P25 HT Confused

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mtitteri
New User

P25 HT Confused

Post by mtitteri »

As I sort through all the Motorola info. on the board (which is great by the way), I only become a bit more confused.

Due to hearing problems, the Ham HT's won't work for me because of their worthless, low, distorted receive audio and small size.

I also like commercial HT's because my fat fingers can actually hit one button instead of all 10 at the same time. I want the largest, heaviest portable that will weigh down my belt. Many people seem to like the XTS3000, but it seems very small to me.

The perfect radio for me seems to be the Saber with the largest battery available. Unfortunately, there seems to be thousands of models, coreplugs, installed features, stolen serial numbers, different features in the same models, confusing RSS software information, etc.

Sorry to complain, but all I want is handheld that actually fits in my hand (not on the head of a pin), that I can program myself and that will do P25 and cover 440-470. I want to buy one legally along with buying the RSS from Mot so I can program my own radio, which I do frequently. I'll also buy a 486DX/100 just to program it. Even though I'm willing to do all that, I come back to being confused about who I can buy from and even more confused about what model to ask for?

Can someone knowledgeable please point me to a very, very specific model number, board revision, feature codes/codeplug and RSS version.

I have no problem spending the $$ and I want to do it right, but I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance.

Mark,
KB2EGB
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Re: P25 HT Confused

Post by RESCUE161 »

If you got an Astro Saber, it would come in one of two splits: 403-470 or 450-520 MHz. Motorola no longer sells RSS for this radio. They now sell CPS which is Windows based, so you don't need a slow computer. Actually, the datser the better. The software sells for $265.00 and you'll get support for it for 3 years. You'd need a RIB and cable as well. Motorola sells the RIB for $200.00 and the cable for $270 or so, but you can get both on Ebay for pretty cheap.

As far as getting a radio that will do P25, you have to make sure that the firmware is current enough to handle it. Flashcode is another thing you should look at, but you can have the radio flashed to do whatever you want.

I too like the Astro Saber line of radios. They are coming down in price, so you should be able to pick up a nice UHF model III radio with a decent flash for less than $500.00.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Mark,

Here is some more info to sort of shortcut your search.

To interpret a flashcode, use this site:
(There are others as well.)
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Flash

For a quick go/no go on flashcodes, be concerned with the
very first number; it should be a "1" and preferably "5". If it's a
zero it means the radio won't do digital as it stands.

If you haven't already done so, go to http://www.batlabs.com and read
up on Astro Sabers under Model Specific Information. The site also
has great info on flashcodes and tons of other interesting Motorola
stuff.

Last, use the Search function on this Board for additional info on
all the terms/subjects you can think of. The Search has been
inoperative at times recently but may be up again; I haven't tried
it in the last week or so.

As Astro Saber 3 in the low UHF split is what you probably want.
The bandsplit IS 403-470 mHz, unlike the analog standard Sabers.
These have been coming down in price recently, but it's still best
to get a return privilege from the seller if you possibly can.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
mtitteri
New User

Post by mtitteri »

Thank you to both...

I looked over the Saber specific info, but some of the models I'm looking at don't correspond to the matrix on Batlabs, ie: code numbers or letters not listed?

I'm attempting to decode Flashcode, Rxx, DSPxxx and model.

I'll continue the search with more knowledge thanks to your help!

Best Regards,
Mark
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

if you definately need p25 then all of the ht's are out, none of them can do it.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
mtitteri
New User

Post by mtitteri »

HLA wrote:if you definately need p25 then all of the ht's are out, none of them can do it.
Now I am really confused :o

If this is a play on words between Astro, APCO 25, APCO-25, p25, P25 and P25, then I get your point and I'll try to be more specific as my digital knowledge increases. You didn't state in your reply, but since we are on the batlabs forum, I suspect you meant that no Motorola ht's can do p25?

I'm also now unsure if you are implying that, while no [Motorola?] ht can do p25, that there are mobile [Motorola] radios in existence that can do p25? Again, just trying to gain insight before I pay the dollars.

The clearest way I can state it is that I need to communicate, via HT, with an APCO 25 UHF repeater that I am fully licensed to use. The repeater is a Motorola, but I have no idea what model.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can give.

Best,
Mark
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

HLA wrote:if you definately need p25 then all of the ht's are out, none of them can do it.
WTF are you smoking?

Mark, Tom and Rescue161's posts are what you need to know. If you like the feel of a Saber, then you need an Astro Saber for P25. Just pay attention to the bandsplit, flashcode, and most importantly, the host and dsp versions. If you find a potential radio that looks appealing, just post the specifics of it here and we'll ensure it is exactly what you want/need.
Wicho
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Realistic Space Command

Post by Wicho »

Victor Xray wrote:
WTF are you smoking?
I think he meant HT1000, HT1250, 1550, etc. At least I hope that's what he meant!
Vote for Pedro.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

that's exactly what i meant
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I the amateur/ham world "HT" is a general reference to a portable radio, not a specific model of portables.

Jason
mtitteri
New User

Post by mtitteri »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Being a newbie is no fun, but I am learning!

I will hopefully have a Saber III candidate tomorrow and will post the vitals just to make sure.

Thanks again to all.

Best Regards,
Mark
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just make sure it's an Astro Saber or it will not do P25 (digital).
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

Lets clarify.

The following motorola portables will do P25:

ASTRO Saber
XTS3000
XTS3500(thanks VX)
XTS1500
XTS2500
XTS5000

possibly the MT1500, but I do no know if motorola has released the P25 software for it.

For the radio to do P25, you need a flashcode that starts in an odd number, usually a 1 or 5.
http://www.akardam.net/moto/decode2.pl?do=flashcode
That is a great flashcode decoder.

If it does P25 it will show up as:
D12 B1 Q806/G806 Q806/G806 APCO 25 Digital CAI/IMBE Operation

More importantly you need to know the firmware or HOST/DSP revision of the radio, information can be found at the batlabs page: http://batlabs.com/astrosab.html

I'm not sure of the firmware that is required on each model, ask the seller and post it here and someone will let you know.
On the XTS3000/ASTRO Saber, I do know you need a DSP of atleast 6.xx.xx.

For the amateur split you need a low split radio with an R in the model #:
ie: H01RDH9PW1BN
That split covers 403-470mHz

Hope this helps.

-Jon
Last edited by emsbuff3240 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jon
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Add to your list XTS3500
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Give the XTS3500 a miss unless you know someone with the RSS for it though.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”