ever watch COPS ? what is that radio sound?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

loki71

ever watch COPS ? what is that radio sound?

Post by loki71 »

I found a site once that had recorded sounds that radios make, everything from APCO trandmissions, MDC, to trunk data channels - but I can't find that site anymore, so I'm turning to you guys....

If you watch COPS - they very often play clips of what is supposedly the dispatcher calling, or other units talking, and there's a sound played (I think) before the transmission. Its not as scratchy as data (like MDC), it almost sounds like chimes.

Anyone know what that is?

Thanks,

Richard
d119

MODAT

Post by d119 »

That sound is MODAT. It's a Motorola signalling format dating back to the 70's. It's dubbed over (meaning that it's not actually occuring necessarily when heard on the show, but is inserted after the fact by the editing staff at COPS to add effect).

MODAT is a 4-digit identifier that converts the numeric information into a tone sequence that is sent over the air, and decoded at a dispatch console equipped with MODAT decode functionality.

MODAT was originally available on the MT-500, MICOR, MX series, and a few other select radios. Currently it is available as an option on ASTRO series portables (Digital Saber & XTS 3000 that I know of), not sure if the newer ones offer it or not.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

K8TEK::Tim
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

They also dub over the MODAT to cover up names/vital information of some of the "actors".
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Batlabs ringtones ;)
akardam

Post by akardam »

Heh... what about a medley of MODAT, DTMF, QCII, Singletine, and MDC w/ Pretime? >:)
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Odd to hear MODAT signals these days, depending on where you live, of course...

But to be completely odd, how about a string of GE-STAR and MDC data mixed?

Say STAR and MDC-600 so they dodn't sound TOO vastly different...
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

You'll often here the trunking system talk-permit tones on COPS, as soon as a cop keys up his radio.

It's a set of very rapid beeps.
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

You'll also notice that it's the same clip played repeatedly. It's to cover confidential information (outstanding warrants, last names, etc.)
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Last night, they used an old style phone ringing to cover some radio traffic. It sounded so out of place. That was the only time I've ever heard a phone ring used.

If anyone watched latsnight, the cops were looking for a young black dude breaking into some industrial area. The cop was driving slowly around the induatrial area looking for the dude. Right arounf the time the cop shut off his headlights (trying to be stealth like), you heard an old style phone ring at least 4 times.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

akardam wrote:Heh... what about a medley of MODAT, DTMF, QCII, Singletine, and MDC w/ Pretime? >:)
I made one of those once. It was pretty funny. It had tone remote, MODAT, MDC w/Pretime, DTMF, & G-Star. I can't find it anywhere though.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Aww hell. I made another one.

http://www.kb1fpd.com/id.wav

LONG LIVE MODAT!
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Jay911

Post by Jay911 »

The natural gas plant near my house uses MODAT on one of its frequencies. The MODAT is on CSQ, and voice conversations have a PL tone.
--j.
OX

Post by OX »

Hightower wrote:Last night, they used an old style phone ringing to cover some radio traffic. It sounded so out of place. That was the only time I've ever heard a phone ring used.
Maybe it was a message indicator on the MDT or whatever they're called now. The new ones run with a Windows interface (CE?). I've heard an old style telephone ring come over the air when units are talking on the radio here locally and that's what it was.

How about that "world's worst criminals" show with the ex-sheriff doing all the talking. The overdubs are more annoying than Jane Fonda. It's magical how ALL of the helo footage has the same pilot doing the talking. I turn off closed captioning, mute the show and unmute the commercials.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

JOHN BUNNEL!

John Bunnell's police car after the real police tried to push his pompus ass off a parking garage.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

He actually is/was a cop somewhere in the Pacific northwest. There are OLD episodes of Cops where he is on raid teams.

But yeah, all the overdubbing is annoying - on ALL those shows. Still I wouldn't mind having a radio that does MODAT. I remember as a teenager the police in the next town had MODAT and their MODAT strings were long and rather musical. Much moreso than I hear on any of the samples posted here lately.

Maybe it wasn't MODAT.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I believe he was a sherrif in Oregon. He was a pompus ass then, he's a pompus ass now. I've seen some of the old school COPS episodes with him in them and hasn't changed a bit.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

nmfire10 wrote:I believe he was a sherrif in Oregon. He was a pompus ass then, he's a pompus ass now. I've seen some of the old school COPS episodes with him in them and hasn't changed a bit.
Honorary sheriff. Never got elected to office.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”