motorola rss restricted license

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

motorola rss restricted license

Post by jmr3865 »

Ok, motorola denied my request for rss restricted license. What can I do? Now I am pissed! Kenwood, here I come!
JMR
KC2QVO
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

gee wiz, and yet they wonder why they have a piracy problem.

go figure.

another smart move my (/\/\)
wb4bsd
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000v, MTS2000v, MTS2000u

Post by wb4bsd »

Restricted license? explain what that is.

I filled out the info on MOL and was approved. I can order anything i want as far as RSS/CPS goes.
Rusty
(I no longer have nextel. I now have an iPhone)
Splat

Post by Splat »

You pro'lly can't get the HT/Pro/CDM (Waris) series CPS though. That requires a seperate agreement which you must apply for. From what I hear you've got a better chance of getting approved if you have more than a few of this series radios. They ask you to give them some serial #'s of the radios you own (HT/Pro/CDM). The more you give them, the better your chances. I've also heard of people going on Ebay, getting serial #'s from any pics they can find, and then giving them to Motorola, only to get their contract rescinded down the road.
mastr

Post by mastr »

Not much you can do except what you already mentioned--quit buying radios from makers who fail to offer software on reasonable terms. If Motorola made cars, you would need a "subscription" to make the steering wheel useable. Too bad there isn't a viable competitor to "M" any longer. RIP, General Electric...
firebuff17

Post by firebuff17 »

wb4bsd, can you provide a link for where you filled out the application for the liscense, I am trying to do it over the phone and mail, but its a pian inthe neck. I am never near the info I need when they call. Would be alot easier online.

Thanks
d119

Post by d119 »

mastr wrote: Too bad there isn't a viable competitor to "M" any longer. RIP, General Electric...
I dunno, but I've been playing with Kenwood's 80 & 90 series handhelds lately, and I'm pretty impressed...
Splat

Post by Splat »

We've had the TK-3180 and TK-2180 radios for months now with zero problems yet. We field tested both the Kennies and the HT1250 and chose the Kenwoods. The programming items were also alot cheaper. I used to be a Motorola-only guy so that's all we used. Until now. Motorola lost us and I can't see any reason why we'd go back.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

That's the problem with Motorola, they treat their customers like potential terrorists.

I think that if they were a little easier to deal with for programming software, and a bit more reasonable on the prices of such, you wouldn't see all the websites with pirated RSS and CPS.

It's a fact of life, expensive hard to get software is the first to get pirated because there is a lot of people that want it!

Now take a look at Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex, you can just download what you need from their website, do you see a ton of websites with their software? There is a few that have their's along with Moto stuff, but for the most part its not a big business in trading their software because it is freely available.

Then Motorola whines and cries about their software being stolen and posted on these out of country websites. Well, maybe some day they will get a clue and realize you don't make money off the software, you make money off the radios and provide the software as a courtesy to the customer.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

mastr wrote:Not much you can do except what you already mentioned--quit buying radios from makers who fail to offer software on reasonable terms. If Motorola made cars, you would need a "subscription" to make the steering wheel useable. Too bad there isn't a viable competitor to "M" any longer. RIP, General Electric...
I beg to differ on the last statement. WSP has been using Kenwood TK290's and 790's for years with excellent results, and I see far fewer of them come through the shop for repair than I do the Motorola boxen.

As for GE, they're hardly RIP. They've been remade in the form of M-A/Com, now owned by Tyco Electronics. The current generation of P7100 portables are certainly made well, physically speaking, and they seem to do well enough in the field, though I will grant that it'll be a year or so before we know for certain how good they really are.

The current successor to the Orions (the M7100 series mobiles) are built amazingly well. My primary gripe with them is that they lack a fixed-level audio output prior to the volume control. They also lack a 'detector' output. This, to my eyes, is a serious mistake considering how much third-party gear (such as external security hardware) depends on such.

The GE programming arrangement is far better than Motorola's as well. One initial payment of about $150 gets you the RIB and software, and you just order radio cables as you need them. The software will read and program just about any of the GE radios that are programmable, with the exception of some of the earliest EPROM-based units, all in one package.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
mastr

Post by mastr »

kc7gr wrote;
I beg to differ on the last statement. WSP has been using Kenwood TK290's and 790's for years with excellent results
I see your point, and am quite sure that the Kenwood's are doing a good job for WSP. Unfortunately, they are not suited to my own agency's application. Kenwood has a good product line for smaller systems but is not yet ready to play in the large system market.

As for what is left of GE in the form of Tyco/MAcom, they have some good products out, but fall far short of what GE once was. GE would bend over backwards to build an "SP" radio in sometimes ridiculously small quantity, and didn't feel the need to continually push off the shelf, but marginally workable solutions. You could call them up and say you needed a 500w continuous duty UHF station and get a price on the unit as specified, not a list of reasons that their "stock" 225w one would work.

Tyco isn't seriously interested in selling anything that isn't 800mhz/IP based, at least in my experience. For that reason alone, I don't consider them a viable competitor.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

what models does RSS support
Last edited by jmr3865 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMR
KC2QVO
n2knc

Post by n2knc »

I would sugest ,your having problems using it take your radio to a motorola shop and have them program it for you,or ask on the board here,some times all it would cost is shipping both ways,but be shure you check there feedback just dont send it to any one

Dave
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

WHAT DOES RSS PROGRAM?
JMR
KC2QVO
akardam

Post by akardam »

jmr3865 wrote:WHAT DOES RSS PROGRAM?
Ok. Dude. Calm down.

RSS is Radio Service Software. It is a somewhat generic term that refers to the type of software necessary to program radios. In this case, it's a term that Motorola uses (although you will see others use this term in its generic form).

There are many different types of RSS. Some variants are for a series of radios, others for a specific radio. Ususally, one would purchase just the RSS packages they need for their specific radio(s). However, as has been stated, some RSS is restricted to large commercial and city/county/state radio shops. Since you're seemingly having problems obtaining a license from Motorola for your particular radio(s), I will echo others' statements and say you're probably better off going to a Motorola Service shop in your area, or contacting a reputable board member who can accommodate your needs.

Good luck.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

fwiw ... you don't know what RSS stands for, yet you were applying for a restricted license?

are you a bricklayer?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”