SYNTOR X 9000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EM-01

SYNTOR X 9000

Post by EM-01 »

I need help Identifying a Syntor X 9000 Radio. Mod# T73KEJ7J04AK I know how to decode this number it is the Chassis nuymber I cany figure out # YUD1033A and get this the Drawer unit has two antenna connectors one mini uhf and one SO-239 both appear factory installed and the mic PTT button is a two position rocker with the letter S to the top and the letter A to the botton.

What is this Thing?

Please help

Control head model# HCN1073A

Thanks
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee County SkyWarn Association
Okmulgee County Sheriff's Office
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
fred.mcguire.jr@gmail.com
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Can you take a picture showing the added antenna jack on it? I have heard about these but never seen one in person!

Would be interesting to see where the mini-uhf is connected inside the radio.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
EM-01

:-)

Post by EM-01 »

No Camera available but, The cable from the Mini-UHF runs to a circuit just to the rear of where the EEPROM chips are located and that area looks a little different from my other Syntor x9000.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
Will

Post by Will »

Those radios are most likly a "SP". The dual mic PTT button is for REPEAT or DIRECT or as on CHP, Station, or Car. So the officer does not have to change channels, just push the button in the direction needed.

The extra antenna connector could be a second receiver.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

This topic has been covered on here a few times before. You might try searching for "X9000 SP", and see what you get.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

There is a small thread to this radio.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ight=x9000

But no much info. The Radio Drawer itself has no SP number whatsoever. With that said on the rear of the control head there is the model number HCN1073A and under that is SP03.

Is this any help. It very well could be a secondary reciever, I will attempt to program this tonight.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

If you can manage to get use of someones digital camera, or even a snap with a camera phone, let me know and i can host the pictures. I would really like to see what the mini-uhf is connected to inside.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

UPDATE**********

I found a Service Record Card inside the radio from the WASHINGTON STATE PATROL. Last Serviced 9-9-1996

Maybee I should give them a Call.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Interesting, so the coax from the Mini-UHF goes to that board just to the rear of the internal options shield?

I wonder what that board actually does then.

It should be possible to remove that board, depending on what connections are to it, and then replacing what is likely SP firmware in the drawer with a convention 32/64/128ch chip.

Have you removed that small board and flipped it over to see what is on it and what other connections are on it? Just loosen the three screws with the black plastic retainers, the one on the board, and the two on the metal bracket.

I wish i had one of these to investigate in person, they keep showing up now and then. There was a guy selling a whole pallet of them on ebay a while back from the WSP, maybe they also had this modification.

HumHead

Post by HumHead »

You might want to drop KC7GR a note and see what he might be able to add to the discusssion.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=39745
EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

Thanks HumHead,

That was the thread I was needing and I Qoute:

This sounds an awful lot like the dual-key mics that Motorola put together for us (WA State Patrol). The 'D' side is likely short for 'Direct' and the 'R' side for 'Repeater.'

The way it works in our cars is that they have a Syntor X9000 (SP06) for the main radio, and a separate Spectra receive-only box called an 'Area Receiver.' The area RX, as its name implies, is programmed for receive-only on whatever area dispatch frequency is primary for the specific trooper.

This way, the trooper can leave their main radio set to their car-to-car frequency, but they'll always have a quick line to dispatch. When they hit the 'D' side (or 'S' in our system, for 'Selected'), they're transmitting on whatever frequency is selected on the X9000 head.

When they hit the 'R' (in our case, 'A' for area) side, they're transmitting on the area repeater or dispatch frequency. All this without ever having to touch the control head.

Doing this PTT trickery required SP radios, control heads, and firmware. As one might imagine, X9000's are getting harder to support, thanks to Motorola's planned obsolescence mode of operation. Our new mobiles are going to be MA/COM M7100's, also in a dual configuration, also with a dual-key mic, so that the area receiver/main transceiver scheme can be duplicated.

Considering that your mic has a 'Y' as the beginning character of the part number, it is almost certainly an 'SP' item itself. It can, however, be modified to be a normal mic with a little rewiring.

I did program the radio this evening and I worked. It's 32 Channel and it worked. But I forgot the control head at the office so I have yet to try it with the head it came with. But it worked on mine. So I believe I can use it as normal.

We Will see tommorrow.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Well, lookee here...

Post by kc7gr »

Hi, Fred,

Congratulations are in order. You do indeed have one of WSP's old X9000's. How you got hold of it is a mystery to me, as I knew Fleet was pulling the things out but I didn't know they'd made it through to State Surplus already.

Anyway... The mini-UHF connector is the output for the area receiver we used in the pursuit cars. The circuit that it goes to is nothing more than a simple resistive splitter, designed to allow two receivers access to the mobile's antenna while the radio is in receive mode.

If you do not plan on connecting a second receiver to that port (you could, admittedly, use it for something like a mobile scanner if you wish), you should attach a 50-ohm termination. If you just leave it open, it'll play havoc with the receiver sensitivity of the Syntor X.

On the dual-key mic: It'll work as a standard mic as long as you remember which side of the PTT bar to press. Check your PM's as well.

Now, you mentioned that you successfully programmed the radio with regular X9000 RSS? I'm surprised. It was my understanding that such a trick wouldn't work unless you replaced the firmware chip in the radio with standard X9000 stuff, and possibly blanked the EEPROM as well.

On the control head: The HCN1073 is a series that is usable on either the X9000 or the Spectra. The 'SP' refers strictly to the head's firmware PROM, not the EEPROM. If you want to use that head as a regular X9000 control head, you may have to change out the firmware (could be difficult to find). Then again, it may work as normal without any changes. I've yet to try that.

I'm still really curious how you got it. Check your PM's.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Bruce, thanks for the information (I was just about to post when your reply came through). BTW, I know the U501 SP06 EPROM kit number is HLN5027ASP06. What I do not have is the U501 SP06 part number starting with 01-. If anyone can post it, I will add it to the web site.
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/images/hln5299b_t.gif
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ahh, so the added board and mini-uhf connector just allows the connection of a second receiver to share the antenna on receive. I assume then that when the X9000 transmits due to the antenna switch it's protected in the same manner as the X9000's receiver.

That could be quite handy! I could use that in a few applications. How hard is it to remove that board and associated cables and return the X9000 to a stock config? I would be willing to trade parts around from a stock X9K if i knew exactly which cables etc, to get that addon board and associated cabling.

EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

Hello Again Everyone,

I had to deliver the entire radio to the equipment shop today so it could be installed in the new car. So I wont be able to attempt to program the control head. The car could be ready tomorrow so I can attempt it this weekend.

I will let you all know as soon as I have the results.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

If you ever encounter any problems with the radio due to that addon board and mini-uhf, just let me know. I would be willing to swap parts to get yours back to stock and get that board and cabling for a project of mine.

That would make a good way of adding a scanner without having to add another antenna to the mobile. Of course your probably thinking that now too! LOL

EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

I am actually thinking of a similar operation that Washington was using it for. If I were to put a 2 channel maxtrac (or somthing similar) in the trunk, programmed to my dispatch's freq, hook the mini-uhf connetion to that radio, run an external speaker to the inside of the car and I could hear my dispatch all the time and transmit to them with a flick of the upward button on the mic.

Wheels are turning in my head, First time for everything. :D
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

That's kinda what i was thinking also but just for adding another VHF receiver for all the commercial stuff and just have the ham band stuff in the X9000. A 32ch Maxtrac programmed for all the local PD/FD frequencies receive only, or a scanner, and then just run a cable from the radio/scanner back to the X9000, since it wouldn't be used for transmit i could just put it up front.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

I hope you dont mind me asking but I dont know if I understand this. The X is the main radio. And then there is a second radio connected the the min-uhf connector to use the same antenna as the x. The second radio is a receive only radio, So therefore you transmit on the x no matter which channel you transmit on. Is this correct? If so, how does the X transmit on both channels without you having to change the channel?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Yes, your correct! After chatting back and forth with others and reading everything there is to be had on here, that's exactly how it works.

The second receiver is connected to the Mini-UHF to share the antenna. The secondary receiver is always on the main dispatch channel. The mic has a rocker switch which selects the transmit frequency. It's a bit of SP trickery, firmware and hardware differences, to allow the mic switch to change between the primary transmit frequency that matches the secondary receiver to quickly answer or call dispatch, or flip it the other way and transmit for the channel displayed on the control head.

This sounds really neat to me, and i would have liked to find one of these setups back when i bought all my X9K's. I would have put the secondary receiver on 146.520 and have the secondary transmit set to 146.520, then i could be on any local repeater and if someone called me or wanted to jump to .520 all i have to do is push the mic PTT the other way and i'm there. Would make it really convenient when coordinating between a repeater and simplex frequency.

Although, the biggest problem i assume would be finding the RSS for this setup as i highly doubt Motorola would have it available for sale anymore.

Still, the modification in the radio itself could still be useful to run a secondary vhf receiver, a scanner, for weather alert or monitoring other frequencies that you don't want to be scanning in the main radio. That's what i would probably use one for if the software couldn't be obtained to program it as intended. I was just thinking of putting a scanner with weather alert and SAME programming on the secondary receiver port that way i don't have to monitor NOAA when the weather gets bad, just wait for the alert.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Thanks alot for that explanation. I'd love to get my hands on one of these!
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Same here, but they seem to be a bit "rare"..

Maybe EM-01 would care to share where he found his lurking!

EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

Hello All,

It was purchased off of Ebay by a friend of mine from the following:

Heather Kane
108 Riblen Rd
Chehalis, WA 98532

I'll see if I can find out the Ebay usename.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Cool, let us know the username if you can, maybe that seller has more lurking about!

KC6UNF

Post by KC6UNF »

I too bought one of these off Ebay.
The sellers name is Jaejae7.
She doesn't appear to be have any at this time
but you could contact her and get
some info.
I didn't realize the radio had this feature
until I read the post here!
Hope this helps.

Doug
EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

Well here are an entore LOT of the exact same radio on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Two-Way-ct-32 ... dZViewItem

If you can afford it.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
EM-01

Post by EM-01 »

By the Way, you will need the SP rss for the control head. Once I reprogrammed the drawer with regular rss the control head threw out a strange error code. I'm still researching it.
-Fred L. McGuire Jr.-
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
KD5FMU
crazyboy

Re: :-)

Post by crazyboy »

EM-01 wrote:Well here are an entore LOT of the exact same radio on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Two-Way-ct-32 ... dZViewItem

If you can afford it.
How about we get someone with alot of $$ to get them and sell them here on the board.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

So programming the control head with normal RSS doesn't work or it just display's an error message but programs?

I would assume that the control head is the biggest part of this setup since it has to detect which side of the PTT switch is used and put the radio on the correct transmit frequency. The radio on the other hand seems to be fairly stock other than the added board and antenna connector.

Which brings another question to mind... Has anyone seen one of the secondary receivers for this setup?? Supposedly it's a Spectra based radio. I wonder if it was powered seperately or if it was connected to the X9K with a passthrough cable like a siren/pa cable for power. It must have had it's own speaker unless there was a lot more to this that we don't knoww.

KC6UNF

Post by KC6UNF »

Hmmmm....
Mine just has a regular mic,no twoway switch.

Doug
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

Back in the day...I actually used these radios in the WSP cars. The audio came through two speakers. One for the "Area" (home channel) and the other was the "Selected" (channel selected on the control head). A trooper could talk on the car-car channel and receive communications from dispatch on the "Area" channel at the same time. They also had an antenna tuner hooked up to the radios. These were a great step up from the GE Master II!, which were still being phased out around 1991.

I'm wondering if Motorola would be willing to sell the SP software with permnission from WSP???
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ahh, so it was like i thought. Both radios did have their own speaker. So i assume that the area receiver was just powered on its own as well or was it piggybacked off the radio end of the control cable for power?

The RSS would be the biggest problem i think. Since the radios were not interfaced in anyway, just shared the antenna, then the area receiver could be replaced with anything, Maxtrac, Spectra, GM300, the list goes on.

twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

There was only the single power switch on the control head. Also an interesting note...The Area channel was programmed with PL. However the operator could switch the PL tone for the "Selected" channel. This was done only when traveling into an area which the Trooper normally didn't patrol (ie: Trooper driving from his home area to the academy). The Trooper would have to select the proper channel and PL tone (they color coded each PL tone) for the paticular place they were at. However if they were to press the "Area" switch on the mic they would be keying up the "Area" channel WITH the home PL tone.

As a side note....They also used the intergrated siren/PA amp and they experminted with inband repeaters
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

There was only the single power switch on the control head. Also an interesting note...The Area channel was programmed with PL. However the operator could switch the PL tone for the "Selected" channel. This was done only when traveling into an area which the Trooper normally didn't patrol (ie: Trooper driving from his home area to the academy). The Trooper would have to select the proper channel and PL tone (they color coded each PL tone) for the paticular place they were at. However if they were to press the "Area" switch on the mic they would be keying up the "Area" channel WITH the home PL tone.

As a side note....They also used the intergrated siren/PA amp and they experminted with inband repeaters
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

It would be neat if someone had pictures of the complete setup. Has anyone seen any of the area receivers? I assume they just put a blank face on them like the 800Mhz data radios since no control head or front panel would be needed.

kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

kb0nly wrote:It would be neat if someone had pictures of the complete setup. Has anyone seen any of the area receivers? I assume they just put a blank face on them like the 800Mhz data radios since no control head or front panel would be needed.
Not quite. From the front, the area receiver looks just like a standard remote-mount Spectra with two D-sub-25 female connectors, one labeled 'Control Unit.'

The backside is where you see the difference. The spot where the high-current DC connector for the PA normally goes is blocked off with a small metal plate. The D-sub 15 accessory connector and antenna connector are in the usual spots.

As for power, it's fed from the 'Control Unit' connector on the front, via the normal 'Switched B+' lead in the control cabling. Audio for the area speaker is drawn from the rear accessory connector.

I will try to get some pictures of the whole shindig later this week.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Great, that would be neat to see.

I assume then since the rear power connector is absent that the PA is also absent in the area receiver as well?

So the area receiver is powered through a passthrough "T" connector inline with the X9K control cable?

twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

Try this for the picture of the spectra.

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spectra8iu.jpg

and I think this was the cable to connect them

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cable7dr.jpg
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well the Spectra makes sense then. But the cable picture appears to be some type of AC cable, they have an outlet on one end of the top ones that show the other side.

Where did you find that picture? Looks like a pile of the X9K's and Spectra's, any chance that they are up for individual sale??

twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

gotta love ebay....

It was an old auction
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

There was a related thread over in 'Hardware Information.' This link points to messages which contain a hyperlink to better photos.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=39745

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

kb0nly wrote:Great, that would be neat to see.

I assume then since the rear power connector is absent that the PA is also absent in the area receiver as well?

So the area receiver is powered through a passthrough "T" connector inline with the X9K control cable?
Your questions got me curious enough to grab one of the junked receivers, and open up the PA section. The board itself is still there, but most of the components are missing. There is no final PA transistor, nor the related passive components. The antenna circuit's harmonic filter is there, as are the PIN diodes for T/R switching, but that's about it.

As for the 'T' connector, that's it exactly. In most configurations, it's a single 'T' cable from the Syntor X drawer to the area RX. In the few configs that are still using the Moto siren (the HLN1185 series), there is one additional cable from the open D-sub 25 on the area receiver over to the siren/PA amp.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, that makes sense, they just kept the necessary components for receive.

I would like to get a hold of the addon board and associated cabling out of one of the X9K's so i can share the VHF antenna for a second receiver in the mobile.

If you or anyone else gets a hold of one and is willing to part with these parts let me know! How is it cabled? Is there a different cable coming off the T/R relay to it then it branches off back over to connection to the filter/preamp board and the added front Mini-UHF? If someone was willing to do a trade i could swap whatever parts are needed to return one to working order after pulling the added parts.

Or if someone has an idea how to do the same thing but easier let me know. The problem is this mod is nice because there isn't a chance of transmitted rf from the X9K going directly into the second receiver, versus trying to cable up something externally.

kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

kb0nly wrote:Ok, that makes sense, they just kept the necessary components for receive.

I would like to get a hold of the addon board and associated cabling out of one of the X9K's so i can share the VHF antenna for a second receiver in the mobile.

If you or anyone else gets a hold of one and is willing to part with these parts let me know! How is it cabled?
<snippety>

The SP involved a T/R relay with a much longer-than-normal receive-side cable. This cable plugged into the resistive splitter board, and then a return cable from the splitter went to the receiver antenna input on the Syntor X's front end.

A second cable from the splitter went to the mini-UHF on the radio's front.

It should be possible to use a standard Syntor X T/R relay if the receive-side cable is CAREFULLY extended.

I'll see if I can dig up the SP manual section on the splitter.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

That's that what i thought, thanks for confirming that!

So basically if someone had one of these and didn't have use for the splitter it could be removed easily enough, just swap the T/R relay for a stock one and plug the hole from the Mini-UHF connector, i got rubber body plugs that would fit that nicely somewhere around here, the local body shop has a big selection of sizes to fill in holes nicely.

Now i really want to find one or someone who wants to work a trade.

twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

The ebay seller mentioned above seems to have one of these for sale on ebay....but $200 for the radio is a bit much though. Considering the last lot of these went for the mid $700 range.....

I't would be fun to play with one though.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I just got one of these! :o

I don't have many questions now that I've read this thread, but I do have one....

Please give me any info you can about the "integrated siren/pa" that someone said is in these radios.

Info on what options to select in the RSS to use it, etc. would be useful.

And, can the drawer unit be programmed by normal RSS to get this to
operate normally without taking out the mods?

Elroy
twowaytekk

X9000

Post by twowaytekk »

I finally have my hands on one of these setups with the Spectra and interconnect cable.

Here are some links to pics of the Spectra. The picture of the back of the Spectra doesn't really show it well but there is a DB15 connector on the back, which is obstructed by a homemade reataining setup fo the DB15 plug.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8742/p1000772jh4.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7174/p1000773kr3.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6391/p1000775ta2.jpg

As an interesting side note the Spectra is programed for TX with talkaround as well, this is according to the programming label left inside by WSP. It is one freq only as mentioned previously.

I'll post more later.

Mark
twowaytekk

X9000

Post by twowaytekk »

I have taken a few more pics of the Spectra opened. I also was able to read the codeplug from the Spectra. The Spectra is only programmed for one RX frequency. Kinda of funny that the TX frequency was still programmed for 146.050 with a PL of 67.0 HZ (and the same talkaround freq). I doubt this had anything to do with the operation, other than being a factory default, though at one point it was programmed with the TX freq as the same of the RX frequency since I have the WSP printout label inside.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/707/p1000776ts7.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7043/p1000777qc3.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9519/p1000778tf8.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1184/p1000779uh3.jpg

The MLM is HVN6017B/HLN6160B VER 3.13

These are read with a high power Spectra cable via the second DB25 connector. They are cabable of 128 modes like any other Spectra. If memory serves me right I believe the volume was preset on the "Area" frequency via minimal volume settings in the Spectra. This one is set to an "8."

Also there are some options listed on the Spectra "W168AESP, W269AWSP, W12BM, W7OBC." I have yet had time to look up all the options, but I thought "W269AWSP appears interesting.

Mark

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”