OEM vs Thirdparty(generic)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Hardwire001
What radios do you own?: Too Many to list

OEM vs Thirdparty(generic)

Post by Hardwire001 »

I got this link from my manager the other day with a quick note of now he understands why I (the service tech) never sell our customers the generic batteries. I thought everyone would benifit from this video.

http://www.filmontage.com/battery.mpg

H.W.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i've been using multiplier batteries for years and never had a problem with any of them. and i think they out perform the factory batteries.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Hardwire001
What radios do you own?: Too Many to list

Post by Hardwire001 »

OK, let me try and put some perspective on this...

I am going to assume that you bought and paid for your equipment out of your pocket, so you have some value put on what is in your hand. So you take care of your radio. :D

Now compare that with the average person who is given a radio from their employer to use. (i.e. warehouse worker, rent-a-cop, factory tool pusher, etc.) how do they treat it ?, Hammer, door stop, the antenna gets used to stir the coffee from time to time. ( I see all kinds of damage to radios every month that I ask myself HOW DID THEY DO THAT :o to this radio)

I have used some generic batteries from time to time and they do work. some have gotten dropped from as little as three feet and the case broke open. My MONEY has and will contiue to go to the OEM.
8)
HLA

Post by HLA »

there definately are real bad low quality aftermarket parts out there and i totally agree, i see radios come in trashed daily from construction companies. i've had ht750's come in that actually had a coat hanger and duct tape antennae on it. and he did that so he could hang it so he could hear it. but again, i have nothing bad to say about multiplier batteries, they have always done me good, performance wise and warranty wise. if i got a new radio with a new battery i'd definately use it, but when it comes time to replace it, i'll get a multiplier. and i feel comfortable selling them to customers. but to each his own, if i was issued one i guess i'd have to take whatever they gave me. but working construction is different than law enforcement or firemen, even if i was issued a radio i'd want to feel safe trusting my life to that radio and i'd want to know that battery was gonna work when i needed it.
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I agree on both. It has been discussed here many times and consistently the opinions are OEM and Multiplier. While some have reported good results with other aftermarkets there has been no consistency. I use Motorola and Multiplier exclusively and don't see any performance difference. I do like Multipliers checkering on some of their batteries to reduce slippage from the hand. As I reported in another thread I was dismayed recently when I bought some new OEM's and found them marked 'Cell origin China' which have for years been regarded as crap. Maybe they've gotten better (or not), but for now it's Multiplier for me.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

HLA wrote:i've been using multiplier batteries for years and never had a problem with any of them. and i think they out perform the factory batteries.
According to the independent testing done for the Motorola white sheet, it appears Multiplier fared the worst over amongst the brands tested (OEM, Honeywell, Multiplier, Battery Zone & Power Products)
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

[/quote]
According to the independent testing done for the Motorola white sheet, it appears Multiplier fared the worst over amongst the brands tested (OEM, Honeywell, Multiplier, Battery Zone & Power Products)[/quote]

Well we're all here to share information and any info. is good. But when
Motorola has 'independent' testing done you've got to be skeptical of the results. Data can be tilted and in this case my 1st question would be is who supplied the batteries for testing ? Did Motorola buy and have them in their mits before submitting them for testing ? Multiplier supplies batteries to the US Gov't. for use on Motorola products so I think they'd be seen as a large competitor, many things can happen
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RadioSouth wrote: Well we're all here to share information and any info. is good. But when
Motorola has 'independent' testing done you've got to be skeptical of the results. Data can be tilted and in this case my 1st question would be is who supplied the batteries for testing ? Did Motorola buy and have them in their mits before submitting them for testing ? Multiplier supplies batteries to the US Gov't. for use on Motorola products so I think they'd be seen as a large competitor, many things can happen
Good question, of course they don't specify. They do specify that Motorola chose the tests.

You can read the white sheet at http://proventough.com/pdf/Motorola_Bat ... _Paper.pdf . There's other marketing stuff too, but I was just looking at the "independent testing."
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

The radios I have are used only by me, and as a result are cared for a lot better than most radios signed out by employers...

I use Moto batteries when they're available, such as the fine $20 Li-Ion XTS batteries I found on eBay one day.... but I like the extra high capacity batteries I can find on the aftermarket lineup that Moto usually never gets close to, such as te 2700Mah HT1250 battery and 4000Mah XTS battery, sure the batts are usually bigger and definitly weigh more, but I get more bang for the buck, but unfortunately my last few experiences have led to shorter life-spans of the batteries, so I'm back to OEM again for now.

-Josh

-edit-

I've also noticed that for HT750/1250/1550 type batteries, the ones that show "cell origin indonesia" last longer and with fewer ill-effects than "cell origin Japan"... which struck me as odd b/c Japan always gives us the best stuff right? WRONG.... but I guess it doesn't matter as much if batteries cells are coming from China now more exclusively.
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

We bought some M8923-HX 4000mAh NiMH Multiplier batteries last year for our XTS5000s and are having pretty good results with them so far. Spot analyzer checks are showing that they are keeping their ratings after months of fairly heavy use (using the Mot IMPRES single-unit chargers). Just depends on how religious the users are at not over- or under-charging them, since they're non-IMPRES batteries. We'll see how they end out this year. I am planning on testing out some of the new M8750-LX 5000mAh Li-Ion batts soon for our backcountry folks who need to use them in the woods for days at a time without getting charged up.

For us federal folks, the M8923-HX batts are selling off the GSA schedule for $31.00 ea FOB destination in CONUS, so it's not a bad deal for these...

Honeywell's rep gave us some demo H8299-M 4000mAh NiMH XTS5000 batts last month and we're testing those out as well. They are made in Taiwan with Japanese cells...
Casey KJ7XE
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I've heard really good things about the Multiplier Brand, and the batteries. I haven't owned too many, but that's just how it goes.

I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of the 4000 or 5000 batteries, I'll have to see if the agency I'm with is elligable for the $31/battery price.

I know of a number of agencies who will buy a M radio with a battery, just to let the battery sit on the shelf. They will then generally use the Multiplier batteries instead since they have been a higher performer.

-Alex
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

I know of a number of agencies who will buy a M radio with a battery, just to let the battery sit on the shelf. They will then generally use the Multiplier batteries instead since they have been a higher performer.
This is what I've seen, mainly because all of our /\/\ batts are 1800mAh, and my guess is that since the Multiplier (or other brand) batts have so much capacity, they can be abused by under/over-charging and still outperform an average 1800mAh battery for a while until its performance drops below that point.

The $31 was for the NiMH batt, they now manufacture a 4000mAh Li-Ion batt, but I was quoted a GSA price of $97 ea. I was quoted $111.50 ea for the 5000mAh Li-Ion batt. Quite spendy.

I haven't tested the RNN4006B 3500mAh NiMH /\/\ batt yet, perhaps they compare well to the Multipliers? The price on MOL is $90.31 (verus $31) so I would hope they would be much better...
Casey KJ7XE
HLA

Post by HLA »

a few months ago when i got my new ht1550 i put my old multiplier 2700mah battery on it and sold the one that came with it to a customer. the thing is that even when a 2700mah battery is going bad and down to 50%, that's still around the range of smaller new batteries. I get 4 days out of mine on a ht1550 and it's over a year old. so if you are only using it for an 8 hour shift you can get years more life out of it when a smaller battery is just done with.
HLA
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Alright, I'll jump in here.

We never had a problem with the Circle M batts or Multiplier batts. When we were running Sabers, we bought Battery Zone and Multiplier batteries. Multipiers laster 10 times longer than the BZ ones. In fact, my main Astro Saber batteries are at least 4 years old and I grabbed them when the dept went to XTS's. All still work. I finally threw out 4 of the BZ ones that just didn't hold a charge. I only held onto them for the AVA.

That's my 2 cents.

W&W's never lasted and there was another one that was just junk.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”