What's wrong with the Motorola VISAR ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

poser

What's wrong with the Motorola VISAR ?

Post by poser »

It's nice and small and puts out 4Watts, but I've heard bad things about the VISAR. What exactly is wrong with it? Thanks!
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

they're great when they work...other than that:

they are fragile, the controller board is thin and is attached with clips directly to the front housing of the radio. don't drop it, jar it or get it wet.

the damn flex always goes bad, PITA to replace.

they have crappy battery life with the slim batteries.

the speakers are crap.

other than that, they are nice radios.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Almost every Visar I've had and personally own has really crackily audio on TX and just feels kinda cheap sometimes. Basically it is a folded-over HT1000 in a smaller housing.

Agreed that they are excellent when they work, though. DTMF-Housing ones are just nicer to have as well, for the fact that you get the capability of it. They are more water 'resistant' than proof, if that. But most are problimatic. If you're in the market for one, I would highly suggest looking for a CN or DN revision, those typically have less problems.
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

The ex600 replaced them (I think). I have a kenwood 2170. I like it much better. I have had my hands on all 3.
JMR
KC2QVO
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

There great for your handbag if your that way inclined
(not that theres anything wrong with that)

Nah, they are good for people who never use a radio and keep it on the desk as a paperweight
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Gave one to my wife (with the slim battery) as a cheap alternative to getting a hold of me by cellphone. Small enough to carry in her purse and she doesn't look that geeky using it to get a hold of me.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

I have 3 of them, one in each band to include a Type II 800.
They are my "weekend" radios when I don't want to carry a
full size radio hanging off my belt or stuck in the center console of my truck.

I agree they aren't the most rugged but they are very ergonomic and with the thin battery can slip into a pocket easily.
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

like I said, i have my kenwood 2170, maybe smaller than the visar, more, more featueres, better quality. My squad has 2 visar's. I don't even want them on the rig!
JMR
KC2QVO
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I have a UHF Visar here I bought from Woody99. From the size of it I don't imagine it would tolerate the abuse a Jedi or Genesis would take.

But there's nothing wrong with my Visar. I got it for the wife's handbag but usually it ends up in my pocket if I go out.

If you intend to drop your radio for kicks, this isn't the radio to buy. But if it's for your personal use and you're not a total spaz, there's nothing wrong with a Visar.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
poser

Post by poser »

Thanks!
muggsy09

Post by muggsy09 »

I have one, the only think I would change about it is adding another side button, to use more of the options, but other than that I like it and have had no problems.
D Brown

Post by D Brown »

Hold on to it. A\L board is flimsey.
D Brown
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Visar: Good radio, compact size and easy to program as well, but a BEAR to replace the PA on it if it fries.

The LCD is cheezy, but at least you can invert it, like the MT1000, so you can read it properly when it's on your belt or in your pocket facing a different direction.

One thing I never cared about the radio, was the THIN frame, it has no heat sinking capacity and gets hot during long winded conversations, as I've been known to have.

The standard battery also does not last long if you transmit often, even with short chats, the battery dies fast.

Those NiMh flat cells don't have the capacity a 5 watt radio needs, but it is sufficient for a 5-5-90 duty cycle.

And yes, the controller board is too flimsy and the flex interconnects are too light as well, they will not stand up to repeated case openings.

Watch out for the tiny LCD, it's not very securely held onto the carrier, and it can be popped off quite easily.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”