Upgrade EX500?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

flecom

Upgrade EX500?

Post by flecom »

Is it possible to add a display/keypad to the EX500 to make it into an EX600?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

You can probably get the parts to do it, but finding a way to do it in the software - is probably very few and far between.

No one that I'm aware of has even figured out how to hack the bandsplits on those radios as it stands, I don't see there being any information out there on doing what your looking to do.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

all of that info is now stored in the firmware of the radio, model #, serial #, bandsplit. there has been a rumor that if when you are upgrading the firmware you can swap radios after it would say read the ex600 and then swap it out for the 500 and let it write the new firmware. but i didn't want to ruin a radio trying it. another rumor was using a serial "Y" cable and cut the return on one of the radios and it will completely clone. but again i've never tried it.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

HLA wrote:all of that info is now stored in the firmware of the radio, model #, serial #, bandsplit. there has been a rumor that if when you are upgrading the firmware you can swap radios after it would say read the ex600 and then swap it out for the 500 and let it write the new firmware. but i didn't want to ruin a radio trying it. another rumor was using a serial "Y" cable and cut the return on one of the radios and it will completely clone. but again i've never tried it.
As far as this goes...

I used a UHF HT1250 to "trick" the firmware upgrade software in order to program my VHF HT1250. The end result: "Synth Unlock".... while the model and serial number remained the same, the radio thought it was UHF. I had to use my dad's VHF HT1250 to set it straight. It's a long story as to WHY I couldn't just use my own VHF HT1250, but nonetheless, that was my discovery.

You may be able to do it. BUT, you need the EX600 you want to upgrade your EX500 to first... but if you're going to do that, why not just buy an EX600 and keep it?

-Josh
flecom

Post by flecom »

cause I already have these? and I dont really feel like buying an EX600, wayyy overpriced even on ebay...

oh well, they are pretty worthless to me anyway, I will probably just end up selling them i guess
flecom

Post by flecom »

would that same trick work to upgrade the HT750 to a 1250/1550? I have a few of those too...

also would flashing a low uhf radio into a high uhf radio change the bandsplit?

sorry for all the stupid questions but I havent really worked with /\/\oto stuff that much before, I've always been a GE guy 8)
Josh

Post by Josh »

There's no chance in hell of ever converting an HT750 to an HT1550

Also, it's a firmware mod, not a VCO Mod... you're not going to be able to change bandsplits, I don't know why people think that they can do that... if that's the case, perhaps you shouldn't even consider hacking because then we'll be hearing some fun stories here about "synth unlock" on your radio.

-Josh
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

do you think this can turn a pro7150 into a 1250?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Josh

Post by Josh »

no

The model number did not change, and I am unsure if the serial number did either, as I was still able to write old codeplugs from my VHF HT1250 that "thought" it was a UHF model.

I haven't done much experimentation with it at all, since all my radios are legitimate and are how they should be. It all spawned from a fluke occurence where I needed to trick the software past the first screen because of an error that occured while writing the flash of my VHF HT1250 previously. The radio was stuck in bootstrap mode until it was properly reflashed.

The radio I used was UHF, and as a result the radio ended up thinking it was UHF as well. Both models used were HT1250s.... I later had to use my dad's VHF HT1250 to trick the software and reflash the radio again in order to correct it.

I have not tried making an HT750 into an HT1250.
It's clear that since the firmware program for the HT750/1250 isn't the same as the 1550 that the upgrade is not possible heck the radios don't even look alike, I don't know what kind usefulness could result from that kind of messing around.

One should realize, however, that even if an HT750 could be upgraded to think it's an HT1250, there are issues such as mounting the li-ion battery to the radio's RF/Command board among other probable component differences between the two models, aside from housing LCD and keypad.

Even if it did work out, I don't see the big gain from doing it. By the time the new housing, LCD and other electronics are purchased and assembled, you probably spent the difference that buying a radio that was already an HT1250 would have cost over an HT750 with all the added components. Display boards typically are not cheap. The only advantage I see is if you have a broken HT1250 on your hands with these components already, or were handed a free HT750 to destroy at will.

-Josh
flecom

Post by flecom »

Josh wrote:There's no chance in hell of ever converting an HT750 to an HT1550

Also, it's a firmware mod, not a VCO Mod... you're not going to be able to change bandsplits, I don't know why people think that they can do that... if that's the case, perhaps you shouldn't even consider hacking because then we'll be hearing some fun stories here about "synth unlock" on your radio.

-Josh
well then is there any way to make the EX500 or HT750 go out of band? i have a bunch of the 450 radios i would like to get into ham
Josh

Post by Josh »

Nobody has figured out how to yet.

I don't know if doing a firmware upgrade with a 403-470 radio would do it or not... you may get the fun "synth unlock" with that one.

You're probably best off trading for the proper bandsplit radio.

-Josh

I also wonder if the "trick" would convert an LS model to a standard model.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”