Building a Saber I KVL-cable by yourself?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

borisf

Building a Saber I KVL-cable by yourself?

Post by borisf »

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to build a KVL-cable for use with a Saber I from an accessory connector?

I know some pins may have to be swapped, I know there is a special Hirose connector on the KVL.
But is there any fancy circuitry required inside the KVL-cable or is it just a plain connector-connector solution?

Thanks.
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Re: Building a Saber I KVL-cable by yourself?

Post by oh2glg »

It seems that I'm not only one trying to figure out how these beasts should be connected together.. ;)

In my case there's a small twist, since I have a Hirose adapter for Saber (marked with letter D on its back) which should be used for either mic/speaker or Keyload function. As far as I know, it's suitable for both purposes.

I also have a coiled cable with MX300 connector on the other end and open wires on the other end (red, black, green, white and blue). I also managed to get couple of Hirose connectors from local electronics dealer (here in Finland atleast Elfa http://www.elfa.se has these connectors with type HR10A-7P-6P) that are suitable on the adapter.

So, now I'm ahead of task to connect these together. After searching for few hours Batlabs Batboard I didn't get much smarter, since I'm still confised how should these things get together. Anyhow, there was many good bits of information such as pinout of hirose cable.. But I didn't find out which pins from KVL are connected to Hirose connector and does is get Saber into Keyload-mode without making some modifications to the D-marked hirose/saber-adapter? Some factory-made cables do and some don't.

Also I'm confused about how - or rather which way should I read the pins on KVL-connector? There was mixed information about that in some thread as well.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”