control. It needs to be flipped to the front towards the "O" symbol.

If you push the button above the PTT and still do not hear receiver noise, then perhaps the encryption module has been removed. You'll need a bypass module, or a short piece of wire to jumper inside the radio.

Also, let me know if the dtmf key pad has you bamboozled, I finally figured out how to make mine work.

-Steve
AEC
No Longer Registered

No RX audio in Systems Saber..

Post by AEC »

Since you tried the somewhat obvious, have you removed the front shield and inspected the ribbon flex cables for proper seating?
Once in a while, the flex cables move out of their crimpoed holes and break contact.
A trick used on the old MT-500s was to apply pressure on the pin receptacles and re-crimp them for a firmer fit, this is a common cause due to shock/vibration and had to be done to retain full pin contact.
Circle M loves those types of connections and they are good but will cause headaches if you remove and replace modules often on the radio.
You may also look at the hybrids as well, the RX module isnn't too picky, but the other one is very picky and will cut off the audio if the back cover isn't screwed down fairly tight(the rear cover also secures the synthesizer to the main board( ID #:NLE9461A or similar)depending on bandsplit.
Also, tighten all the frame screws to make sure as well. ESPECIALLY on the P.A module as there is almost NO heatsink for this and the module uses the frame for heatsinking and ground.

I hope this helps.......

73!

Ernest A. Erickson
Applied Electronic Communications, AEC
3960 Moen Lake Road
Rhinelander, WI. 54501
715.617.9823(cell)
ka9uce@netscape.net
RKG

Post by RKG »

Someone else suggested it also, but your symptoms sound like someone removed an encryption module before selling the radio, and did not replace it with the bypass filler. That filler is required to complete the audio path; the "clunk" you're hearing is the audio amplifier unloading. Without the bypass filler, no audio will be passed to the audio amplifier; I don't have any more of these fillers, but someone on the board might. (They are entirely passive and not very expensive; it may still be a Motorola catalog part.)
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

A common if inelegant solution to fix a module-less saber is simply a wire jumper. Its described here.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”