Bad Parts Alert

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tonyknox

Bad Parts Alert

Post by tonyknox »

If any of you have ordered any 01-80355A99 roof mount coax kits with mini-u within the last month, you need to check your stock. Motorola received a bad shipment from their supplier. The ground ring attached to the coax shield is not crimped to the brass fitting. Contact Parts for replacement.
57Shasta

Post by 57Shasta »

Reminds me about a dozen years ago (more?) Mot parts were shipping antenna kits where the whip missed the plating dip. They all rusted bright orange in six months! Who makes these things?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Anyone else have any issues with the Motorola supplied N-Male connectors for RG213/214 made by AMP? Never had a problem up until last year, when the new stock provided fell apart in my hands when simply hand-tightening onto duplexers, etc. We sent back about 1/2 dozen to show how/why they were falling apart...they claim nobody else had any issues & summarily ignored us.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

wavetar wrote:they claim nobody else had any issues & summarily ignored us.
I could've guessed that. We get that more times than not for just about any issue... :roll:

I had a pack that had the same problem not too long ago. I have since decided not even to bother and moved to RF Industries RFN-1006-3I connectors for crimp and RFN-1002-1SI for clamp, although the Pasternack connectors seem to be the most impressive (but at a steeper cost).

Another connector that our installer has had a few issues with is the Mot-supplied P2880376E84 AMP mini-UHF connectors that come with the Spectrum antennas. If the tip isn't crimped/soldered perfectly, any residual metal or solder that makes the center pin wider than it already is can cause the radio's female connector contacts to widen up, causing intermittent, arc'd up connections when a different style connector with a sharp, smaller-diameter center pin (such as a MINI-UHF-1) is used at any point afterwards. We can still use the Amp connectors but the center pin needs to be filed down to avoid this problem. Because of this we've pretty much migrated to using MINI-UHF-1 connectors and have had very few issues with them comparitively.
Casey KJ7XE
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Re:

Post by MotoFAN »

kj7xe wrote:Because of this we've pretty much migrated to using MINI-UHF-1 connectors and have had very few issues with them comparitively.
You mentioned Emerson's MINI-UHF-1?

See this picture http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Emerson ... UHF-14.jpg
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
Will

Re: Re:

Post by Will »

MotoFAN wrote: Emerson's MINI-UHF-1?
See this picture http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Emerson ... UHF-14.jpg
Those are the ones we use. Very good connector.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: Bad Parts Alert

Post by AEC »

I had several Consolette cables for the XTL5000 come apart during installation and resetting the controller DIP switches.
Spin that 'N' female right off the cable without effort.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

What's size of square in crimping die should be used in case with center pin of AMP P2880376E84 / Motorola 2880376E84 mini-UHF connector?

Who is original manufacturer of Motorola 6680388A26 crimping tool?
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

Is the Moto crimping tool any better than the Klein tool with changeble jaws? I have one of those , but finding the Mini uhf jaws is getting to be a royal pain .
One of the connectors came off in my hand while installing the antenna line, so i thought i'd re do both antenna lines.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

MotoFAN wrote:What's size of square in crimping die should be used in case with center pin of AMP P2880376E84 / Motorola 2880376E84 mini-UHF connector?

Who is original manufacturer of Motorola 6680388A26 crimping tool?
I use the Paladin 2653 die for the mini-UHF connector as shown in the above mentioned picture.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

Thanks for the reply.. I ordered a new ratchet style crimper witht he dies I got it from Tessco. blody expensive, but i wanted to get it right the first time!
thanks
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”