have a dumb ? for you guys

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dawson75
What radios do you own?: the kind you talk on

have a dumb ? for you guys

Post by dawson75 »

? was answered thanks guys for all the help ....

saved me from making a big mistake
Last edited by dawson75 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: have a dumb ? for you guys

Post by Josh »

The MTS2000 is for Smartnet in multiple bands

The MTX8000 is Privacy Plus 800/900

If you're an 800Mhz public safety system, then an MTX8000 can work for monitoring purposes but because it doesn't have the Smartnet/APCO16 feature set, it is a poor choice.

-Josh
dawson75

Post by dawson75 »

so no chance at all of these radios to work ?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

dawson75 wrote:so no chance at all of these radios to work ?

It depends, it can work depending on what kind of system and band you're using.

MTS2000s come in VHF, UHF, and 800Mhz ranges (don't know about 900).. The MTX can be UHF, 800 or 900Mhz

If you use a public safety system, you need a radio with the same features in order for it to work right. The MTX doesn't have the public safety feature sets which set apart a Smartnet radio (mts) from a Privacy Plus radio (MTX)
dawson75

Post by dawson75 »

see here is what i find strange not only do they use mts and spectras and such but they also use lcs 2000 the system im refering to is the jefferson county system in ohio

Jefferson County, OH
County: Jefferson
System Type: Motorola Type II Smartnet
System Voice: Analog
Sysid: 5705
CT: 97.3

whats going on is my friend who is a police officer , his chief is looking to purchase radios to save money but the motorola dealer will program for them ( not having a Michigan repeat here )
i have found two mtx8000's figuring since i had one programmed up to listen and transmit on the "local" conventional channel that it would work on the system.

anyhow just wondering really since spectras , LCS2000 , MTS2000 work , why wouldnt a MTX8000 work heck LCS doesnt have the options the mts does.

i see what you are saying though , just doesnt make since
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Slightly off the topic of this thread, but what features does the MTX8000 lack that the MTS2000 has?

I've read several times that the MTX8000 doesn't cover the public saftey frequencies above 866MHz or something like that, and that it doesn't support the emergency feature.

I've got an MTX8000, it hasn't been hacked (aside from expanding it from 48 modes to 255). It receives just fine on PS frequencies around 869 and such, and although I've never tried it (nor will I ever), the RSS seems to support emergency, in that, I can program the orange button to be emergency. No clue if it would actually work.
akardam

Post by akardam »

I'm scratching my head here, because my MTX8000 will readily accept control channels at least up to 868.7625, and the MTSX software will happily program it as a SmartNet IIi system. What exactly makes a MTX8000 not happy on a run of the mill IIi system?
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

akardam wrote:What exactly makes a MTX8000 not happy on a run of the mill IIi system?
bellersley wrote:Slightly off the topic of this thread, but what features does the MTX8000 lack that the MTS2000 has?
FCC Type Acceptance

Guys, this has been discussed multiple times in the past. An MTX8000 is NOT type approved for Public Safety use, end of story. Yes, you can use a hacked MTX to montior a system, but using it in the field for PD or FD use is dangerous and dumb due to liability. And if the trunked system uses NPSPAC channels, I doubt that the system admin will allow a hacked radio on the system.

A (true) LCS2000 is approved for public safety use, even though it is feature limited.

There's other things that make an MTS different from an MTX besides type acceptance: Securenet capable, 512K RAM controller, tons of flashport options (including the REBANDING mandate), RF switch on the RF deck, etc.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

PS approved.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

You can use just about any Motorola trunking radio on a type II system.
It is when you get into type IIi that things get touchy.
At the local pound, on the desk, for example, was a type I radio.
Some of the garbage trucks ran type I radios.
Everywhere it did not matter.
San Antonio has since replaced the radio system with ProVoice, so all of this is gone.
Houston still has a BUNCH of STX radios, and this trunking system is to be type IIi.
The FEDERAL radios on the Houston/Harris county STARnet are all XTS series radios.
The feds also run 400 MHz trunking in just about every major city, if not all, in the country.
That can be just about anything.
metro121

Post by metro121 »

First of all....
Josh, you need to get the models straight.
The MTX series will either be an MTX8000 for the 800 band or MTX9000 for the 900 band, not UHF or VHF. with limited features.
The MT2000 can be either a VHF, UHF, 800, or 900 band with a few more features than the MTX series.

The MTS series again can be VHF, UHF, 800 , or 900 and will support most features for public saftey trunking or can be flashed to support the features needed except for APCO25.

As far as the MTX8000 being used on a public safety system, if the system does not require the use of all the Smartnet features, it should work just fine. Some of the earlier models did have RF boards that did not support the frequency spectrum and splits as needed for public saftey but all the newer ones will usually work, (at least that is what I have seen).

As mentioned , it will still depend on the system administrator to allow what radios will be used on the system.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

dawson75 wrote:Jefferson County, OH
County: Jefferson
System Type: Motorola Type II Smartnet
System Voice: Analog
Sysid: 5705
CT: 97.3
RadioReference wrote:866.1625* 866.4125 868.2375* 868.6625
Those are NPSPAC channels. An unmodified/unhacked MTX8000 will not transmit on the input to those frequencies. As published in its specs, the transmit range for the MTX8000 is 806-821 and 851-866MHz.

Take it to your system admin and get his permission in writting to use a hacked radio on the system. He's the only one that should be programming your department radios anyway, right?
OX

Post by OX »

The MTX8000 by design does not transmit or receive above 866 because of the type acceptance. There is a flag that can be set in the radio that will enable the ability to access the 866-869 channels. But this voids the type acceptance and technically, the radio becomes illegal. So if your "unmodified" MTX works in 866, then the radio is modified. It's hard to find a MTX with the original options in it anymore.

The MTX can be used legally on a system that uses the 866 band if there are some channels (including control) that are below 866 and all of the TGs programmed into said radio will never use 866 channels. Columbus use to do this until the only available channels that could be bought were 866. Then they outlawed the MTX on the system and forced everybody to MTS radios.

So I venture most admins would mind putting the MTX on the system with 866 channels.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”