GM300 mod. required

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

proff
What radios do you own?: Maxon,Motorola,Kenwood,uniden

GM300 mod. required

Post by proff »

has any one got the modification for the GM300 to go from 16 ch to 99/100 channels?
Allen C
find me on 27.405 Mhz USB
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Does one exist? I know of the 99ch mod for the Maxtrac, which invloved special firmware which is NLA, and only worked in Lowband. I hadn't heard of similar for the GM300.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
proff

that mod

Post by proff »

i have heard of it but like many articals on the net . it could be crap
i have heard and seen GM300 radios pictured as 99 channels advertised for sale on VK ham classifies
Allen C
jim

Post by jim »

There's a mod for a 40 channel GM300
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: that mod

Post by RadioSouth »

proff wrote:i have heard of it but like many articals on the net . it could be crap
i have heard and seen GM300 radios pictured as 99 channels advertised for sale on VK ham classifies
What you saw was likely channel aliasing. You can alias any of the channels to display up to 99.
OX

Post by OX »

What I remember of the rumors was that you needed Maxtrac Super Lab and special firmware. Never had it, never seen it, but a friend gave me the info.

As for aliasing, on the GM300 and Maxtrac, isn't that called "zone"? The Maxtrac I have has zone enabled and the display shows A1..A8, B1..B8, C1..C8 and so on based on the "alias" that you enter into the RSS (ie mode a mode aliased as 12 would display B4, 26 would be D2, etc.)
proff

GM300 mods

Post by proff »

jim wrote:There's a mod for a 40 channel GM300
tell me more about this
Allen C
proff

Post by proff »

which maxtrac are you talking about?
please don't say the 888, that radio drifts like crazy

OX wrote:What I remember of the rumors was that you needed Maxtrac Super Lab and special firmware. Never had it, never seen it, but a friend gave me the info.

As for aliasing, on the GM300 and Maxtrac, isn't that called "zone"? The Maxtrac I have has zone enabled and the display shows A1..A8, B1..B8, C1..C8 and so on based on the "alias" that you enter into the RSS (ie mode a mode aliased as 12 would display B4, 26 would be D2, etc.)
Allen C
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

A Maxtrac conventional, VHF/UHF, aka a Maxtrac 300.

It can be done, well sort of, if you want a 99ch lowband Maxtrac then it's easy enough to accomplish.

I tried to make a VHF and UHF in the same manner using a hex edited version of the special 99ch RSS but it never worked right. Many have claimed to, none can prove it. If you search back you will find plenty of info about it. There was some guys working on hacking the bandsplit problem with the RSS so that you could do more than just a lowband 99ch radio, but as of yet i still don't know of anyone that made it work.

I gave up on it after trying to convert a VHF and UHF, the firmware and such is no problem, the problem is the SP RSS was made for only lowband splits, the VHF and UHF splits are not available in the RSS. One edited version floating around will let you enter VHF or UHF frequencies but it still doesn't work correctly, the radio doesn't work right after programming.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
proff

99 ch

Post by proff »

please , where can i get this infomation in accesing the firmware?
We have lots of old maxtrac radios
kb0nly wrote:A Maxtrac conventional, VHF/UHF, aka a Maxtrac 300.

It can be done, well sort of, if you want a 99ch lowband Maxtrac then it's easy enough to accomplish.

I tried to make a VHF and UHF in the same manner using a hex edited version of the special 99ch RSS but it never worked right. Many have claimed to, none can prove it. If you search back you will find plenty of info about it. There was some guys working on hacking the bandsplit problem with the RSS so that you could do more than just a lowband 99ch radio, but as of yet i still don't know of anyone that made it work.

I gave up on it after trying to convert a VHF and UHF, the firmware and such is no problem, the problem is the SP RSS was made for only lowband splits, the VHF and UHF splits are not available in the RSS. One edited version floating around will let you enter VHF or UHF frequencies but it still doesn't work correctly, the radio doesn't work right after programming.
Allen C
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

That's the problem, you can't, well not legally anyway.

The 99ch lowband Maxtrac was an SP product made for a Canadian power company, at least that's what i remember being said about it. So it's not something you can just buy from Motorola, and even if it was it would have been NLA by now anyway since all the Maxtrac stuff is going away, some parts are still available, but only while stock is available, once its sold that's it.

And it won't do you any good unless you want a lowband 99ch radio, for VHF and UHF forget about it, i'm not convinced that it can be done now, i spent over a year trying to get one made with the help of others that had more experience with software editing, never did make a successfull 99ch VHF or UHF.

Lowband yes, that's easy enough.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Will

Post by Will »

kb0nly wrote:That's the problem, you can't,
Lowband yes, that's easy enough.
BUT only in ONE frequency range, 42 to 50mHz........

Mr Proff, the only other 99 channel "Maxtrac" is the Maratrac. But the Maratrac PROM may not work in a Maxtrac logic board.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ah yes, thanks Will for pointing that out as well. Only the upper lowband split as well.

I have also played around with the Maratrac, nope, you can't put Maratrac firmware in a Maxtrac. How do i know? I tried it! Yeah, one of those boring days and i thought what the heck, time to experiment.

I couldn't get it to power up on one, i tried another logic board and it powered up but wouldn't read or write. So there must be something else different between a logic board put in a Maxtrac versus one put in a Maratrac, though they look the same. Maybe the processor is different, i should compare the component values one of these days.

proff

maxtrac

Post by proff »

dam
all the radios we have here are 400 mhz band and others are 800mhz banded.
the reference crystal drift alot
Allen C
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

OX wrote:As for aliasing, on the GM300 and Maxtrac, isn't that called "zone"? The Maxtrac I have has zone enabled and the display shows A1..A8, B1..B8, C1..C8 and so on based on the "alias" that you enter into the RSS (ie mode a mode aliased as 12 would display B4, 26 would be D2, etc.)
On the GM300, you can rename any channel a number from 1-99. You see in RSS the actual channel designator AND the name for it which is changeable. You could in fact rename every channel "1," or anything else if you wanted.

The renaming only affects the number displayed when that channel is selected, nothing else.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
OX

Post by OX »

Right, I get that but on mine it groups them kinda like what the trunking maxtracs do but backwards: A1, A2, A3 are displayed when 1, 2, 3 are programmed into that field. The groupings are by 8's so if I wanted C4 to display for mode one, I'd program the alias to 20. It would be nice if I could alias my channels with numbers instead. Is this a difference in firmware?
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Sorry I can't answer your question Ox, I never saw that on a GM300.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
bradlington
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by bradlington »

I did this years ago and would not be able to give exact details.

I managed to increase the channels up to 99 on a standard GM300/ 16ch BUT the channels repeated the channels 1-40 or so --also channels 17-onwards could not be scanned.

Regards BradZS5SWT /ZS5WT
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
proff

100ch GM300

Post by proff »

how did you do that?
bradlington wrote:I did this years ago and would not be able to give exact details.

I managed to increase the channels up to 99 on a standard GM300/ 16ch BUT the channels repeated the channels 1-40 or so --also channels 17-onwards could not be scanned.

Regards BradZS5SWT /ZS5WT
Allen C

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”