Channel Labels for Saber 1 & similar radios...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Channel Labels for Saber 1 & similar radios...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I needed to find a method to temporarily label my Saber 1 radios so I'd know what channel 1, 2, etc. were set for. With my old, bad memory this is a problem, more so on a Saber 1E.

I made labels, white on black, using MS Excel, which turned out fine, but then the question was how to get them to stick to the radio without doing permanent damage to the case. First I tried that stick-on laminating plastic, leaving about 1/8 inch on each side to stick to the radio. Didn't work well at all; too little area holding too big a label. Next I trimmed all of the laminating plastic from the edges, leaving a protected label, and then...: Finally discovered a better way by using the thin double-sided sponge foam (looks like it's about 1/16 inch thick), sticking it to the back of the label, then trimming it to the size of the label. Looks like a real lamacoid plastic label, not thick at all, with the plastic shiny covering.

But my point is, how do YOU handle this problem/question?
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
giantcake

P-Touch

Post by giantcake »

Tom,

If you know someone with a Brother P-Touch machine with the USB port you can print excel .xls stuff to 3/4" or 1" wide tape. I use it with the white print on clear backing and it looks like a label the factory would put on. Peels off easily when your done. Works well. The machine comes with a reasonable graphics program to do some custom graphics.

Other than that, a customer of mine prints on Avery 8.5"x11" adhesive backed paper, cuts to size, then applies it to the battery. :o to get off when it needs to be changed. They also print white characters on a black background so it doesn't attract a lot of attention.

I also imagine you could use those Avery business cards that come in the full sheets and print on those, punch out, then just carry in the wallet or hand out.

These methods allow for logos or other custom graphics also.

-Steve
RKG

Post by RKG »

For Saber radios (in my case, Systems Sabers, but the case and belt clip are the same), I make labels (white letters on black background) using a word processor. I then trim them to size and tape them to the back (outside) of the belt clip using high quality packing tape. The tape is cut so that it overlaps the edge of the clip and lays down on the front (inside) of the belt clip.

Now, you would think that the wear and tear of putting the radio on and taking it off would quickly abrade such labels, but in fact they last quite well. The packing tape is completely transparent when properly pressed out, looks good, and stands up well.

I've also done the same thing for the belt clips on non-display Jedi radios, with the same good results. (The belt clips are easier to remove from the Jedi battery than from the Saber case.)
EngineerZ

Post by EngineerZ »

RKG wrote:... I make labels (white letters on black background) using a word processor. I then trim them to size and tape them to the back (outside) of the belt clip using high quality packing tape.

...Now, you would think that the wear and tear of putting the radio on and taking it off would quickly abrade such labels, but in fact they last quite well. The packing tape is completely transparent when properly pressed out, looks good, and stands up well....
I've done something similar with good results. I usually print onto an Avery self-adhesive label. Attaching the label to the radio before the tape makes it easier to get the label and tape positioned exactly where you want it. If I only have a few channels programmed I will use a small font and cut the label to fit an empty "label depression" on the back of the case. You'll probably have to try a couple of different brands of packing tape to find the one that works best for you. I have also found that 3M "book tape" works pretty well. (Book tape is the clear stuff that libraries put on the spines of their paperback books to help the bindings last longer...)

Someone mentioned that Avery labels can be a pain to remove. A good portion of the label will probably come off when you remove the packing tape. I usually just use a little "Goo Gone" and the rest comes right off.
Follow up with a little 409 or Fantastik and you won't be able to tell their was a label there...

--z

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”