HT1000 Scan problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kato56

HT1000 Scan problem

Post by kato56 »

I have a HT1000 "B" vhf version that has a strange scanning problem...

I have a scan list setup for non-priority carrier and pl receive channels and when I initiate scan, the radio won't stop on a active channel.
But if I key a radio in close proximity, the radio while in scan will stop, so it seems like it's some sort of sensivity problem although the radio appears to hear signals fine, just not while scanning.

I checked the squelch settings which appear to be OK
Other than that, the radio appears to tx and rx fine in normal use other than scanning.

Sorry, I can't give any accurate receiver sensitivity measurements since I don't have a service monitor.

Thanks
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

kato,

I don't know if it is normal operation or not, but I have noticed that HT1000s seem to lose some sensitivity when scanning. I have seen this, time and time again, on our service monitor here. I'm no HT 1000 guru, but I think it is normal to lose a small amount of sensitivity when scanning. Perhaps one of the more experienced Moto techs can either confirm or deny my findings.
kato56

re: HT1000 Scan problem

Post by kato56 »

Thanks for replying.... You could have a point.....Also, I might need to get it aligned.

Regards
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

The "desense" effect is something prevalent among all the Moto equipment sorta beginning with the timeframe of the Jedi generations. No matter what you set the Unmuting/Muting to in the per channel setup, the radio reverts to AND/OR or AND/STD unmuting/muting when placed in scan mode. This is designed into the radio and can't be defeated. It supposedly reduces falsing and intermod susceptibility and adjacent channel interference, but it sure seems to screw with the sensitivity, more so on some models than others. A way to reduce the effect is to select non-priority scan in the scan setup, but that ain't satisfactory if you want/need priority scan functions.

All this is a clue that MotherMoto feels that scanning is best left to areas of signal saturation.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”