MOTOROLA MDT MW520 PROGRAMING INFO NEEDED

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mp501mp

MOTOROLA MDT MW520 PROGRAMING INFO NEEDED

Post by mp501mp »

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM THE BUTTONS ON THE TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR?
I HAVE THE FACTORY RESTORE DISK AND HAVE ALSO VISITED THE ELO ACCU SCREEN SITE BUT THAT DID NOT HELP.

IF YOU HAVE A RESTORE DISK THEN I SHOULD LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT NORTON GHOST 2003 WILL DECODE THE IMAGE FILE BUT 9.0 WILL NOT.

ANY HELP TO GET IT RUNNING WOULD BE NICE.

I HAVE HOWEVER RESTORED THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND INSTALLED A 40 GIG HARD DRIVE. IT WORKS FINE WITH WINDOWS 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE,ME, NT, 2001 PRO, XP WILL RUN BUT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE RAM IF YOU DON'T HAVE 64 MEGS ON YOU MACHINE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME .
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP.

P.S. SORRY I ALWAYS USE CAPs WHEN I TYPE, IT's A HABIT
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Button reprogramming.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The orange buttons, like the red emergency button, are set up as an application.
The things do not follow microsoft standards.
With this said, what dispatch application are you running?
Note: the dispatch application, and RSS, are used to address and configure both the buttons and the built-in radio.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Now that my eyes have recovered from someone entering the room
screaming at the top of their lungs, .... Welcome to the board.

(that's what typing in all caps is considered to be) :D Phrawg

ok I just saw the all caps comment, Apologys here also.
It is harder to read tho than a caps where needed text line is.
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
mp501mp

mw520

Post by mp501mp »

ok i see. at this time the mdt's do not have any software other than windows. our volunteer fire department dosent have access to the county's
tx messenger system yet.
well what i am asking i guess is i need help if anyone can offer it, i.e.
these do not have the usb port like the manual says.
they wont read the pcmia usb card even with the driver installed.
i need a few hints on how to get these things up and running.
they work and all but it's the little thing that matter.
if someone can email me directly i can give the part numbers that i have and maybe we can figure out what is needed.

thanks everyone for any and all help.
jim
BTVFD
ekoperda

Post by ekoperda »

In order to make any of the six regular buttons or the red emergency button "do stuff" you need to have Motorola's 'hwdriver' installed and running. This receives serial control data from the display panel and turns it into Windows events.

According to the "MW-520 Developer Hardware Kit" document, "The six user-defined buttons located on the display unit use scan codes 64h through 69h, from left to right. These scan codes are not used by any other keys on the keyboard." So these keypress events get delivered to whatever window has the focus at the time.

The emergency button is a little different. There's a DLL called 'hwapp' the hooks into the 'hwdriver'. Your program needs to invoke a function named Register_Emg in the DLL to sign up for notifications. Your app can get similar notifications for power-change events and other assorted things.

I have a PDF of the document that it sounds like you might need. It's about 1 MB. I downloaded it from http://mw520.motorola.com/ back when that site was up. Mail me if you want it.
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

You've gotta have the right software. mw520.motorola.com seems to be gone- thats where I got all my drivers from. Do a search for mw520 and you should find some posts with useful info.

I'll see if I cant dig up one of my mw520's and copy you the drivers.

-Justin
mp501mp

mw520

Post by mp501mp »

i have searched the net like many have said but not much to be found out there is not much in the way of driver software there on these darn things.
so i'll wait and see what you all think or can help with anf go from there.
i have many of the rss's for the spectras and such but not sure how to configue the system to read the data modem.

thank you all very much for any and all your help with this.
jim
btvfd

one other note we use a spectra railroad radio as a dispatch unit it works great. it has been reprogramed to our freq's but plans are to sell it soon.
i can reprogram it to what ever freq. you need in the vhf high band if anyone is interested in the possible sell or trade of this item.

it is being replaced with a apco25 compliant spectra soon.
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

Yeah, there's not much to be found out there. There was a site that was up for a while that was a clearinghouse of all thing Motorola Data. One of the members here ran it- 2wayguru, if I remember right. The site is long gone now, though.

You're lucky you got the Motorola machines. The Data911 workstations are virtually impossible to find any information about.

Got your PM....found my 520. Now I just have to see if it survived the move!

-Justin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I may have a CD with the driver's on it that I downloaded from the site when I had one. PM me.

Jason
giantcake

Post by giantcake »

This may or may not be helpful to you.

There is a PDF doc in the zip file that's helpful if your using TXMessenger.

Other than that some useful stuff.

http://www.motorola.com/LMPS/RNSG/pubsafety/docs/ TxMessenger_3_5_Upgrade.zip

Good Luck, I wish I had dl'd drivers from the mw520 web page wen I had the chance.

-Steve
mp501mp

mw520

Post by mp501mp »

question for all;

i got a disk with a program called wave soft- link 100 anyone know about this software also a program called mcs.exe .
any hints

thanks
jim
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

MDTs

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The entire MDT site is now something that is no longer open to the public.
I find this to be more and more the policy of circle M.
Odd, as the MDT site included Linux as an OS option for the 520.
mesohunter

Post by mesohunter »

OH HELP.. Does anyone have the driver and or driver information for the color touchscreen for the mw520 MDC.. I am tring to get this setup fo rmy SAR unit and the drivers form ELO are causeing problems.. Dont think they are the correct units.

Any help woudl be great

Grizz
grizz701@fuse.net
barlowguy

Post by barlowguy »

Hi Guys I am new to the board and have the MW520 drivers, but don't know how to attach them to the board or if that is even possible if it is email me with the directions and I will try.

krgenchi@hotmail.com
ve6sdb

Post by ve6sdb »

Hey Guys, I am new to the mw520 and I was trying to find drivers for the screen,or any drivers for the 520. Can anyone help me with getting the drivers? I cannot find them on the internet anywhere.
I drive semi and was going to set up a mobile computer system for ham radio and mappimg. Has anyone done wifi off the 520?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”