Echo when transmitting

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

suprdav95
New User

Echo when transmitting

Post by suprdav95 »

I just recently installed a GTX 800mhz in my car. I'm a law enforcement officer and so i carry a portable rado on my belt as well as having my mobile radio. I was told that when I was transmitting the other day, there was an echo. Could that have been caused by the volume on my portable being too high? I just hope it's not in my mobile. Thanks.
suprdav95
New User

Re: Echo when transmitting

Post by suprdav95 »

Ok, I fixed that issue by turning down the portable volume. Now when I transmit, it sounds faint and kind od robotic. Any chance it could be the mic. I'm going to go to the Motorola shop on Monday, but I'd love to use the radio in the meantime.
muggsy09

Post by muggsy09 »

I have had the same issue, it happens mostly when I have my portable volume too high and I use the mobile or vise versa, or if I'm standing next to someone at the time and their radio is on. This occurs I believe because there is a slight delay when using the repeater, and the ,ic picks up the background audio from the other radios. It's a normal occurance. Easily fixed by turning down the surronding radios. As far as the robotic sound, if your using digital radios like ASTRO this does happen sometimes or at least I have noticed it from time to time.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Yes. You need to pick one or the other in the car and the other's volume needs to be nearly off.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
judoka

Post by judoka »

Digital tends to have a longer delay than analog (because the vocoder looks ahead over a bunch of voice to achieve compression). That means that digital systems have an echo if another radio is close and has high volume setting and analog systems howl (feedback) in the same situation. I think that the newer vocoder implementations have lower delay but it is still substantial compared to analog. Repeater delay can cause similar echo on analog systems.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Even an newer analog system with a lot of DSP will have delays. This causes echo instead of feedback.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

The GTX series has always been 'touchy' when it comes to transmit audio, especially when there is more than one radio on, and active, as well as in scan mode.

The audio gets picked up easily through the mics and can cause howling and echos when in close proximity of the other radio, and the echo can get serious if the volume on the receiving radio is high enough across a room or vehicle compartment so that the 'echo' sounds like you are standing in a large tunnel.

If you can use Hear Clear, or have the ability to repeat using this option, you should notice a decrease in this effect almost to the point of nonrecurring as the expander/compander shapes the audio and removes specific noisy segments of the speech and levels this instead of the usual wideband mic audio that's normally heard.

H.C also removes a lot of the background noise which can cause the echo effect.

Simply turn down the volume on the portable when in the car, and your problems should fade away.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”