HT1250 mic gain

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

olderookie
What radios do you own?: APX6000, XTS5000, Astro Saber

HT1250 mic gain

Post by olderookie »

ok what is the best setting for the mic gain settings I carry this radio and it sounds like crap.

I have looked from the outside for obsrtuction to the mics but it would be wierd for both of them to be blocked.

I am begining to dislike the HT1250 I see good reviews of the PR1500, is the audio any better I don't talk softly into the radio but I don't scream either.

I am tempted to give the HT1250 back and carry my HT1000 again I just like the more channels.
any suggestions?

thanks
Al

Post by Al »

"sounds like crap" is not sufficiently technically detailed to allow much help. The default mic gain settings are 25.5 dB for the internal mic and 28.5 dB if you use an external speaker-mic. There are other settings that can cause your transmit to "sound like crap", for example preemphasis(enabled/disabled) and the companding settings.
olderookie

Post by olderookie »

darn I sound just like one of the cops don't I, LOL

The audio is low and it seems as if unless you talk directly into the mic it makes no difference. witht he HT1000 it make no matter just being close to the mic and the audio is good. I have noticed the dispatcher can not hear me as good on the HT1250.

I just cranked the gain all the way up and it seems to help but how will this effect the inteligability in a noisey enviroment.

pre emphisis and de emphisis were enabled I think this might be it lets see.

thanks
jim

Post by jim »

I set ext mic at 28.5 and disable the pre and de emphasis and mine sound great. I'm not a big fan of the Waris' audio processing and disable it.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Sounds like a narrow/wide band option set incorrectly.

If you use a 2.5KHz deviation setting on a 5KHz channel that may be the result. It will sound low and signals will be weaker.

I'd say stick it on a bench with a service monitor and have it set to specs and you should be allright if its not a narrow/wide band problem.
olderookie

Post by olderookie »

I checked we are still on 25khz so that is set right.

I need to crank the gain back I shut off the emphisis maybe that was it I think it is just the radio itself. I was the purchaser in 2001 so it has been around a while. and it is still not an HT1000.

I think I am on the right track.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”