Spectra heads : how to identify them ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VE2VGA
Batboard $upporter

Spectra heads : how to identify them ?

Post by VE2VGA »

Hello,

Just wondering, how do you identify a Spectra head from another ?

What's the difference between a A5, C5, E5 and so on...?

I'd checked thoroughly the site, but didn't saw any reference to this.

Thanks!
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Have you looked through the Motorola Gallery on the main site?
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
d119

Post by d119 »

With regards to the letter, it specifies the radio signalling format.

A = Conventional
B = Privacy Plus Trunking & Conventional
C = SmartNET Trunking & Conventional
D = Advanced Conventional Stat-Alert (I've never seen this)
E = Enhanced Privacy Plus (whatever that is)

And so on and so forth. A & B models are by far the most popular, and C being the next most popular and E the last most popular. I don't believe that with A3, A4, A5 and A7 heads that it matters whether or not the head is actually on a conventional or trunking radio (so long as the correct buttons are programmed and physically installed), as the signalling format of the radio is determined in firmware that's actually in the radio.

Now as for the A9 enhanced heads, those may be specific to trunking and conventional. I know they were with the Syntor X9000.

The number designates the features of the control head.

A3 = "HHCH", Hand Held Control Head. All controls built into the microphone. 2 Character mode display.

A4 = "Intermediate Package", Rotary Volume & Mode controls with pushbutton feature controls. 8 Character Display.

A5 = "Standard Package", 5 feature buttons + three fixed buttons on the right side (Horn/Lights, Monitor, Direct/Talkaround). Rocker Volume/Mode switches. 8 Character Display.

A7 = "Expanded Package", 5 feature buttons + DTMF on the right side that can also double as more feature buttons. Rocker Volume/Mode switches. 8 Character Display.

A9 = "Full Feature", 5 feature buttons + DTMF on the right side that can also double as more feature buttons. Rocker Volume/Mode switches. Available Zone rocker as an option. 11 Character display. Available as remote-mount only.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the features of the control head variations, but that's the basics. I hope this helps.
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

Lets not forget the all important..

W = Programmable aka Astro Spectra

These are pretty much the same as regular spectra heads, but with different firmware, so unfortunately they are not interchangeable
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Is the "E" version not SmartZone?

If not - what is a SmartZone Spectra?

-Mike
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:Is the "E" version not SmartZone?

If not - what is a SmartZone Spectra?

-Mike

The E version radio is in fact a Smartzone. There are a number of them in use here in Loiusiana on the state system.

Jim
VE2VGA
Batboard $upporter

Post by VE2VGA »

Thank you all for your replies, now i've got a good idea of what is what :)

I'll keep and print this thread as an excellent source of information!

As you may guess, i'm a newbie on this interesting stuff.

I may have another question about this subject: i recently got a conventional VHF dashmount Spectra. The radio was a bit dirty so i planned to remove at least the head and take it apart to clean it up a bit. To my surprise, all the pushbuttons rubbers pads are there (including the DTMF portion wich is not showing on the head).

I didn't try them yet (the radio is blanked and i must have it reprogrammed soon), but i guess that they will not be all functional, right ?

techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

The model list shows a type 2 head (limited), and a type 8 ( expanded control station)..
what are those about? is the 8 the dgt9000? or something completely different?
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

Don't forget about the "2" model - which resembles the "5" model.
/\/\|k.e
VE2VGA
Batboard $upporter

Post by VE2VGA »

Techie : both pictures are from the same unit.

The first picture shows the complete unit and the second picture is what i've found , once the faceplate removed, from that same radio...
Leadenwah

Post by Leadenwah »

I understood the Spectra "E" series heads ( E5, E7 ) were for SmartZone, but what function does the control head itself play in the Smart Zone ? That is, what is the, say, E-7 head doing for that SmartZone radio which the A-7 cannot?

Is there Firmware in the "E" heads which is Exclusively for SmartZone?

Conversely, are there functions for an A-7 Spectra radio which the E-7 cannot perform ?

The more I learn of such things, the more I realize how little I knew.

Thanks,
Geo.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

The Spectra is a combination of both code plug and control head type. For example, the exact same control head circuit board (with different front plastic) is used in both an A5 and A7 radio. You can put an A7 head on an A5 radio (which has in internal A5 code plug in its MLM) and none of the new keys on the A7 will work. The only keys that work are the old A5 keys. The cause of this is the A5 code plug inside the radio drawer.

The Spectra control heads have been through an entire development process and there are many different versions of the control head circuit boards. I do not know if any of the trunking radios require newer boards or not. Keeping this in mind, generally speaking, an A2, B2, C2, E2, A5, B5, C5, E5, A7, B7, C7 or E7 control heads are all the same control head circuit boards. It is the code plug inside the radio that makes the A, B, C, E, 2, 5 or 7 difference, not the control head.

The A4, B4, C4 and E4 control heads have also been through an entire development process and there are many different versions of the control head circuit boards. Still, they use the same circuit board for all these rotary heads.

The A9, B9, C9 and E9 are an older design that have different "look alike" models from older radios. Still, the "guts" of the Spectra versions of these control heads are the same. Once again, it is the radio drawer code plug on the MLM that makes the difference.

The command board, MLM and code plug inside a Spectra determines how the control head behaves. Of course there are limitations with older versions of the MLM and you need the flashable command board for the Spectra II or (these are the E radios), etc.

I almost forgot to mention, on the Spectra II radios, the MLM is replaced with a flash chip soldered on the command board. So the E code plug in not in a separate MLM board, it is in the flash chip instead.

Here is some additional info:
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/spectra/#combo
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/spectra/cheads.html
VE2VGA
Batboard $upporter

Post by VE2VGA »

Thanks Mike for all your additional infos, i really appreciated them.

Excellent website also, good reference.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”