Unhappy saber owner

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bradlington
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Unhappy saber owner

Post by bradlington »

Hi All
After so long I am still battling with my saber2 / mx2000 radio and the error02 message.
Several comments of try this and that but no-one can offer any remedy.Please if anyone has reflashed this radio back from this error code please could you be kind enough to assist me.Imported the radio and now sit with a brick.
Need prog software used , aswell as the type of computer setup and spec.
Thanks in advance.
Brad node 8300
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I have one PC that will read Sabers fine but will always brick it when I write to the radio. Try build up a new codeplug from scratch and try another pc to program it in. Something like an old 486 with internal cache disabled.

Chris
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

Thanks for the reply-exactly what happenned to me-read ok but when I changed a frequency it programmed ok into a brick.

I have tried from scratch but no difference.
Regards

Brad
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

Sabers are picky. It's kinda hard to completely kill one though so, all is not lost. Get your programming platform in order and you'll get rid of the error code.

If all else fails and you can't find a stable programming platform, you can always send the radio to me or someone else who has a good stable programming platform and we can un-brick the radio for you. Might be kinda expensive from S.A. though.

John
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

Hi
I have resd that the lengh of the cable from the rib (original rib being used) can cause problems with some motorola models -my cable is about 1 meter-perhaps I will shorten it.

Regards
Brad
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

Like the others have said, the problem probably is with the computer you are using to write the radi with. Have you access to another, perhap slower machine?
One meter doesn't seem particularly long for a rib-to-radio cable.
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

Hi

Using the msd command in dos I have the following setup:

Amaerican Megatrend 80386
Memeory 640k , 3072 ext
1984k XMS

MS-DOS ver 5.00

Bios Ver V3.128
Processor 80386
Bus type ISA/AT/Classic Bus
DMA Controller :YES
Cascaded IRQ2 :YES

Not sure what else is needed to confirm my setup should be able to program the saber / mx2000.

Any comments?
Brad
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

I have been using the mx1000 ver.2.00 field service software for the mx2000 which as far as I am aware should work.

regards
brad
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

Hi All

Thanks for the continued support-I have finally after 18 months come right-found that I had used the Astro saber programming pins which take pin 3 from radio to pin 6 of rib instead of pin 8 of the rib.Have programmed and read radio several times.
Still need to hex edit software to allow 430-440 operation.
Thanks again to all.
Brad

Kind regards
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

Glad it worked out. That would have been a hard problem to diagnose here on the forums.

Good luck getting down to 430! You'll need it!
bradlington

Post by bradlington »

Hi All
I agree that a simple mistake has cost me 18 months of frustration.
I imported the radio and these are not used in this country so I was alone on this one and not even Motorola local could advise or help.
I still need to get the correct pins of the battery layout to make a charger for it .
My next project are the 3 jedi series radios that are to be returned from "brick"status.
Thanks again to all for the mental assurence.
Bradley Glen
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Saber 2 ERR 0 81 (was: Re: Unhappy saber owner)

Post by oh2glg »

Hello all on the board,

Writing for the first time here I must say that the amount of information on this board is REALLY overwhelming!

I've been reading this and few other threads with similar topics, since I have quite the same case on my hand.. Well, only thing different this time is that I got this saber just few weeks ago and tried to program new freqs to it today.

In my case, I have UHF Saber II-R, 120ch 403-433MHz.

The codeplug was read by Saber RSS R07.01.00 nicely with no problems. I saved it on the disk just in case.

After I modified the original codeplug (changed frequencies etc) and tried to send it back to Saber, it went sour.

Now it says "ERR 0 81" on the display, battery indicator is blinking and that's about all it does.

Now when I try to re-read codeplug from the radio, RSS warns few times during transfer that there's parity errors on CORE- and COPE-processors memory.

I also tried to create new RPF from scratch, but it didn't manage to correct it. Nothing changed.

Only thing I didn't check yet, if the cable is for Saber instead of Astro Saber, since it's loaned it from a friend. And after reading the two last posts on this thread I'm quite convinced that the cable is worth checking for correct connection.

Oh, by the way: Since this unit is for bandsplit 403-433, it is not unexpected that the RSS will complain if any of the frequencies are above 434.000 MHz. Is there any other way to work around it than modifying the channel data file directly with an editor?

Jussi OH2GLG
Last edited by oh2glg on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Well, you did the first step correctly...you saved a copy of the codeplug! What are the specs for your computer? I've come to find the Sabers are one radio which can read fine on most set-ups, but can corrupt when written to on the same set-up. It's very possible you'll have to 'step down' to an older system in order to successfully program the known good codeplug back into the radio.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Re: Saber 2 ERR 0 81

Post by oh2glg »

wavetar wrote:What are the specs for your computer? I've come to find the Sabers are one radio which can read fine on most set-ups, but can corrupt when written to on the same set-up. It's very possible you'll have to 'step down' to an older system in order to successfully program the known good codeplug back into the radio.

Todd
Well, it is an older model Compaq laptop, but I really can not recall its model on processor speed right now, since it's at my workplace.

However, it is a 486-based slow thing, using MS-DOS 6.22 as an operating system. It has been used as a programming computer for other models as well (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, TP-Radio and other Motorolas like GP300)

I'm afraid that it's still too fast for Saber flashing anyway.

Well, I'll look into it on Monday. Unless I'm not able to get this computer slower, it might be useless for this. Only problem is, that it's really the slowest PC I have in my hands an the moment ;)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”