Saber batteries on eBay..

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1338099467

Anybody ever used these batteries? Are they OK? I need some medium-duty batteries for my saber...the price is right, I just don't know if the quality is...

Thanks,

FireRadio
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

I've bought a couple. Electrically they are fine, but they have a couple of physical shortcomings.

First, the fit on both of the units I have is very tight. It takes a lot (I mean A LOT) of force to get them to slide on and off. I actually usually have to force the catch to latch. I have heard the same complaints from other users.

The other problem is that the cases are extremely prone to cracking if dropped onto the base.

If you're uing them for fairly gentle duty, and mostly leaving them on the radio, they should be a good value. Otherwise go with Motorola. (I've had very good results with Multiplier as well)
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I purchased one for my VHF saber a few months back, and as you stated, The $$ was right but I can tell you that the quality was surely not there.

The battery barely fit onto the radio. I thought that it was my radio so I tried the battery on an astro here and that was even worse of a tight fit.

I was extremely dis satisfied since I needed the battery for a certain event and I ended up having motorola drop ship again, (which by the way is a nightmare in itself)

Everyone: Save $$, Use Mulitplier or moto. Stay AWAY from the ebay seller of $29.00

I was tempted to try them again the other day, but after reading this thread, I will not.

Anyone have any good stories about the ebay $29.00 special?
mike m

Post by mike m »

kind of off track here since you wanted a med cap pack but I just picked up an W&W manufacturing high cap 2700MaH/NmH, the W&W model number is HC-060VM-4595M, and the fit is perfect on the sabers that I've tested it on, the life time is the best I've had with a saber so you may want to check W&W out also, the price for such a high C pack was great also sometimes they have monthly specials.

Mike
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I bought 2 of those batteries several monthes ago. Same excuse here....price was right. One battery was very tight, and the other one was so loose it wouldn't make contact and the radio would shut off and loose my encryption key. Figuring this was a little strange I swapped the batteries on the 2 radios and same problem but on the other radio. Then about a month ago I accidently dropped the one battery off the kitchen table onto the floor....cracked the case wide open. I'll pay the Motorola price for a dependable battery.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Thanks! Sounds like y'all just saved me 30 bucks. I think I'm going to go with Multiplier. I've got one of their batteries on my MT1000 and the thing never dies, its great! Can anybody recommend a good online retailer for Multiplier batteries, or should I just order direct from Multiplier?

Many thanks!

FireRadio
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

I use only Multiplier batteries, they also have the 2700 MaH saber batterym Model M4595-H and it runs forever. I know that Multiplier batteries are made in NY and Motorola are made in Malaysia not the US so I support a company that is US made, and they are getting real big in the federal government, I know many agencies that are switching to Mulitplier because they work better than Morotola now and they fit perfect. Now maybe I should get a job with Multiplier or maybe they will pay me for this plug LOL

Stan
MarkHam2B

Post by MarkHam2B »

I think it might be a hit or miss affair with the $29.00 e-bay special battery. I ordered a bunch of them for a few HT-600's. Some fit very loose, some fit just right and others are tighter than a (fill in the blank) on prom night.

I agree with the group though, Multi's certainly are a great alternative to Moto's own.

Thanks,
Mark

-Remember The Twin Towers 9-11-01
Will

Post by Will »

USSPS is correct,

I wonder what is the accual maker of that battery on e-bay. There is a company in Florida, Kendo, that imports an inexpensive battery pack with poorly made plastic and contacts. The cells are fairly good tho.
Me I stick with the Motorola, with my relation with them, I just send it back under the new warranty procedure for shops if I have a problem. Usally the customer overcharges or runs them down beyond recovery and Motorola replaces them unless I determine the customer abused the battery.
The warranty on M is 14 months for me.
Multiplier is a good choice too. I have had good results with them.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

The $30 eBay batteries are, in fact, Kendoo.

As you observed, they are good electrically, but bad plastic.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Apparently 'M''s batteries ain't what they used to be. In MRT Alexander is advertizing
that they're better than OEM and say they use Sanyo cells.
Julian

Post by Julian »

I too have had great luck with Multiplier Saber batteries, Fits on the unit perfect! I use them over Motorola, saved myself some $$
Julian
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I...-

"Yesstirdaye I cuddn't spell teknishion, and now I is won!"

"800MHZ sucks range is a joke
UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
Will

Post by Will »

Alexander is in the same boat as Kendo, poor construction. Alex, Battery Network, and others do NOT use good methods to keep the cells from moving and shorting out, and burning thru the housing. Something else to watch out for.
The Motorolas use a very good cell, depends on the paticular battery model, they use Sanyo cells too.
Astro_Saber
Fail 01/90

Post by Astro_Saber »

I have seen them offer these batteries for the last 2 years.

makes me wonder on them, i would rather spend the money on a new motorola or even a used one.

i saw 30 batteries for for under 80 bucks I believe this week

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”