MT2000 Scan Programming, DRIVING ME NUTS!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

MT2000 Scan Programming, DRIVING ME NUTS!!

Post by kb0nly »

I got a MT2000 here that i am trying to program, i got all the conventional personalities programmed in, assigned them to zones and channels, everything works fine except the GOD DAMN SCAN...

Here is what happens....

I went into the scan lists and set one up for user programmable scan and added the first 15 channels in the radio to the list. I programmed the concentric switch on the channel select to scan program in position B, and i programmed the green button on the side for scan. This is a top display no keypad model.

I then went back to the conventional personalities list and set them all to scan list 1.

Programmed the radio and everything seemed fine, the radio transmits and receives but won't scan. Tried putting it in user program mode and that worked, selected and unselected channels using the green button on the side, that worked. Then flipped the concentric switch back to normal and then pushed the green button for scan. It looks like its scanning, the display shows the Z symbol on the left side, but if i transmit with another radio on any of the channels on the scan list NADA.. It's not scanning i guess.

So i set it aside for a second to look at the list i used to program it and the radio started to emit a solid tone. I shut it off and turned it back on, still a tone after about 30 seconds. I put it back on the RIB and read it, set the scan list assignment on all the personalities to NONE and then programmed it again, now its running fine, no tone and its been on for about ten minutes.

Anyone know how to make the scan work on this bastard??

Please dont tell me to search the board, i have been doing that since about 1pm today. Tried everything in every post and it just does the same thing.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

I'll soon have a top display 2000 myself, if anything pops up, I'll hope you have your figured out already :lol:

Edit... I thought you could not program a top display no keypad for user programmable scan? I might have read that wrong when I looked....
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

If you are getting a continous tone after about 30 seconds, it means the radio is still in scan program mode. On a front display model Scan Program mode usually has a square box on the screen, but on a top display model the regular "Z" will show up in program mode.
Jake
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

But i turned off the user scan program and it still does the constant tone.

Even if i dont set it for user programmable scan and put in a static list it still does this crap.

I guess this radio can't be programmed for scan.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

NSPD

Post by NSPD »

PM sent
Jake
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

In Scan rss your channel numbers are: 1,2,3,4, ect.... not all one's?
And Personality numbers are also 1,2,3,4, correct?
and your 1st. scan list for the first 14 channels In Conventional Personalty are "scan list 1" as you said
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Yep, Yep, and Yep..

kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well unless anyone else has any ideas??

I put it in user scan program with the switch and i can set everything the way i want it, but when i flip the switch back it wont exit the programming mode and just goes to the solid tone and i have to reprogram the radio to get rid of it again.

Anyone know why its not exiting the user program mode????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Maybe this is why I read that you can't use user programmable scan on that config?

Has anyone else had it work ok?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, i got the scan list to work for zone one, but if i set user programmable scan then it kills the radio when i program it, it just turns on in user program mode and stays in it.

It would appear that the top display model is not capable of user programmable scan.

I just created a scan list for each zone and that seems to be working fine.

muggsy09

Post by muggsy09 »

I have my MTS2000 top display set up for user prog. scan.
SB1 (blue)- Nus. Delete
SB2 (black)- Mon.
SB3 (black) scan on/off

Switch below channel knob- Scan Prog.

Mine is working fine, and I can program scan no problem.

You may have some kind of hardware issue. ??????
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

The top display *IS* capable, since I used to have an A4 that did it, but i'm starting to think it could bea firmware issue? What's the firmware on the radio?
Jake
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well this one won't do it, it only lets you set the user programmable scan mode to the concentric switch under the channel select and on the side the button options are very slim.

I ended up setting the green one to scan, the next one to nuisance delete, and the last one to monitor.

Firmware version is who the heck knows.. lol.. Seriously, i don't know. Where do you find that? The radio is packed in a box right now.

Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

kb0nly wrote:
The radio is packed in a box right now.
If it decides to leave home, let me know. It could come to live with me :wink:
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Sorry its not mine, just programming it for someone else.

It operates and scans really nice, but user programmable scan is not possible on it. I tried it a few more times after i got it working on the static scan lists in RSS. If you set ANYTHING to user programmable for the scan the radio starts up with the Z symbol on the display then after about 30 seconds it goes to that solid tone.

It repeatable, so its not something intermittent or a bad codeplug, i tried a couple other backed up codeplugs and still the same problem, so i put the original codeplug back in and programmed a scan list for each zone, works like a champ.

Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Can't blame a brotha' for tryin' :lol:

I've decided to jump into the jedi scene, so we'll see how many question I ask in the new 6 months :D
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

The firmware ver. will show up when you put it into service mode (pressing the side button above the PTT 5 times right after you power the radio up and it goes through self test)
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ahh ok.. Well if i have to pull it back out to change anything else i will check that. Right now its wrapped up in bubble wrap and sitting in a box awaiting shipment.

All i can say is that all MT2000's must not be created alike. This thread got a LOT of pm's in my inbox. Out of about 20 pm's over half of them said they have the same problem, program it as user programmable scan and the radio pukes after 30 seconds from powerup.

Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

You have the 2 position switch set for user program scan in one position. What is the other position of this switch? I recall having similar problems once and the other position was set to "unprogrammed". I found there was a big difference between "unprogrammed" and "blank". Just a thought.

L.E.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I tried setting the second position to unprogrammed, blank, pl disable, tx inhibit, and whatever else it gave me as an option, thinking that maybe that was the problem since there isnt a disable scan program setting or anything like that.

On this radio i don't have the option to set any of the side buttons for scan program, so i have no idea how others are able to do that, but it doesnt give me the option.

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kb0nly wrote: On this radio i don't have the option to set any of the side buttons for scan program, so i have no idea how others are able to do that, but it doesnt give me the option.
I'd say you have an early firmware issue, judging by the above.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

Lake Effect wrote:You have the 2 position switch set for user program scan in one position. What is the other position of this switch? I recall having similar problems once and the other position was set to "unprogrammed". I found there was a big difference between "unprogrammed" and "blank". Just a thought.

L.E.
Interesting point L.E. ! I have a 160ch. front display, full-keypad MT2000
My ABC switch = A=Scan, B= blank (but is for repeater use, with/without PL. works fine) C= Talkaround. If I were to change B from Blank to "Unprogrammed" then "B" don't work. but, that does not help this man!
jim
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I checked the firmware its R02.04 when i press that button five times.

I solved the scan problem! I used a newer version of RSS, V06.07 and that seemed to cure it. On the older version i had when i set the concentric switch to scan program in one position and blank in the other it would stay on scan program regardless.

After programming it with the same switch setting using the newer RSS it worked just find and now the user scan program works!

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

now you can throw away the box & bubble wrap ..... you have a working radio. with scan...

:D
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I wish, but its still not my radio!! lol

Now it will just make its owner really happy. Just for the record, the version i had was prior to v06.00.00, it was old!

Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

kb0nly wrote: Just for the record, the version i had was prior to v06.00.00, it was old!
If we're having a contest, I am looking at

MTSX RVN4097K R04.00.00 15JAN96

Do I win? :lol:

(I guess I should use MTSX RVN4097U R06.07.00 14NOV2002 on mine :D )
Medic137

Post by Medic137 »

kb0nly wrote:I wish, but its still not my radio!! lol

Now it will just make its owner really happy. Just for the record, the version i had was prior to v06.00.00, it was old!
Thanks KB0NLY !!!

I can't wait to start playing with it. :D

Sorry about burning up your laptop. Hope you got the smoke out of the house. :o

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”