Spectra programming error

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb2dem

Spectra programming error

Post by kb2dem »

I have a trunked spectra. I can reprogram the trunked section but when I add convential channels and hit the Get/save I get a not enough memory error. Any clue.

Thanks
Warren
KB2DEM
xmo

Post by xmo »

I had something like that happen the other day when I was trying a clone operation with the Spectra RSS. The 'not enough memory' error message was from the RSS. I assumed it referred to the computer memory, not the radio's memory.

My computer is running IBM PCDOS 7.0 and like most of the newer MSDOS variations it puts some OS code in high memory. When you run the MEM command, it will report most of the base 640 K is free. Nonetheless, I have had some programs report not enough memory when run in that environment.

I put a blank floppy in the A: drive, issued FORMAT A:/S, and when it was done booted from A:. Even though MEM reports less free memory, the Spectra RSS was able to complete the clone with no error message.

Might be worth a try for your situation....
xmo

Post by xmo »

I'll post a reply to my own reply to clarify this process for those who may not have had a problem like this or who got started on computers in the Windows era [post DOS].

DOS was originally pretty simple, but as application programs began to need more stuff like extended memory, expanded memory, device drivers and so on, all sorts of stuff got added.

A lot of extras get loaded at system startup either in the CONFIG.SYS file or in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Sometimes these things are necessary for one of your programs but interfere with another program. Also, they all use some memory of one kind or another. One way to begin the diagnostic process is to start the machine with what is referred to as a 'clean boot', i.e. a startup where only the minimum DOS gets loaded, nothing else.

You can do that by editing your startup files (and keeping backup copies), but another easy way is to make a simple startup floppy disk.

You put a blank floppy in your drive and then tell DOS to format it with the transfer system option [which makes the floppy bootable]

like this: @ c:/DOS prompt type FORMAT A:/S and press [ENTER]

When it is done, you can press [CONTROL][ALT][DEL] to restart the machine, and assuming your A: drive is set in BIOS to be the first in the BOOT order, the machine will load DOS from A:.

You can then switch to C:\MRSS\SPECTRA (or whatever program you are testing and see what happens.
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Post by VE3TUH »

I think the error you are getting may be a radio memory error. You may want to delete most trunking info if you are not using it, any signalling info if you are not using it, and try again.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Depending on just which model Spectra you have, it will hold one heck of allot of channels (modes) in it. Think I have someplace around 55 trunking type II modes and about 6 conventional modes right now.

Jim
kb2dem

spectra programming

Post by kb2dem »

Thanks to all that replied. I fixed it. It was a memory problem with the computer.

Thanks
Warren

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”