COM-Spec TP-3200 in a GR1225 ??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dragon400

Post by Dragon400 »

I have a TP-3200 just laying around. Can I stick that in the 1225 Repeater? If so does anyone have the wiring hook ups for it or anything that might help me?
Thanks .... Tony
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

That should be no problem. The R1225 repeater just has to be programmed as a repeater with External Controller.

Then check the 16 pin connector screen to find which pin the COS is programmed to (book says default pin is Pin 4) and set RX out (Pin 11) for Flat RX Audio so the TP-3200 can detect the incoming PL or DPL codes.

Tx audio is Pin 2
Tx PTT is Pin 3
Flat Tx Audio (for Tx PL encode)is pin 5
Gound is Pin 7
Rx Audio Pin 11 (set it for FLAT Audio)

I have a spare manual if you are interested.

Bruce
Dragon400

Post by Dragon400 »

Great this helps a lot. Thanks Bruce. This is what I have:

TP-3200 Motorola Pin #

DC Power Input- B+ - Power Supply
TX PTT Output- Pin 3
Receiver Discrim- Pin 11 (RSS for flat)
COS Input- Pin 4 (RSS for right pin location)
TX Repeat Audio Output-Pin 2
Ground B- - Power Supply
Ground (shields) Pin 7
CTCSS Output Pin 5

The TP-3200 also has jumpers on the board which I don't know where to put them.

JP1- Repeat Audio Processing - default in
It says the audio signal from the repeater receiver discriminator is normally pre-emphasized. JP1 will de-emphasize the discriminator signal resulting in a flat audio response. Remove JP1 to increase the high freq response or if it sounds bassy.

JP2 - TX Audio Gain - default in
If the transmitter is high impedance then remove JP2. For low impedance transmitter, JP2 should be installed.

JP3 - CTCSS/DCS Output Responce - default in
If the repeater tramsmitter uses a phase modulator, then JP3 should be installed. If it uses a direct FM modulator, then remove.

JP4/JP5 - PTT Output Polarity default 4 out/5 in
If a gound is required to TX, install JP5 and remove JP4. If +V is required for PTT, then remove JP5 and install JP4.

I have:
JP1- in
JP2- out
JP3- out
JP4/5 - NO CLUE

Does this look good? I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks again for all the help.
Tony
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

Hi
I have never used the TP-3200, but it seems simple enough.

JP1- needs to be IN to de-emphasize the Rx audio.
JP2- IN as the R1225 is low impedance
JP3- I believe this puts the CTCSS tone to the transmitter out on a separate wire from the Mic audio, so this needs to be IN to put the CTCSS tone onto the PIN 5 wire of the 16 pin connector.
JP4- OUT JP5- IN This will give you PTT to ground

The only part that is hard to set, without proper equipment, will be the repeat deviation. You want the TX CTCSS level to be 600-700 HZ and the repeat voice deviation to match the Rx. In other words, if you send a signal to the repeater with 3Khz of deviation, it should come out of the repeater transmitter with 3Khz of deivation.

Good luck.
Bruce
April

Post by April »

That is fairly correct. Some of the instalations we had to add a series resistor
in the PL tone line going into the R1225 pin 5 to reduce the noise on that input. Double check the mic audio going to pin two on the R1225, it needs to have a coupling capacitor with the plus side to the radio, some TP3200's did not have one.

COR is on pin 8
PTT to pin 3 on the radio,
Ground the TP3200 to pin 7 and you can get the A+ from pin 13

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: April on 2002-04-11 18:29 ]</font>
Will

Post by Will »

We also have a couple of R1225 radios, chassis only, with Zetron M38's on them. I also had noise problems and used isolating resistors at the radio 16 pin connector. These R1225' do not have any "dash boards" on them, and are mounted on 19" rack pannels, heatsink up for max cooling. (the GR1225/GR500 cabinet costs too much).
Be VERY carefull not to ground or load down any pins on the 16 pin connector.

Then there is the R1225 (chassis only)in a 50 cal. ammo can along with a gell cell, duplexer, and fan. It has two "D" rings to chain it to a light pole, or?
Sattech
New User

Re:

Post by Sattech »

perthcom wrote:That should be no problem. The R1225 repeater just has to be programmed as a repeater with External Controller.

Then check the 16 pin connector screen to find which pin the COS is programmed to (book says default pin is Pin 4) and set RX out (Pin 11) for Flat RX Audio so the TP-3200 can detect the incoming PL or DPL codes.

Tx audio is Pin 2
Tx PTT is Pin 3
Flat Tx Audio (for Tx PL encode)is pin 5
Gound is Pin 7
Rx Audio Pin 11 (set it for FLAT Audio)

I have a spare manual if you are interested.

Bruce

I have a problem with my spare repeater that's using 2 GM300's with encode noise. I have it wired as shown above but looks like I'm going to need to use a resistor in series with the CTCSS output from the 3200. As a time saver anyone remember approximately what resistance they used on this type of setup? Trying to get this thing up and going till I can go through the lightning ravaged main unit.

Thanks!
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Re: COM-Spec TP-3200 in a GR1225 ??

Post by KB2ZTX »

I have 4 of these controllers on 4 GR1225 Rack mount repeaters. Had alot of trouble with noise and static at the site i am at. Solution was to wire both TX and RX audio out of the 16 pin connector with shielded wire. Shield went to ground. Solved 99% of the issues for me. Strange part was these repeaters came from another site with no issues.
KB2ZTX
Sattech
New User

Post by Sattech »

I had to add a 10 uf cap in the TX audio line and like you use shielded cable. That quieted the TX audio quite a bit.
Got a problem with Talk Off with the CTCSS tone currently..looks like I'm going to need a different injection point other then the ACC connectors Flat Audio input.
d119

Post by d119 »

Or a different tone.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”