Spectra Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EM-01

Spectra Question

Post by EM-01 »

Hello Everyone,

I have an aquatence that has a Spectra with the A5 head mod #D44KXA7JA5BK and it will only program 22 channels and when he tries to increase the amount of channels the rss tells him "value outside the range for this model. Please refer to the service manual"

Can you tell me what is up with this? I thought they were all 128 channel.

Thanks
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee County SkyWarn Association
Okmulgee County Sheriff's Office
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
fred.mcguire.jr@gmail.com
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Sounds like the MLM is screwed up as that is a conventional only model.

Makes no sense. Or he's not adding the channels correctly.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

Most D44's are 450-482 MHz, but there are variations of course that are different, like 403-433.

The error you are getting is because it is programmed out of range. But the easy way to tell is to read the radio and look at the bandsplit on the read codeplug in the RSS. The later versions of the Spectra RSS will allow out of band programming.

What is the bandsplit (freq range) of the radio and what frequency is he programming. What version of RSS is he using?

oops, reread the post, was thinking about when adding a channel and programming. If you can't add any channels, it may have something to do with as said and trying to enable zones when it isn't capable. You should see the number of channels enabled in I think the 'radio wide' menu.
Last edited by elkbow on Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
metro121

Post by metro121 »

The problem you are have is probly due to force feeding a bad codeplug archive into the radio. This is also a common problem when someone tries to enable ZONES into a radio that is no capable of doing ZONES

If the radio model you describe is the origanal on the radio, the radio was probly a 403-433 trunking radio and someone tried to make it a differant band split or something else. In any case, you still have a pooh pooh code plug stuck in the radio.

Try reprogramming with a code plug that you know works and see what happens. Even if the new code plug is the wrong band split, you can go back and bit bang it to the correct band split.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”