Spectra T83GXA7HA9AK Codeplug needed

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

streaker

Spectra T83GXA7HA9AK Codeplug needed

Post by streaker »

I can't believe this codeplug isn't easy to find with as many HHCH Spectras are floating around. Looking for a good T83GXA7HA9AK codeplug for a A9 Spectra. The only ones I can find will not allow me to use the Mode names, and I need one that will allow the use of mode names. email address is: eastroik(at)direcway.com

Thanks
Will

Post by Will »

What happens when you read the radio? There is a VHF Hi Pwr one just like yours in my shop. If the owner agrees, you could have a sample from his.

If your Spectra was 'hacked' to a HHCH, then a 'code plug' will not get you out of trouble. Of course, I repair lots of Spectra's and allways am able to get the radio's 'code plug' straightened out.

But I have seen some very bad 'hack' jobs, and whole lot of very piss poor repairs on Spectras..
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

A3 mode names

Post by VE3TUH »

How does mode names on an A3 work? As the A3 display is a 2 digit display, I do not understand how naming modes instead of numbering them would work.

Randy
streaker

Post by streaker »

I couldn't read it due to the security housing error, Software showed error 81, and I think the radio was showing error 49/10 if I remember right. So I cloned a codeplug of the same model number into it. I have everything working correct as far as I can tell, the only thing I can't seem to be able to do is add mode names, telling me it is unavailable. The only plug I had for a T83 was from a HHCH radio.

From what I was reading I should be able to clone another codeplug that allows mode names, and I should be able to use the A9 head as advertised. Is that correct? I certainly don't know too much about these critters, but I am learning. The guy I was working on this for has another drawer coming, but I was hoping to get this one working right for him.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Spectra T83GXA7HA9AK Codeplug needed

Post by kc7gr »

streaker wrote:I can't believe this codeplug isn't easy to find with as many HHCH Spectras are floating around. Looking for a good T83GXA7HA9AK codeplug for a A9 Spectra. The only ones I can find will not allow me to use the Mode names, and I need one that will allow the use of mode names. email address is: eastroik(at)direcway.com

Thanks
You should be able to find everything you need at:

http://www.codeplugsupersite.com/

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
streaker

Post by streaker »

The SPECTVHF.A9 codeplug from the supersite is the one I used, the only T83 codeplug there, and it is the one that will not allow the use of mode names or access to the control head buttons. So I am still in need of a codeplug for this that will allow the use of all the A9 features.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

streaker wrote:The SPECTVHF.A9 codeplug from the supersite is the one I used, the only T83 codeplug there, and it is the one that will not allow the use of mode names or access to the control head buttons. So I am still in need of a codeplug for this that will allow the use of all the A9 features.
I thought I had posted my own A9's image... Guess I forgot. I'll do that later this evening.

Anyway... Keep in mind that the codeplug is not the only factor in determining available features. The firmware version of your memory module also has a big effect. As one example, MLMs below version 6.10 (I think that's it anyway) do not support Zone operation.

In short: You could get a codeplug image from a late-model radio, but you may find that only a few of its features work in yours.

What version is your MLM?
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
streaker

Post by streaker »

I didn't look at inside the radio at all, so I don't know the version of the MLM. The only thing I am trying to get working is the Mode Names, and the ability to enable some of the control head buttons. Apparantely they have been accessed before, because I can use the scan button to scan and edit the list. The guy I am working on this for is suppose to have another drawer coming eventually, but if I could be the mode names working on this one for him it would be nice.
streaker

Post by streaker »

I am still in need of a codeplug for this project. It shows MLM version 6.14. The other drawer came in, but it was a FWA radio instead of a GXA Radio so it would not clone into the other. Like I said, I could not read the codeplug that was in the radio, so I don't know how it was setup. I am suspecting that if I could get a correct codeplug I could get the mode names up on the A9 head.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Can't you bitbang it?

I converted an A3 to an A7 (back and forth) when testing a setup.

It has been a while but I recall the A7 radio had been converted from an A9 to A3 dual setup. I lost the A7 codeplug somehow so I kept it connected to the dual system so I wouldn't have the ASN security box issues. I then changed it over to an A7 and connected the correct head.

It should be the same for an A9.

mancow
streaker

Post by streaker »

I have thought about trying it, but I haven't worked with bit banging as of yet, so I am kind of reluctant to try it. I figured if I could get a codeplug that matches the model number, and is already flagged correct would probably be the place to start. Why reinvent the wheel is the way I look at it. Of course I may just have to take the plunge and bang it around.
streaker

Post by streaker »

I got a good codeplug from someone off the board here, and the radio programmed up correct for what I need it to. I played with it a little bit, but there is something goofy with the way it receives in scan mode. It tends to cut of bits and pieces of the transmission, plus I have gotten the infamous FAIL 001 code a couple of times, programmed within the band limits. I haven't really looked at it too hard as of yet, but I have a feeling Will may be getting a look at it.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I Know just enough to be dangerous, but I know where to go to get the help I need.
Will

Post by Will »

I 'd be glad to look at it for you. FAIL001 is a common problem, especially in SCAN. Some times the radio RX just cuts out, or beeps on transmit without displaying FAIL001.
streaker

Post by streaker »

Thanks Will. You are correct, it was also doing the beep on Transmit with the FAIL 001 code. Last night I hooked it up to my A9 setup and tried to replicate the problem, or see if it was just the other guys setup. I had no problems with it on my hardware, all I did was swap out the drawers.

The FWA drawer that the guy had gotten is working fine on his setup and he is happy to keep that one in use. I basically got this drawer in trade in the end, and I will eventually have a use for it. I really didn't look at his whole configuration, he did his own installation, but is it possible that a bad ground, problem control head, or something on that order could be causing this problem? I figure when I put the unit to use I will try it out and see how the drawer works then, and if I run into further problems have it worked on.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Kc7gr, I had Spectras with MLM's of v6.02 that did zones no problem.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”