HT750 Drop Test

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ROSDJS

HT750 Drop Test

Post by ROSDJS »

Hey all, sorry I havn't been around. I'm out on tour and just got my new laptop. I accidentally "drop tested" my brand new HT750 provided to me from the company. The radio was enclosed in a coushy Motrola pouch (HLN9701B). It fell from a height of about ~37'. My speaker mic with the screwed on connector did pop out on top and the channel selector knob flew off. The radio's impact was on 4 inches of solid ice. After removing the connector and reattaching it and placing the knob back on the radio is still in perfect working condition without any cosmetic blemishes watsoever. I'm not particularly fond of the radio, but it gets the job done. I'd my rather have one of my Gp350's for this application, but the HT750 by no means has not stood up to the expectations of the job.

Matt
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

Hey Matt,

You should call Mother /\/\ and let her know what happened there. It has to be some kind of record and they may want the damn thing for the Schaumberg museum!
Last edited by Station House Products on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROSDJS

Post by ROSDJS »

I'm preitty sure that the pouch had EVERYTHING to do with it. If that radio fell out of the pouch and hit the ice it would have been in several pieces, no doubt. I'm just happy that it still works and I didn't have to pay the company to have it replaced.

Matt
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

37 feet? that's a record in my books for the HT750..
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Dave

Post by Dave »

What concert are you rigging?
KC8UWK

WOW

Post by KC8UWK »

Wow I have a HT 1250 (same thing more buttons and Channels) and it didnt fair well in a 5 ft drop test. (It fell on the antenna and broke the sodder joint.)

Heath
KC8UWK

You might be a redneck firefighter if:
... two or more of your trucks have been pulled over for drag racing to a scene
gp900

Post by gp900 »

Check this out: Image
ROSDJS

Post by ROSDJS »

I was repairing a broken light in a bucket lift and the snap buttons on the pouch let go ( probably b/c of the tight angle I was at)....bottom of our grid trims out at 37'...

Matt
John G

Post by John G »

I have seen a Saber loose the synthesizer module just falling over on the floor. No height at all. I have also seen a Saber survive a 25 foot drop onto concrete with only a couple of scratches. Seems someone told of seeing a HT220 in the Motorola museum a while back that had fallen overboard on a deep sea fishing boat. After several weeks in deep water, it was caught in a net and hauled up. After being returned to Motorola, all it needed was a wash to work perfectly. Go figure.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

HT220.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

There are HT220s still in use at a trailer repair shop.
The place caught fire in the mid 80s, and I do mean burn.
Some of the radios needed plastic parts replaced, all the batteries were replaced.
And the things still work.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

I dropped a HT750 off a counter at work last night... That's about 3 feet.

Anyways, the antenna and the channel knob broke off.
K8TEK::Tim
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

John G wrote:After several weeks in deep water, it was caught in a net and hauled up. After being returned to Motorola, all it needed was a wash to work perfectly. Go figure.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fresh water ... if it was salt water, that would be a different story. You can wash pretty much any electronics (that I know of) in distilled water. Just make sure everything is dry (as in let it sit open for a few weeks) before putting any power through it.
Jay911

Post by Jay911 »

Nothing I've done to our HT750s has killed them (unfortunately, IMO :) )...

I once dropped an HT1000 down three carpeted stairs and it broke the battery clips off the almost-brand-new battery. On the other hand, I once had an MT1000 I left on the tailgate of my car, drove away forgetting about it... someone else found it on the road and phoned me (name and number dymo-taped to it)... there was no sign at all that it had undergone any trauma.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”