Moto equipment for 49 MHz + 6 meters

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w8cmi

Moto equipment for 49 MHz + 6 meters

Post by w8cmi »

I have a customer/friend who wants a programmable radio that will do his 49 MHz business band frequencies (48.96, 49.12, 49.16 MHz) and 6 meter ham repeaters on the traditional 53 Mhz (-1 MHz for TX) splits WITH PL capability programmable per channel. I've found a wideband mobile antenna that'll do the job, now I just need the box to plug in to it.

What Motorola mobiles (if any) are best suited for this job? Which are the easiest to program out of band, and what should I stay away from? Also, how about portables, like the MT1000? Any good suggestions that don't involve Motorola equipment? This will probably be an eBay project. My "official" radio service knowledge died about 10 years ago when GE finally became unrecognizable as a land mobile manufacturer.

Help!!

8) Rick
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Moto equipment for 49 MHz + 6 meters

Post by n7maq »

w8cmi wrote:I have a customer/friend who wants a programmable radio that will do his 49 MHz business band frequencies (48.96, 49.12, 49.16 MHz) and 6 meter ham repeaters on the traditional 53 Mhz (-1 MHz for TX) splits WITH PL capability programmable per channel. I've found a wideband mobile antenna that'll do the job, now I just need the box to plug in to it.

What Motorola mobiles (if any) are best suited for this job? Which are the easiest to program out of band, and what should I stay away from? Also, how about portables, like the MT1000? Any good suggestions that don't involve Motorola equipment? This will probably be an eBay project. My "official" radio service knowledge died about 10 years ago when GE finally became unrecognizable as a land mobile manufacturer.

Help!!

8) Rick
I would go with a lowband Syntor X9000. It has MPL, and will work with no problem.

Jim.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

A modified Maratrac or Maxtrac would do the job. I'd go with a Maratrac myself, for the additional TX power (110 watts versus 60, and yes, it makes a big difference on lowband) and because the Maratracs require no additional modification to the PA board.

And because I know one of the forum cops is going to bring it up, modding either of the aforementioned radios voids their Part 90 certification and makes them "technically" illegal to use on business band frequencies. If you do a realignment after modification and the radio still performs to spec, it shouldn't be a problem, though.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

I don't get it? I have never seen a Syntor X 9000 low band do only 60 watts. The Tx power does roll off somewhat above 50 MHz because these radios were designed when interference with broadcast TV channel 2 was a big problem, so the low pass Tx roll off at the top end is a little tight. Still, I have only seen as low as 90 watts on an unmodified X9K PA deck and I've never had to modify an X9K PA deck. They are 110 watts from 29 MHz to 50 MHz. Since the radio is not modified it retains its commercial certification and as always, the burden for legal Tx purity is on the licensed HAM operator when in the HAM bands.

The only time I would expect to see something as low as 60 watts would be when the radio is connected to a mismatched antenna load, dummy load or bad coax. The radio's SWR sensor will automatically cut the power back when this happens.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I believe Josh was referring to the power difference between the Maratrac and the lowband Maxtrac (which is 60 watt)... not between the Maratrac and the X9K.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Definately the maratrac. I have modified a bunch of them for 6 meters
and if you do the mod carefully youy can still keep it in spec for the
business band especially if you are willing to sacrifice some power in the
6 meter band. Like down to 70 watts or so. Maratrac is a fine radio
for that use. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

tvsjr wrote:I believe Josh was referring to the power difference between the Maratrac and the lowband Maxtrac (which is 60 watt)... not between the Maratrac and the X9K.
Correct. I don't have anything against the X9000s, but they're not too terribly available and more often than not ridiculously overpriced. If all you need is 49 MHz and 6 meters, a Maratrac will get you there for about half of what an X9000 would set you back.
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

I think some of you are way way off base here. There is nothing anywhere in the FCC rules that allows "modding" a radio and then putting that radio on this (licensed) service. If by "modding" you mean changing component values in the transmitter, rewinding or stretching coils and tuned circuits, whatever, will most certainly VOID the type acceptance for licensed service.

I say that if the radio cannot be put on six meters as well as the commercial freq in question by means of a simple alignment twitch, then it's probably illegal.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

My first choice would be the X9000 lowband, it will do everything without any internal modifications or tweaks. Just program and go, the one i had would easily do 100w on 6m.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

I know it's not /\/\, but GE Delta's do a good job down there too. Put the magic prom in an S990 control head, and you've got a front panel programmable, 110 Watt, 6 meter/low band radio.

I looked... Here's one http://tinyurl.com/rgnzj
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

If you get the Mara or Max trac, don't forget to ONLY get the high split, 42-50 radio.
They made 3 band-splits.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

motorola_otaku wrote:Correct. I don't have anything against the X9000s, ......
Sorry, I was reading your reply in context with the X9k reply above yours. No wonder I didn't get it. My apologies for my DUH!

BTW, X9k low bands have been around in the sub $ 100 range and some drawers below $ 50. These are the bargains and there are still people that way overprice them, but its not like the old days when you couldn't find one for less than $ 500. I like the Maratrac, but I would miss the up to 128 mode scan list capability along with the alpha head display.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Well as to moding if you read again what I posted, I noted that
to get full power across the 50 to 54 then coils must be bent just
a bit BUT, I also stated that at a sacrifice of power out of band then
a "no mod" mod would fly since it is only setting the frequency.
To bring up the rec sensitivity The front end and mix coils need to be
tweaked but the FCC could care less about this as long as leakage
specs are adheared to. SO, you CAN do a Maratrac and stay within
the confines of legality. Just depends on the path you take.
The Syntor 9000 is also a fine radio but not as readily programmed
and serviced and not as common. Phrawg
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

The front end and mix coils need to be
tweaked but the FCC could care less about this

And I maintain that under current regulations, that modification is completely illegal. ANY component change away from factory will kill type certification, and by tweaking a coil/ cap or front end component you can and will change such things as the Q and bandwidth.

That radio made it's "type certification" (use whatever term you wish) with the factory spec components installed. CHANGING those voids that.

If you cannot put a radio on freq and in spec, using the "in the book" alignment and programming procedures, then it is not legal
racerman1cars

lowband X9000

Post by racerman1cars »

I second scott's idea. the x9K will do those freqs and don't need to have any mods done so it is legal to use this radio.
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

If you are going to quote me then qoute THE ENTIRE SENTENCE !!
IT states To bring the RECEIVER up to spec you must tweak the
front end and mix. To that the FCC does not care other than
local osc leakage under part 15. I also stated NO mods to the
transmitter if you could sacrifice FULL performance in the out of
range operating area.

Other than that I will make no more comments on this subject other than
we are here to suggest and help, not try to find fault in the offers
of those trying to suggest options to the requestee. PHRAWG
d119

Post by d119 »

phrawg wrote:If you are going to quote me then qoute THE ENTIRE SENTENCE !!
IT states To bring the RECEIVER up to spec you must tweak the
front end and mix. To that the FCC does not care other than
local osc leakage under part 15. I also stated NO mods to the
transmitter if you could sacrifice FULL performance in the out of
range operating area.

Other than that I will make no more comments on this subject other than
we are here to suggest and help, not try to find fault in the offers
of those trying to suggest options to the requestee. PHRAWG
Well said Phrawg... Too many radio police out here these days...

Hope that fly was good.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”