ht1250 battery indicator problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocomms95

ht1250 battery indicator problem

Post by radiocomms95 »

Hello,
I have an HT1250 with a brand new aftermarket battery and an old /\/\ battery. When using the /\/\ battery, I get the battery indicator. When using the aftermarket battery, I don't get the indicator. Does anyone know why? I can't find anything in the manual to explain this.
The battery does hold a charge, and it fully functional otherwise.
Thanks
RadComm
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: ht1250 battery indicator problem

Post by Josh »

radiocomms95 wrote:Hello,
I have an HT1250 with a brand new aftermarket battery and an old /\/\ battery. When using the /\/\ battery, I get the battery indicator. When using the aftermarket battery, I don't get the indicator. Does anyone know why? I can't find anything in the manual to explain this.
The battery does hold a charge, and it fully functional otherwise.
Thanks
RadComm
It doesn't work because it's not a real HT1250 battery.

I've got an XTS2500 battery that indeed fits on the HT1250 but does the same thing. It has something to do with a resistor or something in the battery that the radio uses to sense whether or not the correct battery is on it or not.

-Josh
radiocomms95

Post by radiocomms95 »

Is this something potentially damaging to the radio? I'm going to get a genuine /\/\ battery, but still want to use the aftermarket as a spare.

RadComm
Josh

Post by Josh »

radiocomms95 wrote:Is this something potentially damaging to the radio? I'm going to get a genuine /\/\ battery, but still want to use the aftermarket as a spare.

RadComm
No, it should work just fine, you just won't know when the battery is low until it starts chirping at you..

-Josh
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Josh wrote:
radiocomms95 wrote:Is this something potentially damaging to the radio? I'm going to get a genuine /\/\ battery, but still want to use the aftermarket as a spare.

RadComm
No, it should work just fine, you just won't know when the battery is low until it starts chirping at you..

-Josh
it will work fine. The motorola battery will lose the battery indicator feature when that little resistor/diode burns out or shorts...so if you use a third party charging or conditioner, make sure it's set up right the first time.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

In the CPS where you set up the front keypad, there is an option that turns on the led battery indicator that shows green for full charge, orange for half and red for low. Don't know if it will work since the guage doesn't work but it's worth a try.
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
Josh

Post by Josh »

hooknladder wrote:In the CPS where you set up the front keypad, there is an option that turns on the led battery indicator that shows green for full charge, orange for half and red for low. Don't know if it will work since the guage doesn't work but it's worth a try.
Nope, that won't work either

-Josh
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Josh wrote: No, it should work just fine, you just won't know when the battery is low until it starts chirping at you..
-Josh
The radio won't even do that, it will just shut off and on, off and on.
K8TEK::Tim
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

Kind of along the same line of batteries and charging, has anyone ever had a problem of the radio making the 'power up' noise when the radio is charging (with the battery attached)? It makes the noise every 5 to 10 minutes until it is pulled out of the charger. I have no idea what would cause this, does anyone?
Al

Post by Al »

Defective/incorrectly specified zener diode near the flex connector on the PCB. SRN1331 details the fix for this problem.
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

Is the diode being defective/incorrect doing any damage to the radio? I am not sure it is under warranty any more. It is only annoying to me. I can always pull the battery out and charge it without the radio.
radiocomms95

Post by radiocomms95 »

sheriffe9 wrote:
Josh wrote: No, it should work just fine, you just won't know when the battery is low until it starts chirping at you..
-Josh
The radio won't even do that, it will just shut off and on, off and on.
Just a point of reference - the radio does indeed work with the aftermarket battery, barring the battery indicator. It's an annoyance I can deal with. Thanks for the help!
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

I was making reference to the battery indicator. If the battery indicator does not work, how does the radio know the battery is low? The answer is it won't know, the radio will just die without notice.
K8TEK::Tim
radiocomms95

Post by radiocomms95 »

sheriffe9 wrote:I was making reference to the battery indicator. If the battery indicator does not work, how does the radio know the battery is low? The answer is it won't know, the radio will just die without notice.
Good point - I'm sorry I misunderstood your last post.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”