Steve Uhrig - Silent Key

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

High_order1

Steve Uhrig - Silent Key

Post by High_order1 »

Steve Uhrig, WA3SWS, and a member of this board, passed away recently.

For the few of you that didn't know him, he was one of the heaviest hitters in the fields of Technical Surveillance and Countermeasures.

Steve's work spanned the globe, and changed the way things are done.

It's tragic that in his last months, he had to fight off jealous pretenders to the throne, but even in his weakest, darkest hours, they were soundly unsucessful.

Steve was one of the smartest people I ever knew, and I am proud to say I considered him a mentor and a friend.

Steve, I will miss you. Weak and weary, I will ponder no more.

Please keep Steve's family in your thoughts and prayers.

-Shawn
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

wow.

didn't hear about this...

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Godspeed, Steve.
craig

Post by craig »

Steve was on eof the most honest guys I ever dealt with. Rest in peace Steve, you will not be forgotten.
AEC
No Longer Registered

SLEEP WELL STEVE....YOU WILL BE MISSED!

Post by AEC »

I have had several business dealings with Steve, and this news is NOT what I needed to hear.

Over the past 2 years, I have serviced several radios for Steve, and he was always a courteous and pleasant man to talk to and deal with.

I for one, will miss him!

73 Steve, keep your eyes and ears at the ready while you are on eternal surveillance!

My sincerest condolences to Steve's family

Respectfully
Ernest A. Erickson
radio-link

Re: Steve Uhrig - Silent Key

Post by radio-link »

High_order1 wrote:Steve Uhrig, WA3SWS, and a member of this board, passed away recently.

-Shawn
Huh, bad news :-( I have bought a KVL from Steve, made the contact via this board, and I have had some email conversations with him, as our jobs at least had some connection points.

He had offered me a deal about some DES stuff a time ago, and I just had been to lazy to take it - I wish that this would not have now made impossible _this way_.

Only knew him from some emails, but I liked this guy...

Ralph.
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

I went to high school with him in Howard County, Maryland, about halfway between Baltimore and Frederick.

We all thought he was eccentric, or, as the term would now be, "geeky," because where most of us guys were into cars and after the girls, Steve was totally immersed in his radios.

One thing that **did** impress us was the fact he was the first on our block to have a Motorola HT220. It was a Converta-Com, D-board or earlier, and totally blew away the likes of us who were toting around the Drake TR-22C, the Standard SRC=146A, or maybe the Wilson 1402 as our ham radio "portables."

It does not surprise me that he went on to the career he has followed. And it sounds like he may have been far more successful than those of us who were instead chasing girls.

There is a website that continues to be maintained in the weeks since his death. This is among the last known photos of him on that site:

Photo page within the SWS website:

http://www.swssec.com/sws_at_work_and_p ... t_one.html
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

WA3VJB wrote:We all thought he was eccentric, or, as the term would now be, "geeky," because where most of us guys were into cars and after the girls, Steve was totally immersed in his radios.
It was the same for me with radios, but I left out the cars and have chosen girls instead :) Anyway, in germany during the 80s the LMR market was divided between Bosch, Telefunken and Pfitzner Teletron, Motorola came up later here, so during school I just could use Icom, Yaesu and Bosch.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
WA3VJB

Re: Steve Uhrig - Silent Key

Post by WA3VJB »

It's been nearly ten years since the passing of Steve Uhrig, known to many on this board.
I just checked the link to his old website, and am delighted to see it is still functional.
Looks like it now stands as a tribute to his work, even though it does not mention that he's gone.

Have a fresh look.

http://www.swssec.com/sws_at_work_and_p ... t_one.html

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”