MoFlag(s) for Zones updated

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Will

MoFlag(s) for Zones updated

Post by Will »

What is the paticular location and bit to change to remove the Zone capability from the radio? Reason: radio/MLM will not support zones enabled. Thanks.. D43KXA series Spectra radios.
Last edited by Will on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Well, I'm sure you know that the MLM has to be V6.xx or higher to support zones.

http://www.batlabs.com/moflag.html suggests that bit 4 of MoFlag 7 dictates zone operation... location B688 of the MLM.

If it's an older MLM <V6.xx, Zones aren't gonna happen sadly.

-Josh
Will

Post by Will »

Josh, thanks, and you are correct, I forgot to add the MLM is Ver 5.04 and had been hacked/bb'gd. Of course this is not the only one like this, I run into lots of them doing Spectra repairs.

"bit 4 of MoFlag 7 dictates zone operation... location B688 of the MLM. "
So, how do I figure this one out?? I can read what is in the B688 location on several D43's and get back to you.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Well, what you'd have to do- if you don't have Spectra Lab is take the two digits of hexadecimal and break it idown into binary. The 8 bits that appear either turn on (1), or turn off (0) features on the radio, you can again look at the moflag page to see exactly what which does.

But unfortunately, unless you get a V6+ MLM board, zones won't function, even if enabled on the moflag.

-Josh
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Keep in mind...

Post by kc7gr »

Hi, Will,

One other thing to keep in mind: The MOFLAG bytes are contained on both the command board and MLM (in other words, there's two ranges to deal with). You would need to change the byte(s) in question in both locations, then read the radio and re-write it immediately, to get things to settle down. It could then be programmed with a normal codeplug.

The first trick, of course, is finding a ver. 6.xx MLM.

Nate's instructions in one of the 'sticky' threads under the General Discussion area (look for one beginning 'Are you ready for this') has lots of good instructions. Here's an example to help you along.

Each MOFLAG byte consists of two hex characters, each representing four bits (or one nybble) of the eight required to make a byte. Example:

A4

Since Hexadecimal is based on counting from zero to fifteen, with the characters 0-9 and A-F and F equaling 15, you can translate the hex nybbles to their binary-coded decimal equivalent and you get the following.

A
8 4 2 1
1 0 1 0

8 4 2 1
0 1 0 0

The '8 4 2 1' sequence above the binary digits is the decimal 'weight' of each bit. Since Hex A is equal to decimal 10, you turn on the bits for 8 and 2. 8+2=10.

Same thing for 4: Hex 4 is equal to decimal 4, so you just flip on the bit for the '4' position. 4+0 = 4.

And, in the end, you end up with a MOFLAG string of 1010 0100.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Will

Post by Will »

" to remove the Zone capability from the radio"

I want to REMOVE the ZONE capability from the radio.....
Josh

Post by Josh »

Looking closely, that's what you've typed...

The radio has zones but has a V5 MLM???

Also, if you want to get rid of them, you could always just have the one zone, remove the programming from any button pointing to "zone up" or "zone down" then input all the frequencies into the one zone and it'd be like a radio with no zones.

-Josh
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I think what he is saying is that the MLM was bitbanged for it, and obviously doensn't work and is causing problems.

Just trying to disable the feature in the MLM so the spectra doesn't go crazy.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Will

Post by Will »

Well after bitbanging the Spectra and my brain, I did find the location in the MLM that needed changing.

Seems this Spectra MLM had the exact string mentioned in the MoFlag thead with everything activated.

Thanks to the tips and help here.

Location 6226 was found to be MoFlag 7 and was FF..everything on. But to find that location I had removed all but Mode 1 from the radio, then I could find the string that matched the B681-B690 in the Cmd board. Changed to EF and the Zone problem went away, "Not available" in the RSS.

I still have to correct the other MoFlags to reflect the accual options supported by the Ver 5.04 MLM.
60hzEE

Post by 60hzEE »

Location 6226 was found to be MoFlag 7 and was FF..everything on. But to find that location I had removed all but Mode 1 from the radio, then I could find the string that matched the B681-B690 in the Cmd board. Changed to EF and the Zone problem went away, "Not available" in the RSS.

I still have to correct the other MoFlags to reflect the accual options supported by the Ver 5.04 MLM.
According to my recollection of discussons with Nate, the MLM location of the string is always at the top of the codeplug, so, it moves up as modes are added. Thank goodness it doesn't change locations in the Command Board.

Lee

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”