Radio manufacture date question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

OK, hopefully somebody can answer this stupid question for me...

The main site has this table for deciphering manufactured date code from the serial number - http://www.batlabs.com/mfgtabl.html - and it seems accurate as far as I see.

My question is what the first letter in the sequence means.

There's an SRN floating around (unfortunately I don't have the link at home) which discusses display problems in certain Jedi radios made after Jan 1999.
It specifically states that the repairs are appropriate for date codes AZA and above.
I have a bunch of MTX radios, with nearly sequential serial numbers, that display the same problem. Their S/N's are all 511TZGxxxx.

So, what is the difference between a TZG date code and an AZG?
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

This piece of information is over 10 years old, but I don't see why it's not true. Some research might prove me right, or wrong.

The first character of the 3 - letter string in the s/n was the place of manufacture; The only one I remember from that time was "F" for the Fort Lauderdale plant.

Chuk G.
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

That's interesting, and it makes sense. I'll have to see if I can test the theory based on the radios I have on hand.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Believe the SRN you're referring to is for radio microphonics. Didn't apply to VHF radios, applied to UHF, don't think 800 was involved. When
I do finally get home (still no power after Hurricane Frances) I do have that SRN if nobody has come up with it by then.
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

The SRN in question applied to all Jedi radios, and dealt with a problem with lost pixels in the display.

I'll have it tomorrow. Maybe today, if I stop by the office.
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Lets see if this works.....here's the text from the SRN:

SRN 1394-A

APC 402, 432, 466, 511

January 2003 Up Issued (Oct. 2003)
Deadline: January 5, 2005
From: MTS2000, MT2000, HT1000 and MTX8000/9000 Subscriber Product Group
Subject: MTS2000, MT2000, HT1000 and MTX8000/9000– Display Rows/Columns Missing

Symptoms:
Radios exhibit missing pixel rows or columns of an alphanumeric message or other normal displays.

Potential Problem Radios/Kits:
MTS2000, MT2000 and HT1000, MTX8000/9000 built from January 1999 and newer.
Identified by serial numbers xxxAZAxxxx and later.

NOTE: Any radios not exhibiting missing pixel rows or columns, or those that are cracked or have been abused, are not covered by this SRN.

Identification of Issue:
In order to verify a failure due to this manufacturing issue:
1. Radio serial number date code would fall xxxAZAxxxx and later.
2. There should not be any cracks or signs of abuse on the front cover.
3. A good display should look like sample in Picture 1, and a defective display should look like sample in Picture 2.

Picture 1. Example of a GOOD display

Picture 2. Example of a BAD display that has missing pixel rows or columns

Cause: Assembly process issue.

Corrective Action: Repair or replace LCD display. Due to the unique bonding equipment necessary this can be handled only at depot level.

I can send an email with the Word Document I actually got to anyone who needs it - simply drop me a pm.

John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”