spectra problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9CZV

spectra problem

Post by N9CZV »

I dug out my remote mount 900 spectra to install it yesterday and after I got it installed it comes up with a fail 001 on the display. This unit worked a year ago when i took it out. if i take the control head and mount it directly to the radio it works fine. It fails when i use the remote mount cable. I tried a couple other radios with the same results. Does anyone have an idea where I can look for the problem?

David N9CZV
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Sounds like a bad cable or the remote mount front for the radio, or the remote mount back for the control head if its an A5/A7.

You tried more than one radio with that cable and the same thing happens? Time to start ohming out the cable from one end to the other, pin for pin, maybe a bad connection to the remote front on the radio.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

When the radio powers up i get the display with all my modes displayed but no rx or tx and it flashes fail 001 every few seconds. I will start ohming out the cable tonight
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

"Fail 001" indicates the VCO being out of lock. I wouldn't think a faulty remote-mount setup would cause that.

You might want to leave it set up on the bench as a dashmount radio for awhile and make sure it doesn't flash "Fail 001" at you anymore.. might be a little more wrong with it than the remote-mount kit.
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

I have already done that I can repeat the problem every time. It works as a dash mount. I agree I can't see how a cable could make the VCO not lock.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

This is one of the classic symptoms of leaking electrolytic capacitors. There is a particular one on the RF board that is responsible for the VCO lock problem. However, if one has gone then you should replace all of them. If it has not leaked for too long of a time the PC board traces may still be intact. Since it seems to be at the very beginning of failing, it probably has not leaked for very long or very much yet. It probably has very little to do with the remote mount cable. When its not stable to begin with who can say what will set it off.

If you cannot do the work yourself post a want for some help. Several people here on Batlabs do this type of repair work (I'll let them identify themselves to avoid playing favorites).
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

I changed the radio out with one that works as a dash mount with the same results. Faill 001 when using the remote control cable.
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

I have changed the 4 caps near the audio pa with no results are there any more I need to change?
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

get another remote cable and try again... and while ur at it - which style remote cable are you using?

HKN4356?

that seems to be your problem based upon what you've stated.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

The cable and radio was working together for over a year. I have tried multible heads and radios but no success. I have ohmed out the pins and made sure none were bent.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

When you say you tried a couple of other radios, did you also try different control heads, or did you just swap out the radio part?
N9CZV

Post by N9CZV »

completely different heads and radios

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”