Liquid Flux and Very small diameter solder recommendations

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dirtrat

Liquid Flux and Very small diameter solder recommendations

Post by dirtrat »

I need some suggestions for sources for some no-clean, non-corrosive, organic, liquid flux and some rosin core solder smaller than .020. I don't know if they make solder that small but the smaller the better since its used for some very fine surface mount soldering. The liquid flux will be used for simple board reflow with heat gun. I'm having a hard time finding this stuff in small quantities.
xmo

Post by xmo »

I suggest you try Techni-Tool http://www.techni-tool.com

They show Kester 44 rosin core 60/40 wire solder available in .015 dia. Interesting that it lists for $17.15/lb. whereas the more usual .031 dia. lists for only $8.41/lb. The smaller diameter must be harder to manufacture.

They also seem to have many types of flux listed. Even if you don't see what you are looking for on their web page - give them a call. I have found them to be very helpful in past transactions.

Of course - if you buy from them - they will probably send you their catalog. Very dangerous to look at - too many temptations.
dirtrat

Post by dirtrat »

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I actually found some .010 rosin core solder but it's $80 for 1 pound. I think it will be worth the money though. I don't see the Liquid Flux I want but will call them tomorrow.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

SMD

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

For SMD work, you will need a soldering needle.
This is a hypo needle and dispensing device in one.
You get one surplus, or be prepaired to pay, dearly.
The things can cost over $6000 complete, but you can do wonders with it.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I use 2 hypodermic needles one with flux and one with solder paste and a
pretty cheap hot air gun to do most SMD work at home. Works out pretty well.

Chris
N9LLO
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Don't use 60/40, use 63/37

Post by Wowbagger »

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE 60/40 solder! Use 63/37.

60/40 solder has three phases (in the temperature ranges we care about) - solid, liquid, and in-between. If the solder is disturbed in the in-between state, it will form a mass of small crystals that is NOT mechanically sound (a "cold joint").

63/37 solder (also known as "eutectic") does not have the in-between state - it is either a liquid or a solid, and as such is MUCH less prone to cold joints. It also goes fully liquid at a lower temperature than 60/40 solder.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”