GP300: Strange MDC

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

GP300: Strange MDC

Post by fogster »

I'm not overly concerned about this, since it's more of a 'spare' radio, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

On one of my channels in the GP300, I have it programmed for an MDC pre-ID. It used to work fine.

The PTT key is super-sensitive, though, so merely putting your finger on it without trying to apply any pressure keys the radio.

Suffice it to say that the pre-ID no longer works. I get the sidetone, but the sidetone is being rebroadcast over the air, along with background noise. On the receiving end, you hear a very quick burst, not nearly the full MDC ID. (And on my AS3 with ID Decode, it doesn't show up... Which isn't surprising.) I've also noticed that immediately after the sidetone, there's another quick beep.

Anyone have any guess what's going on? (I don't have a programming computer on hand, but the radio worked normally for some time after programming it, so if it's a codeplug problem, it's developed on its own.)
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

Heh, have I stumped everyone?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Sounds like your microphone is becoming 'live' before it's supposed to, allowing the background noise to disrupt the MDC packet. You could unplug the mic & see if your MDC then works normally again. Perhaps some liquid damage is possible?

I've also seen a low battery (and also an aftermarket battery) cause what you're describing...have you tried a different one?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
muggsy09

Post by muggsy09 »

An aftermarket mic could be the problem as well.
GP300 like the P110 transmit the sidetone faintly over the air, they all do it. I have a P110 with an aftermarket mic and the sidetone is heard very clear over the air as well as the data burst. The MDC however woks just fine. Try playing with it is all can suggest.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”