MT1000 5 bandsplits??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WA3VJB

MT1000 5 bandsplits??

Post by WA3VJB »

Reading an MT1000 with the RSS software, I see five bandsplits in the tally.

My question is what determines or restricts whether you can switch to the widest of the three upper ranges?

Why wouldn't everyone just go to the middle choice and squeeze a ham band and upper commercial frequencies out of it?

136.0 - 151.0

146.0 - 162.0

***146.0 - 174.0***

152.9 - 174.0

157.0 - 174.0
Charlied
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by Charlied »

You don't choose it.
It's chosen at the factory.
KI4ISE
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The valid bandsplit is determined by the hardware in the particular radio.

If you try to change the bandsplit, strange things happen like the vco won't lock on part of the frequency range.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yup, like they said. The 146-174 split was only available on late revision radios I believe 'CN' suffix. The earlier versions werem't as wide.
Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

Post by Robert HT220 »

I have a VHF 8 ch model H43GCU7180AN with the 146-174 split, just depended on how the radio was ordered. "CN" is the newest version though.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Yeah Paul, especially with the Genesis radios, if you try changing the bandsplit in RSS, the radio tends to cease working. Corrupt codeplugs are something the radios don't like.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

Interesting on the "CN" suffix = newer production.

Is there any list of suffixes to layout, or is it just known that CN is the last. Something like:
Old ---- Newer
AN - BN - CN

(oh and it is a CN, how about that !)

Thanks much. The collective knowledge on this board constantly amazes me.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I just repaired a MT1000 that had been driving me crazy from what turned out to be someone's attempt to change the bandsplit.

The radio was purchased off of eBay and it was an 8 channel radio converted to 16 channels. It was programmed with 2M and MURS frequencies. Reading the radio, RSS showed the bandsplit as 146-162.

The TX aligment was all messed up and the radio went nuts on frequencies between 160-162. The RX would motoroboat, TX go spurious and the VCO go in and out of lock. I discovered that this range corresponded to the synthesizer VCO control voltage level of -8. I thought I had a bad controller or VCO.

I finally checked the model number of the RF and controller boards and discovered it was really a wide-split 146-174 radio. Apparently someone had dumped a 146-162 codeplug in to it to make it 16 channel.

After reprogrammming it to the proper 146-174 bandsplit and a TX realignment it works perfectly.
Charlied
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by Charlied »

Changing from 8 to 16 channels is no biggie.

But the proper band split is.

Pulling the front cover and, unplugging the two bottom ribbon cables from the controller should reveal the proper bandsplit, IF my mind serves me correctly.
KI4ISE
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

WA3VJB wrote:Interesting on the "CN" suffix = newer production.

Is there any list of suffixes to layout, or is it just known that CN is the last. Something like:
Old ---- Newer
AN - BN - CN
The 11th character in all of Motorola's radio model numbers (A, B, C, etc.) show SIGNIFICANT engineering changes for that model. The higher the letter, the newer the change. The 12th digit usually shows the "order packaging" (accessories, etc.) originally shipped.
Dave
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

I am guessing that "CN" is the last known update before production ended.
[hr]

Here's another question, please.

Is there a way to convince the Quik-Call II tone programming to accept 1050hz?

That would be a dandy way to monitor the NWS alert tone and open the receiver.

Looks like the closest I can get from simple frequency entry in the RSS is 1040hz, and sure enough, that is NOT close enough to trigger.

THanks
Paul/VJB
Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

Post by Robert HT220 »

I was wondering the same thing about the WX channel alert tone. TTT for ya.
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

Knowledge acquired !

Enter it out to the decimal point and it will take it.
I plugged 1050.1 in there for both frequencies.
Waiting now for a big storm to see if it will go off.
I can't help but think there's enough wiggle room and distortion on both ends to detect and decode the tone, especially given that it's also supposed to trigger little $10 weather radios made in communist China.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I never tried it but a tenth of a cycle? I'd think that should be close enough. I guess you'll find out. Maybe I'll try it too being here where the weather gets bad from time to time!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
Snow? What's that?!
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

Chris it's not the specific accuracy of the entry but the ability of the software to complete the algorithm out of the number you've picked. Whole numbers feel incomplete to this thing, so it won't take. (theory)
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I meant that being only a tenth of a cycle off, it should be close enough to decode the tone.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
Snow? What's that?!
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

I agree totally Chris, the problem was at the radio end.

Here I was, entering 1050 (nothing after the decimal) and it stared blankly back at me.

It likes 1050.1 or whatever.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

To check the actual band split of the radio, you'll have to remove the radio from the housing, then remove the shield that's held in place by a small screw, then look at the bottom of the radio, there will be two plugs/sockets, you may be able to view the band split info that's printed on the VCO, as this is the actual band split of the radio.

Not all Genesis radios can be converted to 16 channels, as the 2 channel radios I have can not, it repeats 1,2,1,2,1,2 as I suspect many 4 and 6 channel radios will, but I am not absolute on the 8 channel models, depending on manufacture date.

Even the P110/GP300s started doing this in mid '94 due to CPU changes that ended the ability of the use of 'toolkit' software, or direct entry as well.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

WA3VJB wrote:Knowledge acquired !

Enter it out to the decimal point and it will take it.
I plugged 1050.1 in there for both frequencies.
Waiting now for a big storm to see if it will go off.
I can't help but think there's enough wiggle room and distortion on both ends to detect and decode the tone, especially given that it's also supposed to trigger little $10 weather radios made in communist China.
Don't think that's gonna work when entered as an A/B tone. The A/B format looks for a pause between the tones, a continous tone shouldn't trigger it. But, if I recall correctly, there is a signalling option other than A/B that works on just one tone, might be called Singletone in the MT1000.
Also NOAA does a weekly tone test, Wednesday between 11A and Noon
so you won't have to wait for the big one.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The MT1000 supports long "B" tone group call so it should work as long as QCII group call is enabled.
WA3VJB

Re: MT1000 5 bandsplits??

Post by WA3VJB »

Summertime, and the livin' is easy.

Here we are a few years later, and with thunderstorms and a hurricane recently (Arthur) I thought I'd check in.

I wanted to affirm that long tone QuickCall works fine entering 1050.1 as both tones.

Radio can be squelched and muted and will trigger with not only its internal alert tone, but fast enough to hear the remaining duration of the NWS tone itself.

Just pick a NOAA weather radio frequency where reception is strong enough regardless of where you set down the radio. I was on the Outer Banks when Arthur came in and the radio went off helpfully with tornado warnings.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”