Spectra keypad "Time" button ???

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

phillipsc84

Spectra keypad "Time" button ???

Post by phillipsc84 »

Ok, so I know the actual funtion of it seems pretty obvious. Program this button and when pressed the time shows up. But it doesn't work. at least not for me. I was just messing around and figured I would try this and see how it worked. But as far as I can tell it doesn't. Anyone know how to make it work or what its real purpose is? I have a VHF and UHF spectra and tried it on both. Both are 6.16. RSSI works nicelybut I just can't firgure out the time thing. Anyone know more?
d119

Post by d119 »

Something tells me this was a feature for Metrocom Transit Spectras only...
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Re: Spectra keypad "Time" button ???

Post by fogster »

phillipsc84 wrote:Program this button and when pressed the time shows up. But it doesn't work.
Does the Spectra even support that? I'm not a big Spectra guy, but I've never heard of a clock function. (And it seems like a bad idea overall: I could see Spectras sitting without being programmed for years, and the time getting way off...)
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

I kinda thought it was a feature for trunked systems that have the time sent out over the C.C.

I never put it to use, it was only available on my C9 head or A9 or whatever you want to call it.

-Josh
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

At one point, there use to be a large amount of buttons that seemed to be either for SP products or for future products that never made it out. You use to be able to get the following buttons:

Time
Badge
PVT
S/S
L/S
Menu
Txt
AA
ECC
State
SCC
Xfer
QCII (!!!!)
UNGD
PRTT
Emp#
Pass
Cir
URG

etc etc
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

fogster wrote:
phillipsc84 wrote:Program this button and when pressed the time shows up. But it doesn't work.
Does the Spectra even support that? I'm not a big Spectra guy, but I've never heard of a clock function. (And it seems like a bad idea overall: I could see Spectras sitting without being programmed for years, and the time getting way off...)
Yeah. Spectras don't have a proper RTC, so when you pulled power to it, it'd lose the time anyway.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Hello....

you forgot the FPP button that was available on the FPP enabled Spectra's.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

dude, just for the fact that you even started the message off like cowthief used to should get you a warning! :-)
Pj

Post by Pj »

Hello.

You would be correct.
Starting a FPP thread in the Cowthief fashion would warrant an investagation from the DEA, CIA, FBI, KGB, FYI and NIMBY department.
That would not be cool.
I like pink underwear.

So anyways.....

Anyone have any clue in what radio(s) any of these buttons could have been used in, and with what applications?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

I can help you guys on couple of them:

I got this shot from a friend of mine who work in New York City Transit, they uses Spectra A9 in the 800Mhz for their bus operations, here's a shot of the control head:

Their radio is normally set on the depot the bus assigned to, bus operators don't talk to depot directly, the personality that the radio sit on is receive only for announcements. (ie. diversions)

The radio also monitor 4 citywide channels, one channel for security announcements and is automatically patched to the PA speakers inside the bus, another channel is used for bus operator announcements and is only played inside the driver seat speaker.

The PRTT button is Priority Request To Talk, when the bus needs to talk to command center, they press the RTT button to the right of it, that will allow the bus to enter the queue on the dispatchers screen. PRTT will bump them to the top of the list for any emergency messages

PA, as you might guessed, is the PA speakers inside the bus, this is normally on because the bus operator makes stop announcements using the Spectra handset. Only after the press RTT or PRTT will allow the handset be used as a radio mic.

RtRn is the Route/Route number, they need to enter their bus route number and the run number at the start of their trip.

PASS is the employee ID number, they need to enter that also along with the RtRn at the start of their run, verifying who really is operating the bus.

SEND/CLR, no explantion needed eh? :)
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

Pj wrote: I like pink underwear.

So does Joe Arpaho.
d119

Post by d119 »

Arpaio.

That's a MetroCom Transit Spectra if I recall correctly.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Is there a place that has information on these spectra's? Would be interested in the details of the system and the radios.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I've seen the "time" button used on DGT9000 desksets.

But then again, I don't wear pink underwear. :o :o

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i know the metro com has always intrested me as well
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Josh wrote:I kinda thought it was a feature for trunked systems that have the time sent out over the C.C.
Josh was correct. The "time" button was a feature avalible on trunking systems. The time was aquired from the control channel.

For lots more info on the Spectra radio series, check out Mike Blenderman's website. That link takes you directly to the Spectra section of his site.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

did any one else except NYC use the metrocom
d119

Post by d119 »

I believe Metrocom systems were used in Southern California by a few agencies...
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Anyone know if there are any new features if the METROCOM option (in bitbanger) is enabled? I'm kinda itchy to do that on my UHF Spectra. :)
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

So did anyone ever figure out how to do this? I don't mean to bring this back from the dead but I happened to catch of glimpse of one of these radios in a NJ Transit bus the other day showing the correct time. I'm now kind of curious to know more....
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Post by fchrist16 »

Alex,

Check out what Jim told me just yesterday in this topic. /viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93082

Regards,

-Frank C.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Excellent... It was just cool enough that I had to ask :)

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
motorola_otaku

Re:

Post by motorola_otaku »

d119 wrote:I believe Metrocom systems were used in Southern California by a few agencies...
I came into some surplused C9 800 Spectras from Caltrans a while back. They were set up for multi-speaker, but not Metrocom. They didn't have the TIME button installed on the heads either.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

any pics or video of the nyc transit radios in operation

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”