Transpeater II

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

963Expert

Transpeater II

Post by 963Expert »

First of all let me explain what I'm trying to do.......

Our agency uses Type 2 800 M Trunking. Many of the agencies we deal with that surround us use Motorola Trunked radios as well. Just about everyone carries either MTX, MTS or XTS radios.

No one has a common talkgroup, nobody wants to share a talkgroup or give up ID numbers.

On a regular basis we conduct special operations with operators from surrounding agencies where we need to have radio contact. Be it simplex to a trunked system, or trunked to trunked or simplex to simplex.

A few months ago I came across this little box called a "Transpeater II" made by Transcrypt International. It appears as though they haven't carried this particular model in several years. This one I have appears brand new and looks like it's never been used. I tried searching the internet for information on this to no avail, other than this:

http://www.batlabs.com/mx300s.html#transpeater

This basically talks about using 2 MX300's to make a repeater. Which is NOT what I'd like to do. The TransPeater has a switch on it that says "Repeat" or "Relay". The diagram on the box, makes me believe that it will either repeat one way or cross patch. This IS what I want to do, only using two MTX's, MTS's or XTS's.

The plan is to borrow a radio from the other agency we are working with, then cross patch it with one of our radios.

I have researched this as much as I can, the bulk of the information I got right here on Batlabs. Now I'm down to the point where I'm about ready to start soldering up connections.

Take a look at this diagram:
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/174/radi ... Peater.jpg
(Sorry, you can't link to this, you'll have to copy this address and paste it into your browser)

I have all the connectors I need, that are listed in the diagram above. I'm started to sit down and draw this out to show myself how to hook it up and then realized I might need some matching devices or some level adjusting devices.

I'm sure I could fiddle around with this for a few hours or days and eventually stumble upon the correct way to do this, but I thought I'd draw upon the resources here and maybes someone else has already done this.

So, I'm looking for some experianced help, if someone can help me fill in the gaps in my drawing and let me know the best way to set this up. Anyone have experiance at this, or have some suggestions? I'd certainly appreciate it! (Then if this works out, I'd like to figure out a way to hook it to my Spectra in my car).

Thanks,

963Expert
963Expert

Post by 963Expert »

It's hard for me to believe with all the talent here that 70+ people have looked at this and no one has any words of wisdom for me on this?
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

You may want to look into JPS Communications (part of Raytheon).
http://www.jps.com/

JPS made several different devices, for just what you’re asking about. Since their idea is based on an open architecture design, you may be able to get the technical data from them, for your 'Transpeater' project.

I would think interfacing the 'transpeater' to mobiles, with some flavor of an accessory port on each radio, would be your best bet, rather than messing with portables, since most of the connections need are not brought out to an external connector on them.

Otherwise you might be able to build some sort of rudimentary repeater interface, with ideas procured from other designs. However finding something reliable & turn-key on the market, for a reasonable price is unlikely.

Good Luck,

- trg, 8)
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

so much for interoperability!
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
kens

Post by kens »

I once worked on a Transpeater which used 2 BK portables. They had been unused for a long time as everyone said they would not work. I found the din connectors had the mic hi lines imporperly connected and when properly placed then they worked well. I believe the company was in Omaha and eventually bought by Johnson.
963Expert

Post by 963Expert »

I'm all to familar with JPS equipment. Unfortunately, that costs money. My intent here was to solve a problem with very little money.

When we need these 'cross patches' done, we need it done in the field, in a hurry. Most of the time we operate on talkgroups that our Dispatch centers can't access, so we can't rely upon them to do a patch for us.

I have had this transpeater sitting on the shelf above my bench for some time now and was looking for a way to make it useful without going out and spending a great deal of money on it.

From what I read about it being used for a repeater using old MX radios on Batlabs, I figured it was an easy transition over to XTS, MTS and MTX style radios.

I think I have it figured out on paper, I just need to sit down with my soldering iron for awhile and patch it out. I was hoping to come across someone here who had enough experiance with both that could come up with simple solutions off the top of their head.

963Expert
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

963Expert wrote:It's hard for me to believe with all the talent here that 70+ people have looked at this and no one has any words of wisdom for me on this?
I think the problem might be that you used the word operators. :lol:
Only CT can help you now.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”