do i really need pl tones?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Screwed

do i really need pl tones?

Post by Screwed »

i use my radio to monitor some channels that have pl but not all units broadcast pl.

if i set to csq i should be able to pick them all up correct?
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

yes, if set to carrier squelch anytime a carrier is on frequency strong enough to break squelch you will hear it.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

I wonder if you're listening through a repeater or to the units directly.

Sometimes a unit will use "talk around" which is slang for operating on the output frequency of the repeater. It is done when two units are in the vicinity of one another and they don't want to clutter up the repeater or be heard by everyone else on that system.

If they are initially heard on the repeater and then go talkaround, you no longer will hear them. That's a function of signal strength, not PL tones or lack thereof.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”