Spectra A7 head problems

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NMFD

Post by NMFD »

I have a UHF A7 Spectra remote mount unit. I cant get the back light on the head to come on when the radio comes on. I have tried to change the setting in the rss. Also I cant get a DEK box to work (hln1241c) I can set it up in the RSS but when I plug it into the back of the head some of the red lights come on and the DEK does not respond. Also when the DEK is programd I get a FAIL 003 to flash on the head. This radio was an A5 remote head when I got it. I changed it to an A7 by buying a new MLM board. And I changed the front plastic on the head and added some buttons. Could this be something with the head it self (EEPROMS, Ect). Thanks again guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NMFD on 2001-09-12 09:35 ]</font>
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

I think the backlight behavior is a firmware issue. I have an A4 Spectra with firmware version 6.16, and an A7 Spectra with 5.04. The A4 gives me several more backlight options in the RSS, and allows for the backlight to be on regardless of the user selected DIM setting. The 5.04 A7 on the other hand will not allow the backlight to be on when the alpha display is on its brightest setting. I haven't found a workaround to this.

I'm not sure about your other questions, though.
John

Post by John »

The options for the "Enhanced Head" including options for keeping backlighting on ony seem to work with some model number heads. If I remember correctly, the non-enhanced head has a circuit board P/N of HLN6075 and the enhanced board is HLN6263. Also, the small interface board between the head and the radio for dash mount has to be a HLN6285 instead of HLN6066. I am not sure if this also affect DEK operation or not.

I think there is also a pin on the option plug you can configure for backlighting/dim on/off.

John
NMFD

Post by NMFD »

Ok my head is a (HLN6020A) The small board in the remote mount is a (HLN6432B) And the board that is on the front of the radio is (HLN6186C) this is the board that the remote cable plugs into. I dont know what firmware I have it does not show up in the RSS and it is not printed on the NEW MLM board. Thanks again
NMFD

Post by NMFD »

I final was able to pull out my firmware version and its (6.16) and a EEversion of 115 I had to use a newer version of Rss to see the fireware version. Im sorry I didn't think of this before and post it the first time.
John

Post by John »

Unfortunately, I do not recognize your control head board number... is this the model number of the circuit board itself and not the whole head?

Most of the numbers I posted before I have found through experimentation. They are not listed in my Spectra service manual (thanks Motorola!). From my experience, it doesn't matter what firmware you have. With the rigth head (and interconnect board) the panel lighting works fine and remembers my last DIM setting on MLM versions 3.23, 5.04, 6.15 and 6.16. So, I don't think it is a firmware issue. I expect it is a control heard circuit board issue.

John
NMFD

Post by NMFD »

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that took the time to help me with this. Also I really would like to thank JMR964 For all the time spent writing E-mails back and forth. For the few of you that might want to know what the problem was I had one of the first A5 heads Motorola put out. I have changed heads and every thing works now. Thanks again

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”