Suggestions on how to purchase CPS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kdean7

Suggestions on how to purchase CPS

Post by kdean7 »

Anyone have any suggestions for getting authorization from Motorola to purchase CPS? I've applied for a license and was denied. Any hints on how to get it approved?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Get married, have a child, and send it to motorola.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Or move to an area that isn't flooded with the CPS you are trying to get. Use another address if you have one, preferrably one that is in the middle of nowhere.

I live is BFE Spain, so not too many MSS's here. I was approved, it just took them forever to get my order shipped. It also took an act of congress to set up my MOL account.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Which CPS are you trying to purchase? Just curious because there have been a lot of reports on here with trouble getting this or that, but not all in general.

Did they give a reason for the denial??
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
t95mwp
Batboard $upporter

Post by t95mwp »

That is not true,I got my XTS3000/Astro Saber in two days.You have to pay price and that`s all.

Senad
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

t95mwp wrote:That is not true,I got my XTS3000/Astro Saber in two days.You have to pay price and that`s all.

Senad
What's not true?
Scott
KE4FHH
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

I maintain several different radios, so they gave it to me.
JMR
KC2QVO
kdean7

Trenton NJ

Post by kdean7 »

I have contacted Motorola about purchasing CPS for my own HT1550 and CDM1550 as well as supporting the HT750's and HT1250's at my firehouse. They denied my request for a license to purchase. I have Mot shop in the township that has become unreliable in their programming of radios and pagers. Mot allowed me to purchase the pager software and hardware but denied the CPS. Any suggestions (legally) would be appreciated.
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Re: Trenton NJ

Post by kmoose »

kdean7 wrote:I have contacted Motorola about purchasing CPS for my own HT1550 and CDM1550 as well as supporting the HT750's and HT1250's at my firehouse. They denied my request for a license to purchase. I have Mot shop in the township that has become unreliable in their programming of radios and pagers. Mot allowed me to purchase the pager software and hardware but denied the CPS. Any suggestions (legally) would be appreciated.
Have you tried ordering it in the name of your Department? I'm sure M would look more favorably upon a FD trying to buy it, than an individual. If you can work something out with the Department, have the Department order it, and you pay for it? Just a thought.
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

I got our fire dept. licensed rather easily. We have about 30 ht750's. We just switched to UHF and are doing a lot of tinkering with the system. It is a hassle to get a dealer in here and have them work on radios in 4 different stations. (not to mention it costs a load of $$$) I gave them the above reasons and they granted us the Pro Series CPS and the maxtrac and maratrac software without a problem. We also got a Motorola Online account which eliminates the middle man, better prices and makes ordering parts and accessories a breeze. If ya need any help let me know.
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

moto is a strange bear, as my ambulance dept, also w/ 30 HT1250s & 15 CDMs and an assortment of other privately owned M specials was denied from purchasing at all..

it's almost like it's a coinflip decision for them, to approve or deny.
whitenoise

Post by whitenoise »

I have gone through the process and was successful in licensing CPS for HT/EX/CDM.

I believe the key was to list the serial numbers of the radios you currently own along with the authorized dealer (not ebay) they were purchased from - Mororola can trace serial numbers to dealers - I simply indicated that I wanted to "locally" support our radios as the reason. I was granted a CPS license and was up and running within 2 weeks.

Somewhere on this BBS is a detailed description of the overall process - I simply followed the instructions.

thanks and good luck.
LAC-OPS
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 M3, APX7000 R2+V, XTL5

Post by LAC-OPS »

I had no problem buying XTS3000/Astro Saber software either. I just requested it as a private person and 2 days later they shipped it.
Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper »

I told one of my Fire Depts. that need the software for simple programming to mention that they just purchase over $100,000.00 in XTS equipment as well as pro radios. If the big M was not willing to sell them the software, they should and would retract their order and go with Kenwood instead. Nevertheless, they received their software and acct 4 days later.
Last edited by Crimestopper on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

hooknladder wrote: We also got a Motorola Online account which eliminates the middle man, better prices and makes ordering parts and accessories a breeze.
do you honestly think that it is that much cheaper? i mean no sarcasm, serious question...
Suddenly You Were Gone
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

Yes it can be, especially in BFE Pennsylvania, where the /\/\ dealer is 50 miles away. To go through the dealer, you call them, they write it on their order sheet and they might order once or twice a week. Then they get the item and UPS it to me (which can take another 2 days). I am sure somewhere along the line I am paying for shipping 2x. As far as the price difference itself, it is not that dramatic but at least I know I ordered what I needed and I can track the order instead of some line of BS some of the dealers around here give...Convenience is a factor....
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

It's a 140 mile round trip from where I live to get anything programmed. It's to the point that if they deny the rss we need we will have to just send all the radios back to the person that donated them.
I was told that we would probably be denied when I last inquired about it. Why? I haven't a clue and wasn't privledged enough to be told why.

What a crock of ........

I've never in my life dealt with customer "service" like that. It's as if they make a conscious effort to piss off every potential customer that calls.

As for the MOL account. I'm glad some of you like it. It's about the most confusing and poorly designed site I've ever seen.
craig

RSS Purchase

Post by craig »

I have had mixed results with buying RSS/CPS. I tried to buy CPS for the professional series (HT/EX/CDM) in 2000 and was denied as a private individual. I then applied through the Police Department where I work and was approved and we received it in about two weeks. I then applied for System Saber RSS as a private individual and they approved me and I had it in two days.

What really POs me though is how people on this board called me a liar when I posted my experience back in 2000. Just because one person on this board lucks out and for whatever reason is approved to buy CPS/RSS doesn't mean that everyone here will have the same exact experience. Motorola seems inconsistant in how they approve their RSS licenses, but I think it has a lot to do with who you are (Govt or private), where you are located (miles from an MSS), and what you are asking for (ASTRO and Professional series as opposed to discontinued production analog Saber).

Purchasing through a Government agency such as a PD or FD certainly can't hurt your chances of approval. Just remember to adhere to your licensing agreement.
Andy2712
What radios do you own?: XTS2500 m3 VHF

800 # for M

Post by Andy2712 »

Does anyone have the 800 number to M for ordering CPS. I lost it and need to order CP200 software. Thanks.

Andy
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Motorola is more strict on licensing the Waris CPS. Why, I dunno
K8TEK::Tim
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

A few people have said /\/\ thinks it cuts into the local dealers' bottom lines.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just go to https://businessonline.motorola.com/default.asp

There is a sign-up link at the bottom.
Scott
KE4FHH
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

It's a very simple process and involves the following:

Call 6 times and get transferred to everyone from a software development group to some guy in Srilanka because they don't know what you are talking about when you mention an agreement.
Eventually they will end up putting you back on line with the hot sounding chick with the MOL group.
Explain 8 times that no agreement link can be found on the site.

Repeat the above process 3 more times.

You will eventually be transferred to a guy that seems to know what he's talking about.
Ask him about getting licenced he will ask for your user ID.
He will verfy that that your on line account isn't setup for that.
He will then tell you that you are not eligible to buy it.
Why? Don't ask, it has something to do with marketing.
Explian it's a 140 mile trip to the nearest MRSS dealer.
Receive verification that nobody cares.
You will eventually be given a link to an agreement but it will be for the wrong type of RSS/CPS that you need.

In the end you will conclude that they have enough money that they don't need yours.

Final step:

Give up.
Sell your equipment or find another vendor or someone who already has access to the software who can program it for you.

That has been my experience so far and it seems their plan is working perfectly. :wink:

mancow
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Close, VERY close.

I'm in southern Spain and they wanted me to drive 8 hours to Madrid to get my XTS5000 programmed...lol

Well, I kept repeating the steps above and started playing their game with them. I started writing peoples names down and using them when another person would tell me something different. I guess they gave up since they sold me the CPS. I still had to sign the CPS agreement in red ink though... Something about signing something in red kind of scares me...

[Edit] I still have only gotten 2 updates through snail-mail, so I'm glad that MOL works for the updates. I swear they must have the most non-common-sense folks working their...
Scott
KE4FHH

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”