More Systems Saber questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dorpmuller

More Systems Saber questions

Post by Dorpmuller »

Bear with me 'cause I've been out of this since 1999 and I never had a systems Saber.

I got a bunch of VHF units which all showed as 148-174 and programmed up fine and work relatively well, and I got 'em cheap! 8) Some are con 6, others are con 5 and I got one con 7.

Recently I posted about a receive sensitivity issue with one unit. However, when I checked all of them, they all are not as hot as my regular VHF Saber. The standard Saber is red-hot receiver wise. I have no access to test equipment, just done with each radio on one of the weaker wx channels. Not a good check but adequate to tell me something is amiss.

I use these for railroad monitoring so sens is very important when I'm trying to pick up a 5W detector miles down the line when I'm out photographing trains. (For those that would say 'use a scanner,' forget it. Junk. Won't even discuss that.)

What are your thoughts on this? Indigenous to the Systems and just the way it is or something else?

OT: If you wanna see some of my photos, check here: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4208

Thanks,

Rich
radio-link

Re: More Systems Saber questions

Post by radio-link »

Dorpmuller wrote:Recently I posted about a receive sensitivity issue with one unit. However, when I checked all of them, they all are not as hot as my regular VHF Saber. The standard Saber is red-hot receiver wise. I have no access to test equipment, just done with each radio on one of the weaker wx channels. Not a good check but adequate to tell me something is amiss.
Rich
Did you use one antenna for all your testing, or did you test all the radios with the antennae belonging to them? I have found big differences in antenna performance, even with antennae of the same type.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Dorpmuller

Post by Dorpmuller »

radio-link wrote:
Dorpmuller wrote:Recently I posted about a receive sensitivity issue with one unit. However, when I checked all of them, they all are not as hot as my regular VHF Saber. The standard Saber is red-hot receiver wise. I have no access to test equipment, just done with each radio on one of the weaker wx channels. Not a good check but adequate to tell me something is amiss.
Rich
Did you use one antenna for all your testing, or did you test all the radios with the antennae belonging to them? I have found big differences in antenna performance, even with antennae of the same type.
I ruled out antenna problems.

Rich
ArmsonOeg

Post by ArmsonOeg »

I Have exactly the same problem. Regular Saber's HEAR great, two of the three Systems Sabers HEAR good/ok and one even after being benched still not as good as the other two Systems Sabers.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

ArmsonOeg wrote:I Have exactly the same problem. Regular Saber's HEAR great, two of the three Systems Sabers HEAR good/ok and one even after being benched still not as good as the other two Systems Sabers.
I can not confirm this; all the radios here have similar sensitivity, Saber, Systems Saber, Jedi, Waris - only the XTS5000 are much better than the rest!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Dorpmuller

Post by Dorpmuller »

radio-link wrote:
ArmsonOeg wrote: - only the XTS5000 are much better than the rest!
Yeah, but you gotta be a rich guy for one of those! :cry:

Rich

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”