Trunking 800 radio info....

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

osswaldel

Trunking 800 radio info....

Post by osswaldel »

Looking for information on a mobile radio that will work with the Massachusetts State Trunking system for the cape cod fire departments. I currently have a State issued ID and Memorandum of Understanding and operate on a Motorola STX portable, I am a Deputy Fire Chief with a department that goes mutual aide quite often to cape departments and i am looking for reliable mobile communications. I work usually with vhf-lo, vhf-hi, and uhf i am not up to speed on 800. Im not sure after the rebanding what radio i should be looking for Mcs2000, Lcs2000 etc. Any help would be great i know the presant system is a type 2 smartzone system
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

Welcome to the board! In the future, please don't post the same message in multiple forums.

I don't have a good answer about 800 MHz equipment, but wanted to throw in that the Spectra / ASTRO Spectra / XTL5000 line (in order of older to newer and more advanced) are other contenders for 800 MHz equipment. I'm not sure how rebanding works, just wanted to add a few more for you to consider.

To clarify: you have authorization to affiliate with the MSP system? There've been a lot of problems lately with people not officially-authorized to be on the systems having their radios inhibited, which basically turns them into a brick unless you can convince the system owner or Motorola to undo it. Despite having a shelf full of fancy trunking-capable radios, I use a scanner to monitor public safety trunked systems, specifically to avoid problems with getting my radio zapped.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

If your looking for new an XTL1500, 2500 or 5000 is the current models.
These will be around for a while and if the state goes to digital you will be ready.
If your going second hand then there are still plenty of these on the market.
The Astro Spectra is not the most reliable radio and the MCS series is analog only and no longer in production.
lots ofd agencies are moving to digital so personally I would go for an XTL2500
what options depends on whhat the system is set up for but i assume its SZ .
osswaldel

Post by osswaldel »

Thanks for the info, i am officially authorized i am presently on the system with a portable i just want to have a more reliable wa yof communicating enroute to scenes. I am expecting to pay what i need but would rather try second hand before paying for new since my department only issues me uhf equiptment.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

MSP is SmartZone, and is SLOWLY upgrading to P25 from East to west.

You can buy a radio, new or used, but it will have to be programmed by the MSP authorized shop and they need authorization to put it on the system.

My suggestion would be to check with the powers that be first and see what is allowed on the system. I know and you know that most radios will work, but some have specific requirements on what is allowed and now allowed and are very anal about it.
Last edited by Pj on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Have you addressed with MSP the programming of your portable?

They may have a specific list of requirements/recommended hardware that they will program and maintain.

Make sure that whatever it is your interested in purchasing - that you discuss it with the folks that do your programming.

That way - when you spend the money, you'll be making sure that your investment is good.

-Alex
osswaldel

Post by osswaldel »

My present portable was programmed by the MSP radio shop with an issued ID. Im just not sure what mobiles work now after the rebanding.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Check out the thread titiled "rebanding". I think its a sticky at the top and in there will be the list of what stays and what goes.

Most of the later model radios will work. Anything in the ASTRO line should work (except the radios with the 512k boards)

For mobiles, essentially the MCS2000 is your only hope, or an ASTRO Spectra made after 1996.

If you have the cash, I would see if you can track down an Astro spectra should the system go digital in your area. If not, the MCS is your only choice for a mobile.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Your going to need a radio with rebanding firmware in it - not just one capable.

MTS2000, and all of the newer Astro Portables. There are not many -- if any used portables floating around the market.

Again, the MSP radio shop will be doing the programming, so it's best to ask them what will be the best for you to purchase. They may even be able to do the firmware for you, if you buy a non-rebanded portable.

Again, I highly urge you to talk with these people. We can say oh this is great, and that's good - but you need to make sure that you will be able to actually use the portable on the system.

-Alex
RKG

Post by RKG »

1. You really have only two choices for a mobile.

A) A later MCS2000, if you can find one (they are now discontinued) can be flashed for rebanding (if necessary) and will work fine on the MSP system. In fact, that is what is in most of the cruisers today. Be sure to get a Model 2 or Model 3; stay away from Model 1s, and be sure that the radio has been flashed for SmartZone.

B) Alternatively, an XTL5000, which is the current model. Once again, it should be flashed at least for SmartZone and Conventional. This radio can also be flashed, either when purchased or later, for P25, which some people believe the State is in the process of migrating to. I'd stay away from the XTL1500 and 2500, which are less expensive but have some issues on trunked systems.

2. A good M2 or M3 MCS2000 should cost on the order of $1,000-$1,500. If you have trouble finding one, give me a PM. A XTL5000, new, with SmartZone, will be something like $3,800 on the State Contract.

3. With the XTL, you have a choice of control heads. The A5 and A7 look like old fashioned Spectras, have fewer characters available, and are quite reliable. The O series is more modern but has had some firmware compatibility issues, particularly when remote mounted.

4. You don't say what your home department is, and without knowing more I can't give you a firm opinion about how much more range into the system you'll get from a mobile vs. a portable. If you're on the "south coast" side of the canal, the primary site is Copicut Hill, and frankly the few places I've found where a portable doesn't work are so terrain-affected that I'm not sure a mobile would do much better. If you're on the far side, a mobile would probably give you noticeable enhancement, as there really are no good high sites on that side.

5. Note that there are actually two "D Troop" systems; one on each side of the Canal. In the early days when the MSP was putting Bristol and Barnstable County Fire Departments on the system, a lot of the equipment was not programmed for SmartZone (which will change between the two systems more or less on its own), but rather programmed them as SmartNet simulcast on the Cape side. If you have such a radio and migrate west of the Canal, it will begin to lose the control channel and give you reception problems, and these could be cured by having the portable re-programmed for SmartZone, without having to acquire, program and install a mobile.
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Re: Trunking 800 radio info....

Post by jwb8734 »

osswaldel wrote:Looking for information on a mobile radio that will work with the Massachusetts State Trunking system for the cape cod fire departments. I currently have a State issued ID and Memorandum of Understanding and operate on a Motorola STX portable, I am a Deputy Fire Chief with a department that goes mutual aide quite often to cape departments and i am looking for reliable mobile communications. I work usually with vhf-lo, vhf-hi, and uhf i am not up to speed on 800. Im not sure after the rebanding what radio i should be looking for Mcs2000, Lcs2000 etc. Any help would be great i know the presant system is a type 2 smartzone system
Your best bet to get more info about the MSP system is to check.
http://www.scancapecod.us

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”