Sys saber3 remains "Disabled"!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radio Intelligence Agency

Sys saber3 remains "Disabled"!!

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Here´s another one,

I disabled my friends sys3 before he took off for a couple of weeks and when he finally got back I couldn´t enable the damn thing again. I told him to keep the battery charged and he even switched batteries and it still remained dead. I then tried to disable one of my own and fourth try it then enabled again. Hmm, that was a little strange so I then tried to disable it and switched channels on the rotary switch and then back to channel five again and now this radio is totally dead too. Maybe I found the error by touching the rotary switch (which I maybe shouldn´t have done) I don´t know but how come it might provoke this error? Or did I miss something here? I can´t say for sure he touched something he shouldn´t but anyway my radio is now dead too.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks. :roll:
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.
akardam

Post by akardam »

How exactly did you "disable" the radio? And why?
Radio Intelligence Agency

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

From the dispatch console. We always do that if a radio is put away for some time in case of a break in.
This problem is new to me I´ve enabled/disabled lots of Jedi radioes and asIII with out probs. BEATS ME!!!
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Diabled Sys Saber.

Post by AEC »

From what it sounds like, there's a hint of insecurity within the business if even a lone radio is left sitting for a time, and 'needs' to be disabled, that's really odd.

I'd simply go into the radio and disable the options that are currently enabled and reload the data back into the affected units.

What's the sense of disabling any radio simply if it's going to be parked on a bench or in a closet for a time anyhow?
That sounds like micromanagement to me, plus a waste of time as well.

If this disabling feature is somehow a 'company policy' I'd rethink that policy if this is a common problem with every radio that's been disabled simply due to non-use.

I could understand this if the radio came up missing from inventory, but not because it's not going to be used for a length of time, that's crazy as it causes problems such as you described.

If I were responsible for the comms inventory, I'd simply lock up all 'unused' radios in a cabinet and allow only a select few to have access to it if this is a security problem, but disbaling a radio simply for sitting idle for a time is strange.

Reprogram it, and disable the features you don't absolutely require, and keep options like 'coded radio inhibit'and 'coded radio uninhibit' enabled if that's what company policy states, but disabling every radio an employee uses and leaves sitting idle due to vacation time or sick leave sounds a bit crazy to me.

Logisitics of this sort leads me to believe this is a common problem, and should be rethought out.

I've seen nothing in the RSS that leads me to believe you can't re-enable options, or the radio itself if it was previously disabled.

Even options like remote monitor and inhibit are diasbled and enabled via RSS, but nothing in there reflects any permanent 'state' once it's been selected.

I would reprogram the radio and run through the options menu and deselect the 'offensive' options that locked up the radio in the first place and see what that does, if anything.

Are you using the radio in trunked or conv. mode?

Were they set up by an FTR in the beginning and that's why you can't re-enable those radios since you don't have the FTR key attached(if used in trunked mode only)?

If simply used in conv. mode, you should have no troubles regaining radio use with the RSS.

Is there some item you overlooked somehow?

Maybe you accidentaly disabled a feature or option you needed.

I've reviewed my R04.00.02 and see nothing within it that totally disables the radio, and since I don't have an FTR key, I can't access those screens anyhow, so that's of little help.

One option that 'may' present a possibility is the 'radio lock' feature if enabled and the password was forgotten, but this only locks you from the keypad if I remember, as in the Saber II and III series, but should not disable the radio as a whole unit.

Check 'Conventional Menu' then [F2] for 'MDC1200 options: Unit ID, RAC Codes, etc.. then look at the lower right side of the screen for 'Selective Radio Inhibit', this option might have been selected accidentally.

If enabled, you may wish to delete this feature in the future.

That's all the help I can give you with the info I was given, I hope it helps.

Good luck reviving your radio/s.

73!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”