Australian Customs

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

No Longer Registered

Australian Customs

Post by 8443833 »

Does anyone know if i would have any problems in getting an Astro Saber III through customs here in australia as i am getting one sent to me from from L.A

Any information on the processes customs use would be helpful as i am concerned as to whether or not i would be able to get it through customs and if not, what would happen to the radio.

Regards,
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Post by rrfd43 »

Had one come to me from Australia, said on the packge "return from radio repair". Good luck!
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

well australia is one of the Few contries we are still freinds with and who like us. so i dont think it should be an issue
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

KitN1MCC wrote:well australia is one of the Few contries we are still freinds with and who like us. so i dont think it should be an issue
Give it time my friend, give it time.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

Give it time my friend, give it time.
i agree we can piss off anyone
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

The Aussies still have balls. I would bet on them over the UK. :wink:

mancow
Nickdap

Post by Nickdap »

Customs won't do anything. except perhaps a duty. They take the view that anything not on there own list that may offend state laws is to be left to the state police. This is confirmed by those in the know at Australian Customs.
louis

Post by louis »

Are you bring the radio in or tacking it out and then comming back in with it.

I have taken radios though the Aust customs a number of times ( also service monitors), with no problems. I was advised on my last trip I should declare them on the way out.

Note, if the radio do no have the "C-Tick" on it it will not be type approved in AUS.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

C tic

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

I have seen where governments have gotten picky about type approval.
I have never had an issue where the governments approval was on the device, be it a radio, laptop, or whatever.
Usually that is all you need.
Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Post by Motoman »

I've carried 6 portables though customs with do problems. for importing via air customs shouldn't have a problem they are just really looking for drugs and illegal items radios are fine if u say your with an amature radio club on the package they won't care. If u go with a courier customs usually just x-ray it to check for illegal items and that's it you sould be fine. However if it's something large like a service mointer or a GR300 repeater they may get suspects the check it out and may put on a duty, so just remeber to keep your import items small.
Motoman at your service!
Nickdap

Post by Nickdap »

If it doesn't have a C tick then you are not supposed to use the radios. Radios that have previously been accepted and conform to ministerial standards, and if they do or do not have a compliance sticker are thus fine to. The aca's un official compliance stance is as long as the equipment is type approved you can modify it any way you like as long as it's not noisy. i.e. they won't act until someone complains.

Hence if you bring in a radio from the states although it won't be type approved, if its spec then it’s not likely to offend anyone listening to it so you won't have a problem.

Back to the topic, bringing in two way radios which are not type approved is not illegal. It is not on the list of prohibited import items, so you a not guilty of a contravention of the ‘importing a prohibited import item’ law.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

[quote="Motoman"]I've carried 6 portables though customs with do problems. for importing via air customs shouldn't have a problem they are just really looking for drugs and illegal items radios are fine if u say your with an amature radio club on the package they won't care. If u go with a courier customs usually just x-ray it to check for illegal items and that's it you sould be fine. However if it's something large like a service mointer or a GR300 repeater they may get suspects the check it out and may put on a duty, so just remeber to keep your import items small.[/quote]

Big expensive stuff like service monitors and spectrum analysers get sent in all the time, and it doesn't worry Customs much at all. The average Customs bloke doesn't know nor care what the piece of gear is.

As for a GR300, it'd be cheaper to buy one here, considering the shipping cost because of how much one weighs.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”