RSS AND WINDOWS???

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SnoForum173

RSS AND WINDOWS???

Post by SnoForum173 »

I HAVE A LAPTOP RUNNING DOS 6.22 WITH MTSX AND MCS DOS SOFTWARE. IS IT OK TO INSTALL WINDOWS 98 ON THE SAME MACHINE I USE TO PROGRAM MY RADIOS WITH THE DOS SOFTWARE? CAN ANY DAMAGE OCCUR TO THE RADIO? I HAVE HEARD ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA, JUST WANT TO CLARIFY

THANKS
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

If you install Windows 98 as a dual-boot configuration, you'll be alright...BUT...you must use DOS to program your radios. Using a DOS box sometimes works, but sometimes not. Pure DOS is what you want.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If you can dual boot the system, that's the best way. Otherwise, you can load the computer with Win98 and then use the "MS-DOS mode for Games with EMS & XMS Support" icon located in the "C:\Windows" directory. This will cause the computer to reboot into a real DOS mode that works wonderfully. You can even hard-boot the computer in this mode & it'll reboot back into DOS. The only way to get out of it is to type "exit" at the prompt & it'll then reboot into Windows. I've programmed literally thousands of radios of all different types in this manner.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

What we did on our company XP machines is made a small - ~100 MB FAT32 partition, and a dos boot CD. The corporate IT gurus wouldn't go for a dual boot config. You just boot from the CD, and all you see is the small partition as C:. Up until recently, we had everything from Syntor, to MSF, to Spectra, to maratrac to maxtrac to program. This worked fine with IBM T23's and X40's.
At our shop alone, we actually have four of every disk for every RSS on the laptops. Most of the disks from M were never even opened, as the machines were loaded from an image - but they have a subscription for every tech's machine.

Now we're mostly MTS / MCS CPS, but we've still got a few orphans.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”