Removing white-out writing from radio case????

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

losangelescop

Removing white-out writing from radio case????

Post by losangelescop »

Hi all,

Recently got a second hand MTX838 top display model. Came with huge ID numbers on the front written in white and slightly faded. I'm guessing it's white out, if not some sort of paint. Tried applying whiteboard cleaner (which is pretty much close to metho in effect) and rubbing, and it still won't come off, it won't even fade a little bit. Anyone know of a way to easily and effectively remove most of this kind of writing from a radio case without having to install a new case from a refurb kit? Any help appreciated, thanks in advance, y'all are always a great help! 8)

Nic.
Motorola, Federal Signal and the MX7000 RULE!
Bruce1807

Re: Removing white-out writing from radio case????

Post by Bruce1807 »

If its white out try isopropl alchhol wipes.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I recently got some AS1's off Ebay with the same stuff. Tried everything to no avail. Was at a gunshow & saw a guy peddling a 12 oz bottle of an orange liquid that cleans everything, & is normally diluted 20:1. He used it at full strength & the writing came right off. Not harmfull to plastics. He said certain hairsprays would also work, but I forget which brand. Good luck. GARY N4KVE
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

If its white out try isopropl alchhol wipes.
Thanks, I'll grab some and try it out..might take a couple days to get to the store, but I'll post the results.
Keep the suggestions coming if you have any, guys! I'll try multiple things before having to spend big $$$$ on a new case :) lol
Nic.
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

N4KVE wrote:I recently got some AS1's off Ebay with the same stuff. Tried everything to no avail. Was at a gunshow & saw a guy peddling a 12 oz bottle of an orange liquid that cleans everything, & is normally diluted 20:1. He used it at full strength & the writing came right off. Not harmfull to plastics. He said certain hairsprays would also work, but I forget which brand. Good luck. GARY N4KVE
Anyone know what the orange liquid is??????
Also I'm pretty sure that all hairsprays would work, or are they each made out of different ingredients?

Nic.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

It's probably a citrus based cleaner. Big Kev's Goo Remover was excellent for that sort of thing, but it is no longer manufactured. Try Woolies, I think they have a similar product.
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

I've used the Mr. Clean Magic Erase auto sponges on some radios and they have cleaned up nicely, one had some white marks on it from being rubbed up against many items and it took them off.
Alex663

Post by Alex663 »

Look for "Goo Gone" it's typically in a citrus (orange) flavor and works amazingly well.

Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

Alex663 wrote:Look for "Goo Gone" it's typically in a citrus (orange) flavor and works amazingly well.
Sampling the product are we?

8)
Alex663

Post by Alex663 »

Conundrum wrote:
Alex663 wrote:Look for "Goo Gone" it's typically in a citrus (orange) flavor and works amazingly well.

8)
It took me a minute to get that.... But it's early :lol:
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Conundrum wrote:

8)
Maybe I'll try that instead of Toilet Duck.

Drink! Drink! Drink!
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

jackhackett wrote:
Maybe I'll try that instead of Toilet Duck.

Drink! Drink! Drink!
LOL sounds like a good alternative hehe..... So far I tried the magic sponges, nail polish remover, whiteboard cleaner and metho, and they have all barely removed anything, only the tinyest bit and almost a whole single capital letter...yet to get my hands on the Goo Remover....It may take a while, but I shall eventually post the results. Any further assistance from Batboard members is appreciated. Thanks peoples!

Nic.
Alex663

Post by Alex663 »

P.S. I've seen it at Wal-Mart and K-mart recently, so give them a try!
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

I have had good luck with WD-40. When all else fails spray a little brake cleaner on a rag, and wipe very gently. This stuff will melt the plastic, and fog plexiglass, USE IT VERY CAREFULLY!!
Oxy-clean does a good job on the white buttons on the front of portables.
ke4zdg
What radios do you own?: Spectras, Sabers, MCS/MTS2000

Post by ke4zdg »

I've pulled scratches out of screens using brake fluid. You might try that also. A little dab will do ya. Make sure you wipe it all off with a clean towel so it doesn't continue to melt the plastic.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I just had to remove some White Out from a radio for the first time the other day, I tried 99.9% alcohol and used a small brush to scrub in a circular motion, it took a couple applications of the alcohol to get it all off but it worked quite well with no harm to the plastic.

For those that didn't get the reference in my earlier post (which was almost Dennis Millerish in it's obscurity) see the fourth paragraph here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Jack_Hackett
ki4cye

Post by ki4cye »

If nothing else works for you find one of the local landline service people and ask for a D-gell solvent towel or some D-gell solvent. Try it somewhere unnoticeable first. It will take almost anything off.
Hope this helps.
FD/NY 9/11/01
We will never forget

ki4cye ''at'' windstream ''dot'' net
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

In order to color engraving on M radios, most use model paint (Testors). you paint the engraved area and the area surrounding the letters. You give it a few minutes to set. then soak a rag rag with lighter fluid and wipe off the surface paint. this takes off the paint on the un-engraved areas without messing with the plastic. we also used to use paint thinner and ocasion, Jiff action cleaner (i dont reccomend this... if you read the label, this stuff is pretty damn toxic.) Frankly, we used quite a few different solvents on our rental fleet radios and i can't think of one that did hurt the housing.

My guess is that the 'white-out' used may just be the same paint, sans the engraving. Give the lighter fluid a try. We never had an issue with hurting the plastic. (i would keep it off any rubber surfaces - buttons, etc.) you may want to clean off the lighter flluid residue after you are done.

I hope this helps!
-werdnuts

VoIP# BAT-CRAP (2727)
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Coleman lantern fuel will remove just about anything from a radio case. Do let it get on any plastic screens or rubber buttons. It'd be a real good idea to remove the battery. Just pour some on a rag and wipe firmly. Probably should do this outdoors. Oh, and NO SMOKING!

Robert
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”